Instead of completely remove abyssalite from construction material, nerf it's insulator instead.

To be as insulate as ceramic.

So most of us play style wont be changed much, we need some early abyssalite to make some insulate building. And digging out abyssalite for no purpose at all is bad, cuz we cant wait until we complete make 10 tons of steel and,  lots of other materials to touch super insulator, because if we reaches that point, we need no more insulator material at all...

19 minutes ago, InternetGuy said:

I just decided to use mechanized airlocks as temporary shields. I use the insulate tiles instead which I make from pretty much anything I can find nearby. I find abyssalite to be a hassle to get to make buildings out of. That's just me.

Problem is not only about no insulator, it is about most of player's base and mechanic right now is made of abyssalite, and beside construct material, it has no purpose early game, lead to a very confusing point where game start before the update and if they continue to use that save after update, it lead to a very confuse situation where you dont want to deconstruct those abyssalite tiles.

2 hours ago, tranoze said:

Problem is not only about no insulator, it is about most of player's base and mechanic right now is made of abyssalite, and beside construct material, it has no purpose early game, lead to a very confusing point where game start before the update and if they continue to use that save after update, it lead to a very confuse situation where you dont want to deconstruct those abyssalite tiles.

Let's face it, abyssalite tiles were OP to begin with. It can't be an easy decision for the devs either. It's a hard transition but as players, we always do find a work around. Not an easy one but a workaround nonetheless.

Why is everyone fixated on abyssalite?

After the thermal averaging change hit, I stopped using or digging it at all, and since igneous insulated tiles are so effective there is almost zero reason to use abyssalite.

For most builds that operate at less than 500oC, any insulated tiles is more than sufficient. For volcanos, I've never needed more than 2 layers of ceramic insulated tiles. I only ever used abyssalite for an iron volcano that was putting out too much material.

Perfect insulation is hardly necessary except for extremely long term (500+cycles) builds that cannot be maintained, and until the super-insulator is obtained, igneous rock or ceramic insulated tiles works more than well enough.

6 hours ago, tranoze said:

wait, but they remove ability to build wall tiles of abyssalite, but tiles which already from abyssalite(which we built in previous patches) will left, and have same heat conductivity, right? I mean if abyssalite heat conductivity not changed we will left with our legacy abyssalite wall tiles, but couldn't build new one.

Anyway we still have vacuum with real 0% conductivity, just walls now will be in 3 layers with vacuum gap inside. You can evacuate gap with regular pump, no even need to use dor exploits(they could be fixed one day too).

23 minutes ago, D.L.S. said:

wait, but they remove ability to build wall tiles of abyssalite, but tiles which already from abyssalite(which we built in previous patches) will left, and have same heat conductivity, right? I mean if abyssalite heat conductivity not changed we will left with our legacy abyssalite wall tiles, but couldn't build new one.

Anyway we still have vacuum with real 0% conductivity, just walls now will be in 3 layers with vacuum gap inside. You can evacuate gap with regular pump, no even need to use dor exploits(they could be fixed one day too).

Tiles already constructed from abyssalite will retain all properties of the original material and tile, no change at all. The only change was you cannot build any NEW tiles from abyssalite, it simply isn't an option for construction material, either in normal gameplay or debug.

Vacuum insulation is actually a very good option for those who MUST have perfect insulation before going to space. It's just quite annoying to set up, and sacrifices the pump and pipeline, as well as having zero serviceability once it drains to vacuum. An alternative is to use insulated tile walls with chlorine pumped in between, as chlorine has incredibly low conductivity. 

I just wish there was a way to get more ceramic easier. Just a small build uses up all your reserves. As for abyssalite i`m ok with it no longer being a construction material. I even suggested they change it into a recipie for on lategame. Now we just need more early and midgame alternatives.

Archived