The True Meaning of Friendship: Ideas for 'Together'

Just some quick thoughts that came to mind earlier today, how about adding some structures to multiplayer that require two people to build? i.e. I can smack these bunkbeds with my hammer 5 times and get it half complete, but I need someone else to come along to smack it 5 more times for it to be finished and ready for synchronized resting (that should be in the Olympics, just saying).

Boss encounters that are specifically multiplayer could also be a pretty fun idea. I'm not saying Don't Starve Together should go full World of Warcraft raid boss, more like a game of whack a hydra. Like, you walk into a cave and these dragon heads pop out of geysers in the ground and try to bite you. You can whack them on the head to make them retreat back into the hole, but that doesn't do any damage to the ugly, pulpy, pink body hidden underground. No, what you and a buddy gotta do is whack two of the heads simultaneously--that way the hydra has such a collective headache it's body writhes to the surface and you can get a few good hits in on it.

There could also be things like multiple people being needed to stand on buttons and open treasure chests, a few magic spells that need more than one participant, and food("feast") items that are made using a larger amount of ingredients but can feed more that one person (ya take one down, pass it around, 98 bundles of fruit in the fridge)

And that's my current input. Thanks for reading!

I think the idea is wonderful but it seems like the general consensus from other posts is that most people want it to be exactly the same as single player. Those who do not want to play multiplayer (crazies) don't want to feel like they are missing out on content. I personally don't care because I'll play both =D

Klei has already said that there won't be any multiplayer exclusive features, and it would really hurt the game if there were things that you HAD to do with other people, since playing directly with other player is not something that will always happen in servers(most people are probably going to play along others and stuff, but doesn't mean that they're going to be playing together at all times)

and really, the first idea doesn't make that much sense. Why would the player not be able to finish building something, if he already built half of it and still has his arms working and free? 

Klei has already said that there won't be any multiplayer exclusive features, and it would really hurt the game if there were things that you HAD to do with other people, since playing directly with other player is not something that will always happen in servers(most people are probably going to play along others and stuff, but doesn't mean that they're going to be playing together at all times)

and really, the first idea doesn't make that much sense. Why would the player not be able to finish building something, if he already built half of it and still has his arms working and free? 

True, but to be fair Klei also said they'd never, ever release multiplayer. Besides, I never said you'd have to build everything with a friend. What I was proposing were items, like bunk-beds, that would be used for more than one person. That would be the reason two people would have to build it, therefore if you're on a server by yourself those items don't matter to you (why buy a family van when you're a single 21 year old?).

As for this idea not making sense, think of it more as you're designing your half and your ally is designing the other.

The idea that Klei should pander completely to the non-multiplayer crowd at all times is a little unfair. I think it would be more reasonable that they work to please the majority of their fans. Sure, as of now that seems to be the single-players (and I'm fine with that, I looove single player. It's awesome!) but if it does change we shouldn't begrudge Klei for changing with it.

Finally, I'm sorry if my post has made anyone upset :C. I just meant it as a lighthearted way to share my ideas, even if they're not in line with the direction the game is currently going in.

True, but to be fair Klei also said they'd never, ever release multiplayer. Besides, I never said you'd have to build everything with a friend. What I was proposing were items, like bunk-beds, that would be used for more than one person. That would be the reason two people would have to build it, therefore if you're on a server by yourself those items don't matter to you (why buy a family van when you're a single 21 year old?).

As for this idea not making sense, think of it more as you're designing your half and your ally is designing the other.

okay, makes sense now.(just should be something more complex and consistent than the hammer thing)

The idea that Klei should pander completely to the non-multiplayer crowd at all times is a little unfair. I think it would be more reasonable that they work to please the majority of their fans. Sure, as of now that seems to be the single-players (and I'm fine with that, I looove single player. It's awesome!) but if it does change we shouldn't begrudge Klei for changing with it.

It's not so much as just doing stuff for the SP crowd, but about making it about the game in general. If you think about it, the game is was and always will be mainly SinglePlayer. The MP part is just an added feature. So, in a way that people who want to play the core game have a more integrated and full experience of the game, while still having fun with the multiplayer, the best way would be to make multiplayer based and balanced around singleplayer, so that both are balanced and the main mode(SP) has all the features, while the secondary mode(MP) has the most possible without being unbalanced, and not the other way around. Remember, SP is the main game, MP is just an adtional feature

Finally, I'm sorry if my post has made anyone upset :C. I just meant it as a lighthearted way to share my ideas, even if they're not in line with the direction the game is currently going in.

No, offence taken. I was just trying to give feedback(and I'm quite bad at it, both to things I like and things I don't ;) ). I usually try not to offend people for their opinion, just try to share mine with them, and to show the flaws in their thought process

I can see that it would be cool to have certain items that are meant for two or more players. Personally I think a special tier would be nice, like a friendship tab with craftable items. It wouldn't give a huge advantage to people playing solo but I think its good to encourage other players to work together if they are playing multiplayer. Also it wouldn't effect a player either way if they used the tier or not, its basically that way now. People use mods and this makes the game in many ways easier for them to play. Whats wrong with having a little section of special items you can craft? I don't use mods so I need all the help I can get. 

Maybe the hydra could be in single player in the way that bunnymen could help you fight it, too. Players will just make it more fun.

^ This is genius, that's exactly how we could involve single players!

And @LadyAzure, Friendship tier? Couldn't have named it better myself. If we were trying to keep the game based on the single player this tab could also work with Bunnymen and pigs? You could order them to help you build 'Friendship' items, though obviously not something like bunkbeds. Perhaps there could be bigger, fancier items, like a magic altar or a forge? And as for why you can't use pigs or bunnymen in multiplayer, perhaps it could be that characters prefer more skilled handiwork. XD

Well I figured that since Wickerbottom has her own special tier that you can only use as her, then why not one that can only be used by those in MP who have special alliances or friendships? I don't see it harming the game and it would be built right into the core game, just not accessible unless you form a friendship or alliance with another.  Also I think you should be able to have friendships or alliances with multiple players in the lobby so anyone can gain access to the tier if they so choose. 

Not really too fond of structures you gotta build with more than one person. The boss idea sounds good though. Anyone remember the plans for the caves? Not only lava caves but also a confrontation with the body of the tentacle monster where mentioned by Klei. Now the latter sounds like it could make a great multiple players/followers boss battle. It could be the biggest boss encounter in DS, with multiple phases and all that goodness. Something like a few tentapillars protecting the weak spot of the abomination, and you can only attack the weak spot when all the tentapillars are neutralized. You'd have to hurry since after a little while they will recover from their injuries and defend the body again. Attacks like causing an earthquake and tentacles emerging from the ground, following everyone could be included aswell. Plus, something to conquer in endgame, together! :)

Not really too fond of structures you gotta build with more than one person. The boss idea sounds good though. Anyone remember the plans for the caves? Not only lava caves but also a confrontation with the body of the tentacle monster where mentioned by Klei. Now the latter sounds like it could make a great multiple players/followers boss battle. It could be the biggest boss encounter in DS, with multiple phases and all that goodness. Something like a few tentapillars protecting the weak spot of the abomination, and you can only attack the weak spot when all the tentapillars are neutralized. You'd have to hurry since after a little while they will recover from their injuries and defend the body again. Attacks like causing an earthquake and tentacles emerging from the ground, following everyone could be included aswell. Plus, something to conquer in endgame, together! :-)

Not one for structure, huh? Sorry, bad joke was bad :glee:

But anyway, yeah that boss is definitely what we need! I think the body of the monster should be called the 'Slydra' or maybe the 'Hi-dra.'....but that's just me with the bad jokes again. Honestly I just hope any of these ideas will give Klei some help :wilson_laugh:

Archived