Crash on printing pod

freshcitrus
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Linux Fixed

When I opened the printing pod to see the list of available duplicants to print, the game froze. No more video, but audio continued. I had to use xkill.

Steps to Reproduce

1. Wait for notification from printing pod

2. Open printing pod

3. Expected Result: a list of available printing choices

4. Actual result: game crash/freeze

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

I did attach it when I submitted the bug. If it's not here, there's a problem with your website. It's actually impossible to submit a bug to this bug tracker if you don't include a log file.

• Sad 1

Share this comment

Sorry about that @freshcitrus, I've made the right people aware of the forum issue. In the meantime if you could please try uploading the file again I would be happy to take a look and see what the issue is.

Share this comment

I'm sorry, but I played the game several times more since this crash. I didn't make a backup of this log file, so it has been overwritten already.

Share this comment

They are still investigating the forum issue but it sounds like I'll have access to your log file when it's fixed.

What you describe sounds like a simulation crash and it might just be a coincidence that it happened when you opened the printing pod. In your save have you visited the frozen world and uncovered one or more iron volcano?

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

At the time of the crash/freeze, I had only visited 3 or 4 planetoids, none frozen. I have identified a frozen world with an iron volcano, but never visited.

Share this comment

Same happened to me as well.
Not every cycle but about once in 4-5 cycles. My first thought was it somehow connected with screenshots the game is making for timelapse.

If I save prior to opening printing pod list and got my game frozen - loading the save file lets me to interact with Printing pod without any issues up until the next 4-5 cycles (approximately. its really hard to catch the exact period).

Only freezes though, no crashes.
And on Win10.

savefile and player.log attached

Черная Дыра.png

Player.log Player-prev.log Черная Дыра.sav

Share this comment

We were able to find your log @freshcitrus, I attached it here for your reference. Unfortunately it looks like the crash wasn't recorded.

@Alex BNC your logs don't seem to contain the crash either. Note that the uncovered iron volcano on Frigiel might be causing your game to freeze. It's been fixed in the testing branch if you want to switch to it.

I wasn't able to reproduce it with your attached save either. Does this happen on other saves or only this one?

freshcitrus_Player.log

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

34 minutes ago, EricKlei said:

Note that the uncovered iron volcano on Frigiel might be causing your game to freeze

Right. That was the other issue :-) I remember that. After I force-covered volcanoes close to extremely cold stuff - the freeze gone. Glad to hear It was fixed. Great job!

As for the Printing pod.. Unfortunately, I have no more info to provide on that one. All I can suggest - just fast forward it a couple of cycles and only check printing pod when it is ready. I just hope this is not hardware related or something. 
Will try it on a new save as well.

Share this comment

Also, I am not sure should I open a new thread for this. But I was able to construct 45 degrees Drywall out of 1000 degrees Igneous rock on the 6th planetoid. Can be reproduced on the same savefile.

Share this comment

8 hours ago, Alex BNC said:

Also, I am not sure should I open a new thread for this. But I was able to construct 45 degrees Drywall out of 1000 degrees Igneous rock on the 6th planetoid. Can be reproduced on the same savefile.

A separate bug report would be helpful in this case so we can track its status independently. When this printing pod crash is marked as fixed it doesn't mean the Drywall bug is fixed. 

Someone else at Klei encountered this bug and let me know about it, but I didn't gain additional insights. Next time this happens please let me know the following:

1. How did you select the Printing Pod/Mini-Pod? Notifications or clicking on the building.
  2. Did you select a Printing Pod or Mini-Pod?
  3. Did the printing pod selection screen appear briefly before crashing?
  4. How many times did you use the Printing Pod/Mini-Pod during this session?
  5. What were you doing before clicking the Printing Pod/Mini-Pod?
  • Thanks 2

Share this comment

Just happened again on a brand new savefile. I am attaching the save. On this save the freeze happened for the firts time.

1. On the building and then on button at the bottom.
2. In this world I have Printing pod only.

3. Either too fast for my eyes to notice or not at all. (Just to note, I got the freeze, not the crash. Maybe it would crash eventually, but it takes too much time to wait for me to confirm this)

4. In this save its about 30 cycles in. Every printing once per 3 cycles, so I would say its 10th printing attempt. Previous 9 were fine. (This were two game sessions if that helps)

5. Nothing special really. Just like for previous savefile. I was running it on x3 speed a lot, but eventually paused before printing. This time game was paused. For previous savefile - it didn't ever matter. I got freezes regardless of paused/unpaused or game speed. 

It feels like it was more frequent for previous save, but that can be just me.

Бесполезная Фабрика.sav Player.log Player-prev.log

Share this comment

I've reproduced the bug again. The process is running right now; I haven't killed it yet. If you let me know within the next 16 hours or so, I can get whatever type of core dump or whatever excess debug information might be available, as per your instructions. For now, I'll just attach the Player.log file.

This is on the Steam current public release (not the Beta release). (I switched back to standard release after discovering the menu bug in the beta release; I worked around the rocket landing bug by alt-Q teleporting my pilot back to the colony, and leaving the rocket stranded one space away from home.)

On 2/10/2021 at 3:48 PM, EricKlei said:

1. How did you select the Printing Pod/Mini-Pod? Notifications or clicking on the building.

1. By notification.

2. Normal printing pod.

3. Not that I saw. The game's window does not do any drawing at all at this moment, and I can see my desktop background where the game should be, yet the game has focus, and when I click on what appear to be desktop icons, nothing happens.

4. This is probably about the third or fourth print since I loaded the game.

5. I was in a rocket cockpit looking at the breathability overlay, fast-forward watching a carbon skimmer consume carbon dioxide when the notification came up. Being mindful of this bug, I turned off the overlay and switched back to the main planetoid before selecting the notification. I think I used the colony list on the right. Then, I clicked the notification to select the printing pod, and then clicked the button to open the printing menu.

Player.log

Quarantined Factory s062 Cycle 353.sav

Edited by freshcitrus
Adding last autosave.

Share this comment

I've killed the process. Using gdb, I captured a core dump and backtrace for all threads. It's 15GB and probably contains Steam credentials (because of Steam overlay), so I can't post it here.

Share this comment

I also had one such freeze-no crash screen 

I don't know if log or save file have anything useful... (auto save file of start of cycle 3 before freeze)

On 2/10/2021 at 11:48 PM, EricKlei said:

1. Printing pod. Building
2. Printing pod
3. I don't think anything appeared although the sound was the printing pod sound screen
4. once and never freezed again
5. Don't remember but nothing much..

Spoiler

-_-.thumb.JPG.8d70d32e4457e0a9557436655436dc28.JPG

Player.log Spaceprison Cycle 3.sav

Share this comment

Almost all my crashing has been when I open the printing pod the last couple weeks. 3-4 times in 2 weeks or so. Seem to always be after a long play session.Player.log

This Log is after attempting to open the printing pod and the game just froze, after clicking the screen a couple times I got the application has stopped responding message from windows.

Share this comment

I investigated this issue further but didn't seen an obvious cause. I've added some debug code to the next public_testing build to hopefully help track it down. I'll post here when that build goes live. 

In addition to the questions I posted above:

6)Were you looking at any of the screens in the top right prior to clicking the "Choose a blueprint button"? (e.g. Vitals, Consumables, Schedule etc.)

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Today's update 453479 contains debug code to help figure this out. If you encounter the issue again please attach your Player.log file. Thanks!

Share this comment

This latest update, 453479, and the previous have both resulted in crashing/freezing during the initial printing pod.  I haven't experienced this crash under hours of play until the last two builds.  Unfortunately, the latest resulted in a freeze and no crash

1. Clicking on the building
    1. Printing Pod
    1. No, just immediate freeze
    1. This was the first opportunity for a print.  This exact result has happened twice
    1. This was between, i believe cycle 3/4, Swamp Cluster.  I was mining cobalt leading up to the crash.  The previous crash was on the terra cluster, also first print.  Just getting setup.

I reentered the game, so I believe the previous version will capture the crash.

Player-prev.log

Share this comment

Changed Status to Fixed

Thanks everyone for helping debug this issue. It will be fixed in the next update to the public_testing branch. It only happens when certain trait combinations are rolled for new Duplicants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment