Crash to Desktop on New Game

Rick32123
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Linux Fixed

When creating a new game, it loads as expected until the duplicate selection screen pops up for a second followed by an immediate crash to desktop. I've attached my Player.log file.

Steps to Reproduce

Create a new game.

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

See this thread for additional details.

Have you recently upgraded or updated your OS? When was the last time you were able to start a new game?

Could you try uninstalling and reinstalling the game in Steam. Check the install directory to make sure all files have been removed.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Deleted and reinstalled all files with no change. I recently updated to PopOs 22.04, and the last time I played the game was a year ago.

Share this comment

If you could provide an strace as detailed by @nome in the other threat it might help us figure out what's going on.

What audio server are you using? (pactl info) We had an issue in the past where pipewire was crashing during worldgen I'd like to rule out.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

First I want to say thanks so much for the support, I really love Klei's games and I'm excited to get back to playing ONI!

The audio server is PulseAudio on PipeWire, here's the output of `pactl info`:

```

Server String: /run/user/1000/pulse/native
Library Protocol Version: 35
Server Protocol Version: 35
Is Local: yes
Client Index: 2629
Tile Size: 65472
Server Name: PulseAudio (on PipeWire 0.3.51)
Server Version: 15.0.0
Default Sample Specification: float32le 2ch 48000Hz
Default Channel Map: front-left,front-right
Default Sink: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3.analog-stereo
Default Source: alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1f.3.analog-stereo
Cookie: d3f4:1a7d

```

I've also attached two traces, `steam.trace` which was attached the the steam process before starting ONI and `oni.trace` which was attached to the actual OxygenNotIncluded process while it was waiting in the main menu (This one's a little easier to read probably but you can always grep the larger one). Both are run until the crash occurs after starting a new game. Since the files are pretty large I went and zipped them so they could upload.

Hope this helps and thanks again!

ONI_Traces.zip

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

I added some debug code in today's public testing update. Could you try starting a new game and attach a new Player.log?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

I sent you a private message with access to a troubleshooting branch. Could you attach a new Player.log and strace? The build completely removes the code that was causing the segfault mentioned in your last strace.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Could you attach an strace before the game starts like your previous steam.trace?

I've got a few more questions. We really appreciate your help in investigating the issue.

1. Are you able load an existing save file?
  2. If you disable Spaced Out are you able to start a new game?
  3. In the game install directory could you edit OxygenNotIncluded_Data/StreamingAssets/dlc/expansion1/worldgen/clusters/TinyEmptyCluster.yaml and remove line 6 "skip: Editor" only" and then launch the game with Spaced Out. This cluster will show up under Spaced Out style all the way to the right, does that work? Note, no dupes will actually spawn.
  4. Do you have any other input devices such as gamepads plugged in?

Share this comment

Sure, to start I want to add that a few days ago I was able to get a world to spawn and run successfully. I have no idea why this worked the one time and it hasn't worked since but this is relevant to your first question. I've also attached a new compressed trace file that was attached to the steam process.

1. I can load and play the above game normally.

2. Disabling Spaced Out also doesn't let me start a new game.

3. This edit caused a lot of nondeterministic behavior. I got a trace on each one of them except for the one where it crashed on the dupe selection like before, as that was the first time I loaded up and I hadn't set up a trace yet. Now it seems to consistently crash on startup, sometimes with steam included.

4. I don't have any other input devices plugged in apart from a Bluetooth mouse.

Traces:

- steam_troubleshooting.trace : The trace you initially asked for, attached to the steam process and run until the game crashes on the troubleshooting branch with no edits.

- edit_success.trace : A trace that occurred with the edit where the empty cluster initially loaded. (Strace attached to the Steam process).

- edit_crash_startup.trace : A trace that occurred with the edit where the game crashed on startup. (Strace attached to the Steam process).

- edit_steam_crash.trace : A trace that occurred with the edit where the game crashed on startup, crashing the steam process with it. (Strace attached to the Steam process).

Hope this helps and let me know what else I can help with.

ONI_Debug.zip

Share this comment

Thanks. I updated the troubleshooting branch (509353), could you attach a new Player.log? No strace needed.

Very strange that it worked once a few days ago and that changing a file would cause a crash. 

If you force the game to use Proton are you able to start a new game? (Right click -> Properties -> Compatibility)

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

I think something is happening during the initial worldgen simulation but I'm not sure what. I haven't been able to reproduce it in a PopOS VM I installed and it works fine in Ubuntu and on the Steam Deck.

Can you think of any customizations you might've made to your OS?

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

I just loaded up the game after the new update and it looks like the bug is resolved and it no longer crashes on duplicant selection, no idea why. I just updated my OS to 22.04 and haven't made any customizations so I really don't know what it could be. Thanks again for all the time you've spent investigating!

• Like 1

Share this comment

Another case of this issue fixing itself after a game update, how strange. Glad it works though! Thanks for sending all those log files and straces.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment