Glass Forge; glass changing states inside building

LtShep
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Fixed

When trying to get a large scale amount of glass made I found that there is a major temperature exchange somewhere in or around the Glass Forge building.

The pipes containing glass are all made of Insulation, as is the surrounding insulated tiles. Building the Forge out of Insulation does not effect it. The 5KG of glass in the pipes is typically the one that changes the moment it leaves the Glass Forge, breaking the Insulated pipe made of Insulation.

I believe one or more of these is the reason:

1. Glass is exchanging temperature with the building itself

2. Glass is exchanging temperature with a block (atmosphere) while inside the Forge

3. Glass is exchanging temperature with the sand while inside the Forge. [I believe this to be the most likely reason]

In an attempt to mitigate this issue I converted the room with the Forges to a hot room, but it didn't slow it down.

(Semi-unrelated; the area around the buildings is vacuum.)

image.png

image.png

Steps to Reproduce

Use Glass Forge:

Produce glass with sand of 50c

Room atmosphere temperature anywhere between 0 to 125c. (Hydrogen)

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

I believe that the glass inside the forge is exchanging heat with the building's surroundings. When I had a bit of a bathroom breakdown I had some dupes pee near my glass forges and that's when I noticed my molten glass breaking my ceramic pipes.

Share this comment

It is a known problem that still hasn't been fixed. It becomes very annoying when there are even a few grams of liquid in the bottom tiles, which is where the heat exchange happens.

Share this comment

Agreed, I know one thing that helps work around this issue is building your glass forge on top of insulated tiles. This helps to limit the heat exchange as well and keeps the molten glass flowing.

Share this comment

I made the room with the forges 175c, which has slowed down the breaking but has not stopped it. For resources sake I switched the insulated pipe to obsidian. I don't have any liquids near the forge, so I guess it's simply exchanging heat with the hydrogen. Perhaps a less conductive atmosphere would help?

Share this comment

Some buildings are flagged as insulated and that makes their contents NOT exchange heat with the surroundings. The metal refinery and ice maker are examples. Virtually every other building does not have this flag. The glass forge really, really, really, REALLY ought to be insulated. Pipe breaking is very common and very unintuitive as to why. Punishing players for an unexplained and obscure mechanic is poor form.

It's an easy change Klei, do it.

Edited by wachunga
  • Like 2

Share this comment

For those curious, I got around it by making the room hot (175c) and filling it with Carbon Dioxide. Seems to be just enough to not exchange heat with everything, but now I have to keep an eye on the Forges to make sure they don't overheat...

Share this comment