Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Mencken

Surviving only at sea - how long?

Recommended Posts

Mencken    311

Anyone tried this?   Pack as many supplies as you can then live on the high seas without ever landing.   No boat yard either.   

Btw what happens when you’re in a life vest in the ocean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pe5e    118

Pretty interesting idea. It reminds me of Joeshmocoolstuff´s Ruins Survial series. I thought about your concept a bit and here are some of my thoughts. Let me know what you think. I might do that challenge at some point.

Resources:
- Grass
- Twigs
- Logs from Mangrove Biom

- Vines
- Bamboo from Whales

- Stones
- Red/Blue/Purple Gems
- Fish from Trawl Net

- Gold/Dubloons from Trawl Net/Yaarctopus

- Tar from Tar Extractors/Quacken Peak

Food:
- Mussel Stick, Seaweed, Ballphin Farm and other Sea life.

Preparation(~5 days):
- First few days gather lots of sand (for structures), vines, bamboo (for Trawl Nets and other stuff), stone (for Hammers), silk and coconuts (for Fish Farms and Tar Extractors).
- Craft a science machine to prototype a sea lab. Catch a Parrot and craft a Piratihatitator to unlock the Chilled Amulet.

Problems:
- Sand, Silk and Coconuts are finite. 
- Cooling down is a problem, only chilled amulets can be used on sea.
- No access to a ton of usefull items including Magic Items.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mencken    311

So allow 5-10 days for gathering resources then live only at sea?    Food is obviously not an issue, sanity could be a problem, and eventually you might run out of boat repair kits.    I finally made it past 100 days in the regular setup and it’s fairly easy now barring stupid mistakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pe5e    118
44 minutes ago, Mencken said:

So allow 5-10 days for gathering resources then live only at sea?    Food is obviously not an issue, sanity could be a problem, and eventually you might run out of boat repair kits.    I finally made it past 100 days in the regular setup and it’s fairly easy now barring stupid mistakes.

Some setup like that yes. You accually cant use boat repair kits since silk is limted to the 5 days. You simply craft a second boat once your old one is damaged too much, jump boats and hammer the old one for resources. The far bigger barriers are the lightning in hurricane season which requires you to spawn tigershark with wave surfing and using your limted bamboo to trawl for blue gems in order to get past dry season.

 

You base location is also rather important. You would like to have Mangroves, Coral Reefs, one or more Swordfish spawners, Yaarctopus and both shallow and deep ocean section rather close together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grekon    171
On 10/1/2018 at 8:42 PM, pe5e said:

Some setup like that yes. You accually cant use boat repair kits since silk is limted to the 5 days. You simply craft a second boat once your old one is damaged too much, jump boats and hammer the old one for resources. The far bigger barriers are the lightning in hurricane season which requires you to spawn tigershark with wave surfing and using your limted bamboo to trawl for blue gems in order to get past dry season.

 

You base location is also rather important. You would like to have Mangroves, Coral Reefs, one or more Swordfish spawners, Yaarctopus and both shallow and deep ocean section rather close together.

How would you get flint for axe and pickaxe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pe5e    118
5 minutes ago, grekon said:

How would you get flint for axe and pickaxe?

You dont need flint after you left land for tools because you can use gold instead and also not for spears because you can kill swordfish for weapons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Majestix    237

Woodlegs would be a good character for that. You might not even need weapons, due to his infinite durability cannon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pe5e    118
5 hours ago, Majestix said:

Woodlegs would be a good character for that. You might not even need weapons, due to his infinite durability cannon.

I dont think so given that Woodlegs main perk in spawning treasures is useless as you are not allowed to enter land to actually get them. Also the sea legs is not renewable on sea because you cant get nitre, eggs or coconuts in the ocean. 

The best character for this challenge should be WX-78. He can spawn Flooty Booty Knights to live forever and is not bothered by the lightning as there is no other way to protect your stuff from lighting on sea. The worst character should be Warly as you cant use crockpots or drying racks, he needs to eat more and hates the same food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites