Hamachi/Port Forwarding

I can do neither of these things. Hamachi, for some unknown reason, doesn't work on my laptop at all, and through hours and hours of troubleshooting, I haven't been able to make it properly function. I can't port forward at all, and any attempts have either failed, or left me completely frustrated and giving up due to lack of information and, just, blah.

I'm worried that, when Don't Starve Together is released, that I will probably need to do one of these two things. The person that I'm playing with doesn't have the patience to understand Port Forwarding, and it's impossible for us the play through LAN since we live in completely different countries. Will DST need one of these two things? Will the multiplayer actually be simple to set up?

I wish Klei would give us the option to hamachi /port forward but I do know where you're coming from. Me and a friend of mine can't port forward since our routers can't support it but we can hamachi. I had a very old laptop that had fps issues, and went through chargers because it was so old. This was my second laptop and it didn't last long (2 years, and it was a Samsung, not a techie so I don't know the specs of it) and my first one lasted also, 2 years but was an Accer. Both laptops died because of charger problems. Basically, I know where you're coming from due to my problem with laptops

Yeah, but, if neither of us can host the server...

Who will?

JoeW mentioned there being a server list, so perhaps that. Plus there's plenty of us on the forums that'll probably need a third and fourth.   :-) When the time comes, I'll see if i can figure it out with you.

• Developer
Hey guys,

I'll break the silence!

We will attempt UPnP port forwarding first, to see if we can auto-magically forward ports on the server,  if that fails we will use a 'Punch Through' server to allow you two to connect.  This will all be seamless to the user.  Basically, you should always be able to play together!

Hey guys,

I'll break the silence!

We will attempt UPnP port forwarding first, to see if we can auto-magically forward ports on the server,  if that fails we will use a 'Punch Through' server to allow you two to connect.  This will all be seamless to the user.  Basically, you should always be able to play together!

Best thing I have read on these forums for absolutely ages.

Hey guys,

I'll break the silence!

Terraria claimed that it did automatic port-forwarding but didn't - still required Hamachi if you didn't know how to manually do it. Hope that's not the case here!

Hey guys,

I'll break the silence!

Wouldn't a punchthrough server require an external, centralised server to coordinate the handshake? Are you planning to host this(ese) server(s) yourselves?

• Developer

In an ideal world, all game servers would have a properly configured router that forwards all necessary ports.  But most players don't want to deal with all this network mumbo jumbo.  On public networks you usually don't even have the permissions required to do this.

When you host a Don't Starve Together server, we use a technology called UPnP to try to automatically configure this communication for you.  But, as jbeetle pointed out, this automatic port forwarding doesn't work in all cases.

That's why we will be hosting a 'Punch Through' server, to facilitate connections between systems that could not otherwise communicate.  This will be transparent to the user.   From the users perspective, clicking join just works  :joyous:

Archived