Bugged Mod List

TrashLord
  • Known Issue

For about a week, I've been having a problem with my in-game mod list - a lot of my mods haven't been being labeled properly, only displaying their workshop filenames.

bugged modlist.PNG

I wouldn't mind too much, but it's kind of difficult to track down broken mods if you can't tell which is which, I'm 100% sure many of the bugged mods are client-only mods since many of my client mods aren't listed anymore despite still being subscribed to them, and I'm about 86% sure that this is the reason I'm having a hard time connecting to friends' servers.

I've tried updating everything with the in-game updater, unsubscribing and resubscribing, uninstalling and reinstalling the game, switching between the main game and beta branch, and even manually deleting all the workshop files from my mods folder(though some of them needed administrator permission to delete and I couldn't remove them even though I am the administrator), but my mods still won't load in properly. Is anyone else having this problem? If you have, can you tell me how you fixed it?

Steps to Reproduce
IDK it's not technically a gameplay bug so i don't think there's a way to "reproduce" it.
  • Like 1

User Feedback

Hey @TrashLord, I've seen this issue happen a few times and we're trying to track down the cause of it.

Did it suddenly start happening?

Can you close the game + Steam and go to your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together\mods directory, and delete any folder starting with "workshop-".

Share this comment

4 hours ago, PeterA said:

Hey @TrashLord, I've seen this issue happen a few times and we're trying to track down the cause of it.

Did it suddenly start happening?

Can you close the game + Steam and go to your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together\mods directory, and delete any folder starting with "workshop-".

Oh wow, I'd suspected nobody was gonna look at this since it's been a few days ^_^'

This started sometime last month after Year of the Gobbler launched, but I don't quite recall when; my best guess would be somewhere around two weeks ago? It'd been a while since I played since I was sick.

I have deleted all of my workshop files in hopes of them completely reinstalling themselves upon restarting the game, but some of them cannot be deleted for reasons unknown to me as of typing this.

A lot of bugged mods got fixed the "Against the Grain" beta update, but seven of them still don't load into the mod list properly. IDK if this helps but the mods were Lavish Hammer, Wurpal the Ringleader, Winnie the Shepherdess, Pillowkitty's Map Preset, Playable Pets -Caves, Playable Pets-SW, Lunar Tools, Shipwrecked Characters, a mod that was probably deleted, and <default>'s Festive Pack; I'm only included the mods is because they cannot be deleted because I "need administrator permission" despite being the administrator of the computer I'm using. Lavish Hammer, Wurpal the Ringleader, Winnie the Shepherdess, and Pillowkitty's Map Preset all have an anomalous extra folder in the mod folder that contains all the mod data, but the others seem to be normal aside from not being able to be deleted.

I tried unsubscribing to the mods that are currently bugged, but their files are still in my mods folder and in-game mod menu since they seemingly cannot be deleted by any means, even using the Windows console to give myself ownership of the files in question.

I'm not very experienced at bug squishing, but I hope any of this information helps even a little bit.

Share this comment

If you click on one of those Mods and then on the "Update Mod" button, what happens?

Hmmm, so if you close the game, and close Steam, you can't even delete the workshop directories manually from a Windows Explorer window?

Could you try navigating to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together\bin (or wherever you have installed the game) and right clicking on dontstarve_steam.exe and clicking "Run as administrator"? Once the game launches, go to the Mods screen, and does the issue still occur? What if you click on the "Clean All" button?

I have a feeling that something with Steam/Windows has changed and the game doesn't have permissions to delete/modify the folders anymore.

Share this comment

I've tried both Updating and Cleaning my mods via the mod menu; updating made the game go unresponsive for a few minutes and then having the update mod notification turn back on, and cleaning didn't do anything at all in regards to fixing the problem.

Trying to delete the bugged mods manually via the Windows File Explorer just produced this dialogue box:

bug.PNG

Running as administrator didn't seem to help at all. In fact, I think things are worse off now? I'm not sure if it's related, but now there's even more unresponsive Workshop files in my mod list. I listed all the mods that were bugged again so I could search for them in my mods folder, but one of them wasn't there. Out of curiosity I searched for the missing workshop file(workshop-458468567) and got a link to someone's screen shot?

Share this comment

When that Folder Access Denied popup appears, can you check the task manager to see if any dontstarve_steam processes are running?

Do you share your PC with another user? 

On a side note, that screenshot you found was simply a Steam fileid that happened to match that workshop id.

Share this comment

2 hours ago, PeterA said:

When that Folder Access Denied popup appears, can you check the task manager to see if any dontstarve_steam processes are running?

Do you share your PC with another user? 

On a side note, that screenshot you found was simply a Steam fileid that happened to match that workshop id.

No Steam or Don't Starve-related processes are running according to the Task Manager, and I'm using my personal laptop with only one user account.

how can two pages share a url without causing an error

Share this comment

We are having the same issue on one of our accounts. The mod list looks identical to yours and it can't connect to friend hosted servers. It's so irritating...everyone else contects fine, but this account shows missing mods even though it has all mods as host. The only difference is that this account also has broken mods (identical to yours). Ugh :'( We've tried everything. Klei...I'm seriously starting to lose hope in your beta...you're adding new content every week, but not fixing your bugs and server issues. We've been dealing with this for at least 2 months.

Share this comment

@TrashLord It looks like you're on windows 10, can you right click on one of the workshop folders, go to Properties, then the Security tab, and then click on the Advanced button. What do you see?

permissions.PNG

Share this comment

12 minutes ago, PeterA said:

@TrashLord It looks like you're on windows 10, can you right click on one of the workshop folders, go to Properties, then the Security tab, and then click on the Advanced button. What do you see?

permissions.PNG

I must admit I hadn't tried that, but when I tried to give myself permission to edit it I got this:

heck.PNG

17 hours ago, BluBerriKitty said:

We are having the same issue on one of our accounts. The mod list looks identical to yours and it can't connect to friend hosted servers. It's so irritating...everyone else contects fine, but this account shows missing mods even though it has all mods as host. The only difference is that this account also has broken mods (identical to yours). Ugh :'( We've tried everything. Klei...I'm seriously starting to lose hope in your beta...you're adding new content every week, but not fixing your bugs and server issues. We've been dealing with this for at least 2 months.

It doesn't fix the problem, but if you figure out which mods aren't loading and have your friend disable them you should be able to join. I gave a friend I was having connection errors with a list of all the mods that were bugged for me so they could disable them on their server and that seemed to do the trick.

Share this comment

41 minutes ago, TrashLord said:

but when I tried to give myself permission to edit it I got this:

Can you try going into the Advanced Security Settings for the mods directory itself, and giving yourself Ownership and permission to modify the directory and all children directories?

This link should walk you through any steps that aren't clear. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-failed-to-enumerate-objects-in-the-container

Edit: just so I'm clear, I mean the root mods folder itself.

permission.PNG

Share this comment

I'm having the exact same issue as OP. 

Can't connect to my friend's server due to host missing update mods or something along those lines. I also can't delete workshop folders because I am not the administrator of the folder. I've had to reinstall steam each time this error occurred just to play with my friends and it's really irritating. 

Hope there's a solution for this.. don't want to reinstall steam every time. ;c

Share this comment

I am also having this same issue. 

I am unable to delete anything from the mods folder aswell and I can't change the security either.

I just had this problem yesterday, it was working fine a day or two prior .-. 

I really hope there's a fix for this. Because I've tried everything from unsubbing, resubbing, uninstalling, reinstalling, restarting computer etc

Share this comment

This issue has been starting to show up for me as well, my mods all went "workshop-xxxxx" and I can't delete nor the mods folder nor the main Don't Starve Together folder due to permission issues.

Something that helped me was

>Uninstall DST

>Reboot and then go back to ProgramFiles/Steam/steamapps/common (something like that)  and finally into Don't Starve Together folder

>Start erasing the folders left after the uninstalling, one by one, if one gave me a 'require admin permission' I went into the folder and began erasing everything inside that folder, if any folder inside had the 'require' (For me, I always had to erase the 'script' subfolder before being able to erase my workshop folder)

>Rrinse and repeat with each folder until you are able to clear every folder and finally delete the DST folder.

>Reinstall DST, check your mods, they should begin to download again

It worked for me!

• Like 1

Share this comment

if you put your computer in safe mode you can delete the mods folder and just verify it on steam so you can reacquire it.

it's annoying to have to restart the computer in safe mode every time a mod updates tho

Share this comment

Hello,

I'm having the same problems for a while now, i thought that with the update it would get fixed but it didn't, and the workaround page isn't online anymore, can someone please help me ?

Share this comment

3 hours ago, Super_Xayah said:

Hello,

I'm having the same problems for a while now, i thought that with the update it would get fixed but it didn't, and the workaround page isn't online anymore, can someone please help me ?

I think this is the link you were looking for?

https://support.klei.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029882051-My-mods-are-corrupted-workshop-xxxxxxx-and-I-can-t-remove-them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

On 8/16/2021 at 10:49 PM, Super_Xayah said:

Thank you Peter, 

The first solution worked really well!

Hey @PeterA i don't know why i said it worked, i'm still having troubles with the mods up until today, some specific mods like the https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1892210190

I've tried every options on that link, but i still can't seem to get them to work...

The mods just show as Workshop-XXXXXXX and they won't update, i unsubscribed and they went away, but my friends don't seem to be having problems with these mods, just me.

Can you please help me?

Regards,

Edited by Super_Xayah

Share this comment

@Super_Xayah can you go to the mods screen, unsubscribe to all the mods and then subscribe to them again, close the game and then send us your client_log.txt file?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

1 minute ago, Super_Xayah said:

Here it goes, i didn't unsub and resub on all of them because now, 24 mods have bugged...

Can you try unsubbing one mod while you're on the mods screen and subbing again, and let us know which mod it is, and then send the client_log.txt over again?

• Like 1

Share this comment