Need Help to Add Perks

Hi, I'm new on this of modding and I would really appreciate it if you could give me a little hand about the codes in .LUA file For DST.

1-All science machine recipes unlock (Like Wickerbottom)

2- Drained / Loss of sanity when chopping or burning trees, plants, etc.

3-Gain sanity when planting pinecone, bushes, Sapling, etc.

Also if you could tell me exactly where the codes should be, I would be really grateful.

Thank you for your attention  :D

Is this for a character mod, or do you want these effects to work for all players on the server. Since you're saying "perks", I'm guessing it's a character mod.

There's no shortcut to this kind of thing. The recipe unlock is pretty straight forward, and you can probably figure out how to do it, by looking at a character (vanilla or mod) that does this already, like Wickerbottom.

Points 2 and 3 depend on whether there are events for those actions you can listen to. Again, try searching for characters (vanilla or mods) that do sort of the same thing. That's really the best way to go about this. Otherwise, it's just about searching through the appropriate stategraphs, prefabs and components, to see where the events you want to react to are pushed. Point 3 is very likely to have useful events, but chopping trees doesn't call events on the character, so I think you'll have a hard time with that one.

I hope others can be of more help. These questions are a bit too broad for me to answer in detail.

If you're a novice to coding LUA, check out this crash course, and other tutorials on how to code LUA. There's really no way around it.

Edited by Ultroman

Thanks for the tip, I researched a little more and looking for other mods as you said, and I was able to find exactly what I needed (Even point 2 and yes, it was very difficult to find it).

And maybe you could help me more in this, I would like to decrease the drainage of sanity because it is very high.

-- Sanity penalty for chop trees
local function sanityfn(inst)
    if inst.sg:HasStateTag("chopping") then
        return TUNING.BEAVER_SANITY_PENALTY
    end
    return 0
end

Do you know how to adjust the loss of sanity?

This line :

You can find values in the tuning.lua file (in the script folder).

BEAVER_SANITY_PENALTY = -1.5,

Now you have three choices :

- you find another existing value in the tuning file that you want to use instead.

- you create your own tuning value (great if you use it in multiple files or have multiples custom values that you want to modify quickly). Something like this in your modmain :

GLOBAL.TUNING.MYCHARACTER_SANITY_PENALTY = -0.8

- you put directly the value you want to use. In this case, this could look like this :

return -1

Edited by Lumina

Sorry for not answering before.
I tried changing the return to -1, but that drained sanity for no reason. And unfortunately I don't know how to do the first and the second option.

I decided to keep it, anyway it's fine, more challenge for players.

Thank you very much for your help :D

13 minutes ago, Yoyo_Dodo said:

I tried changing the return to -1, but that drained sanity for no reason. And unfortunately I don't know how to do the first and the second option.

Just in case, what return did you changed ?

This one :

or this one ?

return 0

I can see how changing the second can cause the effect your mentioning, i don't see how changing the first will cause this (but i could miss something).

Then it's why, change the first one. The first one define the gain or loss of sanity when you do the "chopping" action.

The second is a general sanity function, the default one, that you don't need to change. It explain the constant sanity drain for no reason.

I put this and this error appears

if inst.sg:HasStateTag("chopping") then
        return -1 TUNING.BEAVER_SANITY_PENALTY
    end
    return 0
endThe second

error.jpg

You need to replace the value, not adding it. Something like this :