Expecting Debuff alert

4 hours ago, Gnarmaw said:

I'm in favor of the removal of the expecting debuff all together

The problem with that is that it would make ranching trivial.  Just put them in a 2x2 room, and they will multiply exponentially and you will feast on meat.

6 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

But the population will not extinct with the expecting debuff unless all the critters are the same age. Once the oldest die off new eggs should appear.

very close to full extinction actually.

The expecting debuff puts ALL your fishes on pause from reproduction.     It's not overcrowded related. 

It's based on an EGG sitting in the room.   1 egg puts all fishes into expecting debuff thus pausing their % growth reproduction.
Until the egg hatches which is 5 cycles.  and a new one gets laid  it pretty much kills off your entire population down to 2 to 3 fishes.
This is what happened to my 100+ fish farm.   got like 3 fishes floating and 3 eggs on the floor.

There's a trick to the expecting.  You can just put a prismatic door open state on the floor along the bottom and any critter that lays eggs puts the eggs out of the way into another technically new room.

This is what I do for my puft room. 

Or you can have a sweeper and sweep all eggs and drop them into an opened door prismatic cage until they hatch and move out of it.

22 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

It's based on an EGG sitting in the room.   1 egg puts all fishes into expecting debuff thus pausing their % growth reproduction.
Until the egg hatches which is 5 cycles.  and a new one gets laid  it pretty much kills off your entire population down to 2 to 3 fishes.
This is what happened to my 100+ fish farm.   got like 3 fishes floating and 3 eggs on the floor.

As far as I understand, the expecting debuff is made to prevent overcrowding.  The egg only causes overcrowding if the number of eggs plus the number of critters would overcrowd the room.  If you had a fish tank large enough for your 100+ fish plus the eggs they lay, then you wouldn't get the expecting debuff.  I think the main purpose of this debuff is to fix the 100 fish in a tank.  The game should make this clearer.

Sure.  I get that we need to 'control' our eggs growing -   but without alerts   or means to cap  new fishes. its possible to just wipe the entire colony out because everything decided to take a pause on egg laying.     I don't mind a cap on the over crowded thing.   maybe  reproduction continues to increase in %.  but does not actually lay an egg until  there is more room. so as soon as one fish dies  it will lay its egg to replace.

Archived