A small fix for automation loops lag

I was investigating methods of reducing lag mid to late game, and one of the big culprits that I found, and others have pointed out, is the simple enable/disable automation loop.

temp2.thumb.png.e63ead21b4ff31fcbd00718d331436c4.png

This simple little loop is used in many designs, notably the autosweeper dropper setup for infinite food storage, automatic egg replacement, and many other builds. My first thought to reduce CPU load was to simply disable it with a clock, but this simple design can't be disabled with a positive signal, as it will leave the autosweeper on a signal high.

So, a redesign of the loop was in order:

temp2.thumb.png.80cb783dd5b433fe9f8471f5315cde01.png

This new and improved version will allow a signal high, either from a button, day clock, water clock, or any other automation input to disable the loop, halting the automation from cycling and taking up processor load capacity.

It's a simple change, but it resulted in an instant 5+ FPS gain when I changed over all the instances of the loop in my base, so I thought it worth sharing.

1 hour ago, crypticorb said:

I was investigating methods of reducing lag mid to late game, and one of the big culprits that I found, and others have pointed out, is the simple enable/disable automation loop.

temp2.thumb.png.e63ead21b4ff31fcbd00718d331436c4.png

This simple little loop is used in many designs, notably the autosweeper dropper setup for infinite food storage, automatic egg replacement, and many other builds. My first thought to reduce CPU load was to simply disable it with a clock, but this simple design can't be disabled with a positive signal, as it will leave the autosweeper on a signal high.

So, a redesign of the loop was in order:

temp2.thumb.png.80cb783dd5b433fe9f8471f5315cde01.png

This new and improved version will allow a signal high, either from a button, day clock, water clock, or any other automation input to disable the loop, halting the automation from cycling and taking up processor load capacity.

It's a simple change, but it resulted in an instant 5+ FPS gain when I changed over all the instances of the loop in my base, so I thought it worth sharing.

What's a point of filter gate with minimal delay at first picture?

3 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

sweeper only needs to be off for an instant to drop items, 0.1s is all that's needed

Hmm, mine autodropper works fine without filter... it's still pulses... Next time i will try with filter, may be it somehow changes something...

1 minute ago, Fischer_L said:

Pretty much this:

Autodropper.thumb.png.b898d97e5887d55c660b46664f7d5501.png

May be i miss something, and with filter it would work better somehow?

This works, but not guaranteed. The amount of time it disables the output depends on the speed ONI is running. I just ran a test and the automation output didn't always flash red, and when I hooked it up to an autodropper, it failed to disable it once in my short test. Not really worth saving space for that.

2 minutes ago, Fischer_L said:

May be i miss something, and with filter it would work better somehow?

Usually when you have automation cutoff that fast sometimes it's a miss and it will tick a few times before getting it right

It's no problem if you are dropping items that only low quantity items like eggs

but if you have a long string of items like say dropping regolith after a meteor shower then it will take extra time

3 minutes ago, crypticorb said:

This works, but not guaranteed. The amount of time it disables the output depends on the speed ONI is running. I just ran a test and the automation output didn't always flash red, and when I hooked it up to an autodropper, it failed to disable it once in my short test. Not really worth saving space for that.

It's usually about lag, not about space... but i see your point and will keep it in mind.

So many are into performance stuff with ONI, must be a reason for that.
Nice find ^^ +3 - +6 FPS back confirmed on big map.
I also tested CPU cores for FPS increase, but gave nothing better then Razer cortex(freeware) and both could not do better, then setting up clean tasks/deactivate processes manually lol.
Gave me 10 FPS back and an OS looking like from 1973..

Archived