Easy Petroleum cooker

So I posted a bug because I got annoyed with this feature. But now that I think about it what can I make with it.

My build uses tempshift plats and isolated granite tile and some magma. 

Everything is built in debug, but it is so easy to build shoulnt be to hard to make in survival.

How it works the insulated granit tile will heat up to about 400C and when it hits that it will turn 5 kg of crude oil to Petroleum and cool down the tile a little bit.

There is a minimum amount of liquid or this prosses will not happen. With oil it looks like 870 kg.

34721CE58216DD01B278F3C372C9038F42CD0825

Edit: Realized that the save have different build. because it destroyed some petroleum. oh well. same principle.

The Hopeful Spacestation.sav

As granite is not an insulator, it will heat up even as an insulated tile.  It is a slow process, and with how tempshift plating interacts with other elements next to them, I'm not surprised this works.

Granite has a thermal conductivity of 3.39.  As an insulated tile, this becomes 0.0339, which is pretty low, but still high enough that it will transfer heat -- slowly.  Ceramic is an insulator and has a thermal conductivity of 0.62. As an insulated tile, this drops to 0.0062, which means that it is slightly better than Chlorine Gas (0.008) at insulating.  So if you replaced that insulated tile with ceramic, your system would stop working.

However, now I'm somewhat interested in what the rate of boiling is, and if it is self regulating.  Over time, would it get too hot and vaporize the oil into sour gas?  Does it produce petroleum fast enough to power a petrol generator?  I may have to play around with your idea. :)

45 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

However, now I'm somewhat interested in what the rate of boiling is, and if it is self regulating.  Over time, would it get too hot and vaporize the oil into sour gas?

Rate is limited to 5kg/frame, no matter how fast you reheat the tile. It will only heat up to sour gas temperature if it isn't in contact with crude oil at all times, which can be easily guaranteed by dripping more on top, controlled by pressure detector (petroleum has lower pressure limit than crude).

Archived