Is this a good natural gas gens + petrol gens setup?

Yea, It just dinged in my head when I read the first part of your reply, doh, solar power, you can't just "store" the sun and use it when you need it. Now it makes perfect sense, if you have a solar generator setup, you need to have batteries on the main grid. I'll need to think of how to implement something similar into my setup once I start with solar.

But, I see what you mean by trying unsuccesfully to build power hungry systems... I was trying to up my consumption to increase my CO2 and PW output from the coal gens and the nat gas gens, to feed more slicksters and pincha peppers (no cold slush on the map), but I have no idea what else useful I can hook up to it to drain more.

45 minutes ago, riwenna said:

Yea, It just dinged in my head when I read the first part of your reply, doh, solar power, you can't just "store" the sun and use it when you need it. Now it makes perfect sense, if you have a solar generator setup, you need to have batteries on the main grid. I'll need to think of how to implement something similar into my setup once I start with solar.

But, I see what you mean by trying unsuccesfully to build power hungry systems... I was trying to up my consumption to increase my CO2 and PW output from the coal gens and the nat gas gens, to feed more slicksters and pincha peppers (no cold slush on the map), but I have no idea what else useful I can hook up to it to drain more.

I'm up to about 3000-3500Kj usage, with about 1/4 of that being transit tubes (those things are very power hungry) and another 1/4 being gas pumps.  My generated power is always 5000Kj+.  The doors for the solar setup and regolith crushing also use a TON of power when they run, which is limited by meteor shower frequency.  I've set it up now so that my NG and Hydrogen gens run through the night, just to burn up extra fuel.  My overpressurized NG room has like 2500Kg per tile at this point, and nearly as much for Hydrogen as well.

To the OP, whose thread I didn't mean to hijack, you really need to think about how much power you intend to use.  What you have in your screenshot will produce a LOT of power and is likely overkill.  I know my bases at 300-500 cycles typically don't use more than 500-1000Kj per day.

4 hours ago, riwenna said:

I'm trying to simulate your setup, one smart battery for each transformer and connected to OR gate that connects to another smart battery and last one to all generators. Question is, the first OR gate, what's the 2nd input? I only have a smart battery connected to it5b9c2f09eec18_SemTtulo.thumb.png.1097341193613b0e4ff1664ca02ff68a.png

10 hours ago, jfc said:

I'm trying to simulate your setup, one smart battery for each transformer and connected to OR gate that connects to another smart battery and last one to all generators. Question is, the first OR gate, what's the 2nd input? I only have a smart battery connected to it

Technically, what you have there will work, but you should connect each batteries automation to it's transformer as well.  You can also take out the first OR gate and connect that battery down to the OR below it.

Otherwise if any single battery needs charged, all of the generators AND transformers are going to be running and producing heat.  In fact, it would actually recharge all of the batteries anytime the generators are active.

You could also put a few batteries (or even just 1 if you want) on the high side with the generators and then use those to control when the generators run.  Then you only need the automation connecting each battery and transformer for each circuit and can get rid of all of the OR gates.

36 minutes ago, Nitroturtle said:

Technically, what you have there will work, but you should connect each batteries automation to it's transformer as well.  You can also take out the first OR gate and connect that battery down to the OR below it.

Otherwise if any single battery needs charged, all of the generators AND transformers are going to be running and producing heat.  In fact, it would actually recharge all of the batteries anytime the generators are active.

You could also put a few batteries (or even just 1 if you want) on the high side with the generators and then use those to control when the generators run.  Then you only need the automation connecting each battery and transformer for each circuit and can get rid of all of the OR gates.

And technically, in many cases, OR Gates are not needed at all.  Take the following example:

NOR1.thumb.jpg.d3b3c3347284f4d9b9bc8cb9769e9cc6.jpg

This is one of my environmental air pumps.  Here I'm detecting if there's either oxygen, OR the air pressure is too low. (The atmo sensor is set to below 500G)  This then goes through a NOT gate to the mini air pump.  If either sensor is ON, the wire connecting both of them to the back of the NOT turns ON (Of course) and shuts the pump off.

Basically, any number of sensors hooked up to the same automation wire already naturally function as an OR gate.  Thus, technically, all of those smart batteries could just be hooked up to a single wire and it would function the same way.  The only thing that an actual OR gate does differently is separate the signal from one wire traveling into the other wire.

22 minutes ago, The Flying Fox said:

Basically, any number of sensors hooked up to the same automation wire already naturally function as an OR gate.  Thus, technically, all of those smart batteries could just be hooked up to a single wire and it would function the same way.  The only thing that an actual OR gate does differently is separate the signal from one wire traveling into the other wire.

The batteries need to be connected to their respective transformers as well.  Doing this necessitates the OR gates for the reason you mention, to separate the signal. 

2 hours ago, Nitroturtle said:

Oh yeah I forgot about that, the connection of the batteries with transformers

Archived