will dont starve together will allow online games between ps4 and pc?

Let's worry about when DST is going to make the Migration to PS4 and be approved by Sony's strict PSN guidelines, then we'll see if cross-platform multiplayer is a viability or not. For now, as per the FAQ:

What platforms are supported?

For now, the Don’t Starve Together will only be available through Steam on PC. It is unclear at this point when or if this will change during beta. We are doing this to focus our efforts on development rather than maintaining separate builds. We will announce support for new platforms as they become available.

hey there guys,

i have a friend who wants to buy dont starve for the ps4 and i was wondering if i can play with him if i have the pc version.

do you guys know if we could play together?

They've said in the last stream that they really want the multiplayer to be as open as possible, so if you want to play and you have a device, you can play with anyone. However, they said that cross-compatibility is still a huge unknown for them and it's low on the priority list right now because they're just trying to get the game to work at all.

hey there guys,

i have a friend who wants to buy dont starve for the ps4 and i was wondering if i can play with him if i have the pc version.

do you guys know if we could play together?

Ah, I honestly think that that's a really, really unlikely thing to happen, as much as I wish it could. For that to be a possible thing, that would mean dealing with Sony and Valve to find some way for the PSN and Steam to interact with each other, along with the fact that the two versions of the game aren't exactly the same. Updating would also be a hassle then, because they would have to release the updates on PSN and Steam simultaneously, which is a problem with Cert Testing and such. I wish it would, but I doubt it myself.

Cross compatibility is still really rare for games in general. I'd like to think that's because PCs have a huge advantage with keyboard and mouse (Consoles can use keyboard and mouse now, but the majority of players still don't, given the option), and since there's not much competition in DST, it'd work quite well. However, it still very much could be a technical issue behind the lack of popularity for cross-platform gaming. Either way, it's definitely far from commonplace.

DST will take a long time to first get the servers up (which won't be as hard but still will be with Don't Starve's roadmapping) but then it has to go though Sony's Certification system which as with Reign of Giants may take somewhere between 1-2 months) as for if servers will work between PC and PS4/Vita is a 99.99% potential no since both versions share many differences despite the new format Consoles use (they changed from a format of Power PC to a modern computer so they share similar hardware) but the servers are completely different as Sony has their own servers and that most likely differs from the DST/Steam Servers.

Archived