Cannot hack dead blue whale

ZoharContact
  • Fixed

First time corpse ripened after I had killed a blue whale. It took almost five days, but it's quite clearly ready to pop. The sound can be heard from a long way off. The "hack" interaction displayed when I moused over it. I thought the "right click to sail to" display was odd.

As it so happens, left clicking causes Wendy to sail. She continues to sail merrily into the corpse. Right-clicking causes her to stop. I've tried equipping other objects and reequipping the machete. The next day, I crafted a new machete. (I had also tried quitting and restarting the game, etc.) There was no longer a "right click to sail to" HUD, but she continued to sail into the corpse. Right-clicking did not cause her to stop sailing this time. Also tried unequiping the sail, whereupon she rowed into the corpse instead.

Anyway, this is my first time trying to harvest blue whale parts, so I don't know how this works normally and what might have interfered with it, but for one, it had died close to a population of bioluminescence. For another, a spawn point for stink rays is extremely close and has been giving me no end of trouble. I always let Abigail take care of them, either by sailing around in circles or clicking to attack one from far off and cancelling the attack.

cannot_hack.thumb.jpg.722234dacdd437f0a7

cannot_hack_2.thumb.jpg.d932ec591ca93f81

Steps to Reproduce
Aside from being close to a stink ray spawn point and bioluminescence, the site where the whale was killed was also fairly close to some sort of shipwreck, with a steamer trunk and watery graves. The last thing I can think of is that as the corpse was... maturing, I kept sailing to it and trying to interact with it using various tools.

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

That whale isn't ready yet. You can check the images in the wiki. I think the bug is that it shows "hack" despite it not being ready.

Edited by stl1234

Share this comment

I had the same issue, but I don't think i'ts because the whale is not ready, cause in my case, it has been easily seven days since I had killed it and it really had the look of a whale ready to explose! There was smoke and everything... But maybe when you go far away for a certain time, the evolution of the putrefaction slow or stop until you come back in the good range? I don't know...

Just now, Mowde said:

I had the same issue, but I don't think i'ts because the whale is not ready, cause in my case, it has been easily seven days since I had killed it and it really had the look of a whale ready to explose! There was smoke and everything... But maybe when you go far away for a certain time, the evolution of the putrefaction slow or stop until you come back in the good range? I don't know...

Well, my bad, I just went to the Wiki as stl1234 said and you were right, it was not ready yet. It is stage 2... So, you were right, the bug is really the proposition to "hack" but in that cas, what about the more than 7 days it took to go to the stage 2??  

Share this comment

1 hour ago, Mowde said:

Well, my bad, I just went to the Wiki as stl1234 said and you were right, it was not ready yet. It is stage 2... So, you were right, the bug is really the proposition to "hack" but in that cas, what about the more than 7 days it took to go to the stage 2??  

Weird. Shortly after taking that second screenshot, I reloaded my game this morning where I was at the corpse, sailed away, and heard it explode. I never noticed the corpse in stage 3.

Share this comment

3 minutes ago, ZoharContact said:

Weird. Shortly after taking that second screenshot, I reloaded my game this morning where I was at the corpse, sailed away, and heard it explode. I never noticed the corpse in stage 3.

I should have reloaded the game too, now that I think about it, reloading a game can some time get rid of some bugs.. Now I'm dead so I'll never know! XD

Share this comment

Do corpses explode on their own now? I came back to one of my whales after a long time and it had already burst. Is this part of the bug or a change to the game?

Edited by WillPwn4Food

Share this comment

6 hours ago, WillPwn4Food said:

Do corpses explode on their own now? I came back to one of my whales after a long time and it had already burst. Is this part of the bug or a change to the game?

To the best of my knowledge, that is how it happened in my game. I've only successfully harvested a whale this one time, though. It would make sense to me that it explodes on its own after an amount of time has elapsed.

Share this comment

It seems to be all whales not just blue ones.  I have a white whale ready to harvest and I cant hack it.  Just waiting for it to explode now. @WillPwn4Food Whales always exploded over time, not a new thing.

Share this comment

Having this problem, dead whale is definitely in stage three, however I can't hack it (yes it looks exactly the way it has in the past every time I have hacked it, so I know it's at the proper stage)

Share this comment

I don't think this is fixed yet despite the fixed thing it still happens to me and this is after i haven't had an update since i bought SW as well

Share this comment