Progress reset - compendium wiped (Switch)

Kizzm0
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Fixed

Hi

There is a serious issue on the Nintendo Switch version and i dont know how this was missed during testing?

Played two runs yesterday for ~4 hours. Unlocked a character, cards , perks, Mettle, flourishes. You name it.

Saved the game and closed it. Started the game this morning and the compendium is wiped. When i start a new game perks are gone, mettles are gone. Everything'ish is gone.

Im saying ish because unlocked cards actually pops up in the new run. Game thinks its your first playthrough again since it asks for tutorials. Run history can see my previous runs. When i start a new game it gives me pop ups with all the perks points i earned in previous runs (kill a boss/ do x amount of dmg /earn x amount of money) etc. 

I have reinstalled the game. I have Hard rebooted My switch and tried a new run. Saved, restarted the game and the problem still exists..

System version: 12.0.2

Game version: 1.0.0

Steps to Reproduce

Exit the game - start the game.

• Like 6

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.
23 minutes ago, Kitsunin said:

I guess the reason I'm not terribly mad at Klei is because this happens a lot with indie games being launched or patched on Switch. Maybe there's something wrong with the Switch QA tools? Or I've heard it's just simply a lot harder to port games to Switch from PC vs. PS4/XBOX. Damn near half the indie games I buy on Switch are broken at first. Usually it doesn't blow up like this because Nintendo handles the cert process quickly.

I'm just happy the performance is good, because I've seen a handful of games launch with bugs or terrible FPS that never got fixed.

Personally, I'm more annoyed with the response following the problem than the problem itself (although the problem is a remarkably bad one to allow through QA, and in researching the problem it appears that a similar issue came up with the Steam version, so Klei probably should have been on the alert). But the lack of communication and the choice to continue to sell the game without any notice is hard to excuse--unless someone manages to track down forums posts on the issue, there's nothing to alert them about the problem. It's the lack of communication or respect for its customers that I find most aggravating.

Edited by GredHred

Share this comment

It's not a choice to continue selling it though. Console eshops don't just give you the option to temporarily pull a game from sale. And when there's nothing to say, there's nothing to say. Believe me, I've been mad at publishers for failing to communicate well, such as a Kickstarter board game that shipped half a year late due to shipping issues, while up until it finally arrived their best estimate was "probably in about two weeks" but looking back at it after the fact, well, when somebody's keeping you in the dark yourself, there's really nothing you can say.

They communicated that they resolved the issue on their end much more quickly than I typically see. What more do you want? Daily "Update: No news" posts?

Edited by Kitsunin

Share this comment

Yes? Notice on the website or elsewhere that the game is unplayable, and the progress they're making to address it? Some attempt to prevent people from wasting their time on the game until it is playable? This isn't a minor bug, this is a gamebreaking disaster, one that does not become apparent until users have put hours into the game, and their response has been woefully insufficient. 

And by the way, "other people have terrible customer service too" is not really a defense for having terrible customer themselves. And Klei isn't some small Kickstarter--it's a multi-million dollar gaming company and part of Tencent.

Edited by GredHred

Share this comment

Like what specifically? Because it's easy to say that they should be updating on the progress they've made -- but there's no progress to make! They're just waiting, and there's nothing else they can do!

And I mean, acknowledging this bug is already their first-visible tweet on Twitter.

BTW, my example was from a company with FANTASTIC customer service. Like, to the point where I could just go on Discord and chat with people who work there. Sometimes crap happens.

Edited by Kitsunin

Share this comment

Updating to say it's still in the works? Saying something, not nothing? Even posting an update in this thread? The first visible tweet on Twitter is something about Don't Starve--not sure what you're talking about, or how it would inform people before they encounter the bug that it is a concern. There's nothing in the first 100 results on Google that would alert anyone to the bug, nothing on Klei's website, nothing on its Twitter account (except perhaps if you are looking for it), etc.

If you could just go on Discord and talk to the developers, that would be one way of conveying information--not sure how that's a relevant example here, though, and again I'm not sure why you're comparing the customer service practices of a Kickstarter small enough that customers can talk to the developers on Discord to those of a subsidiary of Tencent. Anyway, in this case, they would still have to make some attempt to alert customers in advance about the bug, not just wait for them to find out and hunt down something about it on the company forums.

Yes, crap happens sometimes (although this is remarkably bad crap to allow through QA, as mentioned before), but it's how a company deals with crap that matters, and Klei is failing badly. 

Edited by GredHred

Share this comment

Klei's response is exactly the same as the better of the responses I've seen for games for which the same has happened, which is a lot of Switch games. The only thing they haven't done which I've seen other devs do, is offer Steam keys for those affected. Perhaps that'd be good, but personally I don't think it's useful...I buy games on Switch because my PC can't handle them in the first place.

Edited by Kitsunin

Share this comment

8 minutes ago, Kitsunin said:

Klei's response is exactly the same as the better of the responses I've seen for games for which the same has happened, which is a lot of Switch games. The only thing they haven't done which I've seen other devs do, is offer Steam keys for those affected. Perhaps that'd be good, but personally I don't think it's useful...I buy games on Switch because my PC can't handle them in the first place.

How many Switch games have you played where all progress is wiped after hours of play? Because I can count precisely none that have happened to me before. And again, bad customer service by other companies is not an excuse for one's own bad customer service.

And finally, whether or not Nintendo drags its feet, this problem is ultimately 100% on Klei for allowing it to occur in the first place.

Edited by GredHred

Share this comment

I think full-on save wipes affected one or two games I played before. What I recall specifically was a Roguelike, Synthetik, which crashed at the end of the second level of five, after about an hour of play and effectively wiping your progress. It took Nintendo almost an entire month to let that patch through because of holidays, and then the patch caused another bug of similar severity...that was only a two-person dev team though. Star Renegades had unplayably bad performance for months after release, and also launched with a bug that caused regular crashes which cost about an hour of progress each time. That was fully the devs fault for launching too early, before they'd properly optimized and tested the game for playability, unlike this, which is a single bug easily described that obviously just slipped through QA.

Edited by Kitsunin

Share this comment

Nope they had good customer service. They discussed options with the community, but ultimately couldn't do anything with the tools Nintendo gave them. Crap happens. Many people had to wait to play the games they bought. Many bought the games by mistake after they were known to be broken. Porting to Switch is hard. Eshops should allow refunds to be an option. I blame Nintendo.

Seriously, this happens so often with indie games that I always have to specifically check subreddits to see whether a game runs properly on Switch before I buy.

Edited by Kitsunin

Share this comment

Another day we spent money and can't play this game,

Another day Klei got our money and immediately stopped caring about us.

Share this comment

11 hours ago, Kitsunin said:

Nope they had good customer service. They discussed options with the community, but ultimately couldn't do anything with the tools Nintendo gave them. Crap happens. Many people had to wait to play the games they bought. Many bought the games by mistake after they were known to be broken. Porting to Switch is hard. Eshops should allow refunds to be an option. I blame Nintendo.

Seriously, this happens so often with indie games that I always have to specifically check subreddits to see whether a game runs properly on Switch before I buy.

Sorry you're willing to accept shitty customer service. I don't know what to tell you you, and I'm not sure why you're so invested in defending them. Nintendo's delay (if that's even an issue) has nothing to do with Klei's lack of communication, failure to inform purchasers about a game-breaking bug, or lack of any other attempt to work with its customers. 

Also, Klei isn't an "indie" company--it's a subsidiary of Tencent, one of the world's largest video game companies.

Edited by GredHred

Share this comment

Yeah, my only explanation for all the Nintendo-bashing Klei lovers is they're either happily playing on their non-Switch copies or they are Klei/Tencent plants

Edited by yolo21

Share this comment

Changed Note: to Unfortunately, our hands here are tied. We have been asking Nintendo every day and checking in on the progress - the update has cleared cert everywhere but NOA and we have been told, "no later than Friday". We don't have the kind of pull that they are going to expedite the process for us. And we have tried. This is a crappy bug. But the only thing we can do is apologize and try to get the update out as best as we can, and that's what we're doing. I am sorry that this has taken as long as it has. But it's not for lack of effort on our end. We have been told 6/18 at the latest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

9 hours ago, GredHred said:

Sorry you're willing to accept shitty customer service. I don't know what to tell you you, and I'm not sure why you're so invested in defending them. Nintendo's delay (if that's even an issue) has nothing to do with Klei's lack of communication, failure to inform purchasers about a game-breaking bug, or lack of any other attempt to work with its customers. 

Also, Klei isn't an "indie" company--it's a subsidiary of Tencent, one of the world's largest video game companies.

I am willing to accept that sometimes things aren't really anyone you can reasonably attack's fault. If you're seriously going to argue that these really friendly people you don't even know of are at fault for "bad customer service", then clearly you aren't. Yes Klei isn't indie anymore, and I hate Tencent. I shouldn't be bothering to defend them, but people are still people and somehow you're making it feel right to by throwing blame at the wrong feet. What you're saying Klei should have done is obviously just looking at what they have done and just thinking "well, I'm still mad, so not that". You keep stating what Klei should have accomplished (ensuring purchasers know the game doesn't work) but not how. What is actually ridiculous is Nintendo's eshop infrastructure. We should be able to get refunds for this. It should be possible to update the description with a notice of such bugs, or to temporarily remove a game from sale. The things you were blaming Klei for riiiiiiiight up until you realized they were Nintendo's fault.

If you want an explanation for why I care it's because you've been insulting all the nice people I've been using as examples, too, time and again.

Edited by Kitsunin
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

4 hours ago, Kitsunin said:

I am willing to accept that sometimes things aren't really anyone you can reasonably attack's fault. If you're seriously going to argue that these really friendly people you don't even know of are at fault for "bad customer service", then clearly you aren't. Yes Klei isn't indie anymore, and I hate Tencent. I shouldn't be bothering to defend them, but people are still people and somehow you're making it feel right to by throwing blame at the wrong feet. What you're saying Klei should have done is obviously just looking at what they have done and just thinking "well, I'm still mad, so not that". You keep stating what Klei should have accomplished (ensuring purchasers know the game doesn't work) but not how. What is actually ridiculous is Nintendo's eshop infrastructure. We should be able to get refunds for this. It should be possible to update the description with a notice of such bugs, or to temporarily remove a game from sale. The things you were blaming Klei for riiiiiiiight up until you realized they were Nintendo's fault.

If you want an explanation for why I care it's because you've been insulting all the nice people I've been using as examples, too, time and again.

Not sure why you think they're "nice" and "really friendly" people--kind of a bizarre assessment about people you presumably don't know at all (I also find it somewhat interesting that you registered this week and your only posts are in this thread to defend Klei using their talking points that it's Nintendo's fault, we're doing all  we can, etc.). Yes, Nintendo has limits, but ultimately the problem is Klei's--they allowed a critical, game-breaking bug through their QA process--and I'm not sure why you keep trying to shift the focus to Nintendo. You have not (at all) responded to what I've said repeatedly that they should have done--make people aware (via, say, their website, Twitter, etc.) that the bug exists, update regularly (rather than occasionally) about the status of their efforts to address it, and perhaps other efforts like, as you previously mentioned, Steam keys. You completely fail to respond to my points, and yet keep defending their bad customer service. 

I appreciate the recent update in this thread, however; I'd like to think that's a sign of improvement, but I have yet to see Klei actually acknowledge the bug to anyone who hasn't already discovered it.

Edited by GredHred

Share this comment

I didn't mean Klei are nice and friendly people, but rather that I've seen very nice people I know for a fact were doing their best, fail to do any better. All of your suggestions stem from a general feeling that they aren't doing enough. But there's no "correct" amount, this is just damage control and they could do potentially do anything and you'd want more. My response has always been "yup, they could do more, but it's always easy to say that". Because ultimately this is a problem with a solution. But Nintendo is in control of the solution. We've already agreed the bug could happen to anyone.

Edited by Kitsunin
  • Like 1

Share this comment

1 hour ago, Kitsunin said:

I didn't mean Klei are nice and friendly people, but rather that I've seen very nice people I know for a fact were doing their best, fail to do any better. All of your suggestions stem from a general feeling that they aren't doing enough. But there's no "correct" amount, this is just damage control and they could do potentially do anything and you'd want more. My response has always been "yup, they could do more, but it's always easy to say that". Because ultimately this is a problem with a solution. But Nintendo is in control of the solution. We've already agreed the bug could happen to anyone.

No, we did not agree that the "bug could happen to anyone"--I've said repeatedly that it's a remarkably bad bug to allow through the QA process. It may not be my primary complaint now that it's happened, but that doesn't mean I think it's excused. And Nintendo is not entirely in control of the solution (the solution to a problem that, remember, is 100% Klei's problem)--part of the solution is raising awareness about the bug, communicating with customers, etc. You know, the things they've largely been failing to do.

Edited by GredHred

Share this comment

Cripes I didn't even convince you of that much? I think I have to go at this point...

Edited by Kitsunin

Share this comment

7 hours ago, Kitsunin said:

Cripes I didn't even convince you of that much? I think I have to go at this point...

Why would I be convinced? You haven't presented any argument. Whereas I can say that the bug is, among other things, (1) common enough that it should have come up with sufficient testing, (2) one that Klei should probably have been watching for, given that similar issues came up with the Steam version (for example, https://www.reddit.com/r/griftlands/comments/hdm7sq/lost_all_progress/https://www.reddit.com/r/griftlands/comments/h9gu3q/game_not_saving_progress/https://www.reddit.com/r/griftlands/comments/krf255/lost_45_hours_of_progress_any_way_to_get_it_back/), and (3) severe, in the sense that the parts of the game affected are ones that should receive particular attention during testing and the game should not have been released without fixing it.

Do some other games also release with severe bugs? Yes, but I'm not sure how that exonerates Klei, particularly since Klei is not a small indie developer and can afford to maintain a functioning QA team.

Share this comment

@Kitsunin I can't believe you are still trying to discuss with these people xD I gave up long ago, can't really change their mind when they are set on something and doesn't know how game development world works :P

In any case, the game have updated to 1.0.1 on my Switch and I can't trigger the bug anymore so everything is good :)

Share this comment

Hi everyone, again we are very sorry for the inconvenience, and would like to thank you for your patience. Griftlands Update Ver 1.01 for Nintendo Switch (which includes a fix for this issue) is now live. More information about the update here:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment