Food Masher uses way to much water

LaggingSavant
  • Pending

Food masher seems like it is a major waste of resources. 75kg is a lot of water. Maybe it isn't complete yet, but thinking 1/10 of that in water would be sufficient or at least have contaminated water come out of it? The dirt sludge that wasn't used in the extraction of microbes and other edibles from the dirt. Or maybe this thing can spit out sand + food.

Just seems weird thinking about where 20 odd gallons of water is vaporizing off too.

I wasn't watching too close as this was my first run, so maybe it is just a display glitch.

Steps to Reproduce
1. Make food masher 2. Watch Dupes haul massive amount of water to masher and a little chunk of dirt 3. Watch and cry as water resource dissapears quickly to feed dupes for 10 days.
  • Like 1

User Feedback

Nope it does indeed use a massive amount of water. Not exactly a bug but rather a balance issue.

• Like 1

Share this comment

You should consider to move to Plants as food source, which do not use any water and can be consumed raw (no cooking required).

Share this comment

Now this guy is confusing kilogrammes with gallons.  I suppose we can start using the Greek congius next as another archaic measurement!  :D    Please change liquids measurements from Kg to L.  You know -- for science!

Share this comment

exactly! ... Every time I look at the liquid I have to convert mentally into 2.2 lbs, then think of the mass at sea level weight, then convert that to something I know. gallons. *boggle* 

What would be better though is if they just say forget it and invent their own fluid, heat and weight units. Or liters is good. :D

Share this comment

Liquid water is defined as 1kg of water being exactly 1 liter (1000cm³) at the point of its maximum density (at 3.98 °C).
One of the benefits of the metric system that uses actual natural constants instead of arbitrary points selected by the ones who 'defined' it as they were limited by their available technology (see the mess that is Fahrenheit as a prime example of this).

Back to topic: the amount of water used by the musher is excessive: Either it needs a waste drain connection (still, 75L of water to make a 1kg bar is way overboard), should evaporate 74m³ as steam (which would kill off the duplicants quite quickly) or should make 76kg mush bars that would make the duplicants explode eating them (as they just ingested >200% of their own body weight). However you look at it, it looks broken.

• Like 1

Share this comment

I am totally okay with using mass instead of volume. I mean, if we were using volume, then every single tile of water except the surface would say 1000L, and that would not exactly be informative... . There are terrible physics issues with the fluids currently, especially the liquids, sometimes I have 2500 kg in one tile, which in real life is a physical impossibility. And, I think it's causing it to destroy liquids, which should never happen. In any case, the mass unit is more useful than a unit of volume. Units of volume which are well-defined, are pretty much all defined indirectly by mass. I like physics, and there's not much point showing us units of volume when you could instead be showing us units of mass. So, please keep everything on the same universal unit, kg.

Share this comment