Suffocating in Just Built tile

davebluedevil
  • Known Issue

A dupe standing on level 1 building a row of tiles at the height of their head on level 3 will build the tile in the same space as their head, trapping them and leading to suffocation. Should the path-finding instruct the dupes not to build a tile in the same space they occupy or prevents them from pathing away? 

Steps to Reproduce
Have dupes stand on level one. Plan to build tiles at height 3 where dupe head is. Instruct dupes to build it.

User Feedback

Its a game function not a bug. You need to pay attention to your dupes from this and also getting trapped begin walls.

Share this comment

12 hours ago, vonVile said:

Its a game function not a bug. You need to pay attention to your dupes from this and also getting trapped begin walls.

I can confirm this has happened to me too. This is meets the definition of a bug because the Dupes should not be able to suffocate themselves when given an ordinary 'build tile' command. The pathfinding should move the Dupes out of a tile they are currently constructing to avoid unexpected suicides.

Getting trapped behind walls is another story. I agree with you that the player should watch out for accidentally walling Dupes outside the colony.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

24 minutes ago, Interloper said:

the Dupes should not be able to suffocate themselves when given an ordinary 'build tile' command.

Why not?

Share this comment

How can you possibly build a tile in the same space as your face? I understand deconstructing something underneath you and falling or removing a roof tile and getting buried in sand, but building something in the space that I'm occupying? No way. 

• Like 2

Share this comment

18 hours ago, DuraLex said:

Why not?

First, this shouldn't occur because it is unexpected behavior. It is unexpected because logically, the player would not plan for a Dup suffocating himself by building a tile over himself (and the game should not be expect the player to be aware of this).

Further, once the user is aware this can happen, the user cannot adjust his gameplay to prevent the behavior. In most cases, Dup movement is controlled by the AI, not the player. While the player has a "move to" command, this should be an exception to normal gameplay and not a requirement to prevent Dup death during building construction. The user should not be expected to micromanage the placement of each Dup for each individually constructed tile to avoid the Dup dying. The focus of the game design is on macro-management and emergent behavior. In contrast, micromanagagment should be handled by the AI. Where the AU results in bugs in pathfinding and positioning during construction, the AI should be  fixed.

16 hours ago, davebluedevil said:

How can you possibly build a tile in the same space as your face? I understand deconstructing something underneath you and falling or removing a roof tile and getting buried in sand, but building something in the space that I'm occupying? No way. 

I agree. I think there is a clear distinction between "dumb user commands," such as giving a Dup a command to remove a floor that he is standing on, and "bugged AI pathfinding." The "Dup suffocating in a tile he built over his face" is an example of bugged AI pathfinding.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

While I agree this is bugged pathfinding, I do find it quite amusing watching their little legs twitching sticking out from the bottom of the block.

Share this comment

I haven't had this problem of one dupe entombing himself in a tile very often, but they do it to each other constantly. I think all dupes are secretly plotting to kill the others...

Share this comment

On 3/6/2017 at 7:59 PM, Interloper said:

First, this shouldn't occur because it is unexpected behavior. It is unexpected because logically, the player would not plan for a Dup suffocating himself by building a tile over himself (and the game should not be expect the player to be aware of this).

Further, once the user is aware this can happen, the user cannot adjust his gameplay to prevent the behavior. In most cases, Dup movement is controlled by the AI, not the player. While the player has a "move to" command, this should be an exception to normal gameplay and not a requirement to prevent Dup death during building construction. The user should not be expected to micromanage the placement of each Dup for each individually constructed tile to avoid the Dup dying. The focus of the game design is on macro-management and emergent behavior. In contrast, micromanagagment should be handled by the AI. Where the AU results in bugs in pathfinding and positioning during construction, the AI should be  fixed.

I agree. I think there is a clear distinction between "dumb user commands," such as giving a Dup a command to remove a floor that he is standing on, and "bugged AI pathfinding." The "Dup suffocating in a tile he built over his face" is an example of bugged AI pathfinding.

This happens when there is only one empty block between the floor and the new tile they are building. if the player takes care there is always at least 2 empty spaces between the floor and the new tile, this does not happen. So the player CAN prevent this.

Share this comment

The player can work around any number of glitches, but that doesn't mean they should have to. I'm really not sure why people are getting so hung up on this. Nobody complains when other glitches are fixed. Why this one? If the problem is that you like it, then I have a solution for that! Make it a negative trait for a handful of Dupes. I've outlined it here as a suggestion if you would like to read it. What do you all think? Best of both worlds?

Share this comment