Solid material storage needs a qualitative rework

The current storage compactor stores 20t of material. It is nothing compared to the amount of resources available on the map: there are several thousands of tons of igneous rock alone, at 50 compactors per thousand tons it takes an enormous amount of space and causes FPS drops due to the large amount of destinations for pathfinding. 

Why bother sweeping that stuff up? Debris lower decor, that alone is a sufficient reason.

Increasing storage capacity or density per tile does not fix the problem, nor does decreasing the total amount of resources available on the map. Removing the decor debuff will alleviate the objective problem but will throw off decor balance; subjective aesthetics will remain a mild annoyance that may still warrant sweeping for some players.

Proposed solution: infinite solid storage device. Using nomenclature of some Rimworld mods, quantum storage. A storage compactor that allows storing infinite quantities of a single resource, e.g. igneous rock only. Balanced by being a power consumer, 50-100W constant consumption, on power loss ceases accepting new material and makes its contents irretrievable until power is restored. No mass deletion should occur as it would be easily exploitable.

This solution will provide an FPS and aesthetics friendly way to store stuff for the price of giving a damn and some power.

Black hole storage. With some top tech materials the dupes managed to create a singularity that can store infinite amounts of resources in a virtual sub space. Machine can only accept or drop out resources when powered. I`m thinking of something like 1200W everytime a dupe delivers or picks up resources from it. Contents are in a timeless space so they can`t interact thermally with anything. the machine itslef might porduce some heat.

You can technically already have infinite storage by piling up stuff on the ground.

A while ago I created an automated infinite storage solution, and it functioned perfectly, but was quickly shot down due to FPS performance impact, because of the massive amounts of debris piled up and automation cycling.

If automation and debris simulation impact were fixed, I would revive many similar designs that are unfeasible due to poor performance costs, but alas, Klei has abandoned us.

4 hours ago, Ixenzo said:

Takes a lot of time and/or micro, plus the obvious FPS hit.

Take a look at the link to the forum topic where I designed the storage system, it was pretty fast, it only took about 2 cycles to move about 50 full compactors into the space. The FPS hit is noticeable though.

The black hole storage thing sounds like a good idea. The most important thing is that the temperature calculations stop completely. I don't think it should take much power if any though, since it's just a solution to fix a problem.

Come to think of it, wouldn't storing everything in space help?

Archived