together!

Hamlet seems like it could be harder to port as im guessing there'd be issues with the several different instances that could be going on at once. For example, being in a cave and other person being in a house, the other in a dungeon. I'm sure theres plenty of balancing issues too that would have to be sorted out like every unit's HP among other things. Honestly though, i thought after Dont Starve Together was released they'd just focus on that game from then on, unfortunately they develop both which is confusing to me atleast because im sure most of their playerbase is on the multiplayer version right? I'd rather it take longer but them develop DLC for DST, because in that game you can play singleplayer OR multiplayer, and they made caves work with multiplayer, why not the ruins/houses and such in Hamlet? Now if they want to port it, they'd have to go through all this balancing like i said :/

25 minutes ago, Null1314 said:

Hamlet seems like it could be harder to port as im guessing there'd be issues with the several different instances that could be going on at once. For example, being in a cave and other person being in a house, the other in a dungeon. I'm sure theres plenty of balancing issues too that would have to be sorted out like every unit's HP among other things. Honestly though, i thought after Dont Starve Together was released they'd just focus on that game from then on, unfortunately they develop both which is confusing to me atleast because im sure most of their playerbase is on the multiplayer version right? I'd rather it take longer but them develop DLC for DST, because in that game you can play singleplayer OR multiplayer, and they made caves work with multiplayer, why not the ruins/houses and such in Hamlet? Now if they want to port it, they'd have to go through all this balancing like i said :/

the idea is they do not want to alienate part of their player base, with one portion having the dlc, and the other not having it.

5 minutes ago, BionicSandwich said:

the idea is they do not want to alienate part of their player base, with one portion having the dlc, and the other not having it.

But its the same exact thing if you had Don't Starve Together, even if some people had the DLC and others didn't, servers hosting it could simply say that "you don't have this DLC to play on this server" or something, while the others could continue playing on the typical worlds. Also, theres 2 Don't Starves, so right off the bat theres already people alienated, especially those who can't or don't want to re-buy don't starve just to play multiplayer.

DST and DS are two separate games and should be treated as such. Also there are a lot of mechanics that wouldn’t work. Running 3 servers(with caves) would be impossible for most computers then there is pig ruins and the inside of houses and other mini areas that would mean you would have to run 10 servers at once which isn’t remotely possible for even a high end computer.

Archived