Question about radiant pipes

When using Radiant Pipes to transfer heat is it generally better to put the colder element inside the pipe and the warmer element outside? 

Or the more "extreme" temperature inside and the more moderate temperature outside?

Or is it perfectly fine to have hot water you want to cool running through a room of -20C hydrogen? (Because this doesn't really work for me maybe I'm doing it wrong?)

Yeah, with the saying that it equalizes - That nails it. Im working on an oil/ice temp exchanger right now, the radiant pipes are super simples. Neotuck knows the game much better than me...

Just watch that the water doesnt change state in the pipe, from fluid to frozen - State change inside a pipe breaks the pipe. Check the various temperature ranges on fluids and gases, then you know what you can combine with what.

"Or is it perfectly fine to have hot water you want to cool running through a room of -20C hydrogen?"

I had radiant pipes with hot water going through a -20C room of hydrogen and the pipes kept breaking.  But the water was not going below 5C.  I'll see if I can get a screenshot.

Basically any time I try to cool water by running it through radiant pipes in a cold biome the pipes break.

1 hour ago, greggbert said:

I had radiant pipes with hot water going through a -20C room of hydrogen and the pipes kept breaking.  But the water was not going below 5C.  I'll see if I can get a screenshot.

You probably had some small water packets from pump-start, pump-stop or game loading in there. Very old problem, still current. The new fluid-tanks could probably buffer this out if you make sure they are always filled though.

Archived