Two major FPS improvement tips ( Paths & Materials )

After playing thousands of cycles on a few maps, if you have FPS issues...Just having one single path to get anywhere in the map, makes a huge performance improvement if one is low on FPS. Building a single path for the entire map is tricky to design and may get rid of a lot of nice looking build details, but the game can run so much faster again. Ive also destroyed 99% materials and hundreds of full compactors in the game ( via debug mode Im afraid ) and stuff laying around, this also was a major FPS increase contributor. I know this stuff is posted more or less in other topics, but really just reworking an existing map, with the only goal to increase FPS speed in mind, makes the game soooooo more running smooth after an successful FPS map rework.

Yeah, only having a few dupes helps too. Little amount of built automation also helps. I guess you also have an Intel i7 or i9 cpu ( single core turbo boost ) ? Amd ryzen & threadripper are sadly still way behind intel on a single core running game like oni or city skylines. Amd is making the single core problem more bad as they move on as they are adding more and more cores, as lots of they cores share logic design/cache resources and the focus is on the core race. I really like amd and have used lots of their multicore cpus. Amd is since a recent while now great again for multicore games and work.

ONI...Also not building too much or other "crazy stuff" in the map keeps the fps up :) If you dont mind to share, whats your cpu ?

ONI & City Skylines run good on the top 10 single thread performers, once a year I upgrade to the top 10 for single core games.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

ONI FPS scales exactly with the benchmark score value, gpu is on holiday for this game.

At least with City Skylines multicores help a bit more, as the graphic card also needs lots of feeding in that game -  Especially with some graphic mods + a ton of general mods.

I have questions.

- What about ladders? I noticed the wonky navigation pathways when I began to clean up my base. Are they considered as loops?  Should we avoid building horizontal ladder bridges, and fire poles right beside ladders?

5b8614b20aeaa_Capturedecran2018-08-28a23_19_04.thumb.png.6d93e1e506e9e745603e7f5b2888d55a.png

- Critters were not mentioned, especially the flying and swimming ones. From what I understand, keeping a low number of critters AND restricting their movements will help with performance?

5b86141903cee_Capturedecran2018-08-28a22_36_42.thumb.png.9600b8c4174d25ce2d42c3594394e7d8.png

- I also remembered having read a long time ago to avoid at all cost piping configurations where liquids and gases have more than one possible travel path, because it also has a detrimental effect on performance.

5b861db65685a_Capturedecran2018-08-29a00_04_07.thumb.jpg.478a1633c88ebf9d99def2f0cf65c822.jpg

Thanks for bringing all these things up too, it will help a lot of players. There is a lot of other seasoned players having a detail knowledge what brings the games frame rate speed up/down, your input is great too :)

Yes, every A or B patch which can be chosen by a dupe or creature to get to a destination takes a toll on the frame rate. One can test in debug mode, with the own loaded map what happens if you spawn 100 or 1000 puffs in to the map as an example, or clone areas of the map which have lots of built automation, what amount of game speed can be increased/recovered by deleting all Y crossings a dupe can take, how much the FPS impact is on crazy back and forth water pipeworks with lots of crossings, splits, valves, what happens when 100 dupes want to go to the toilet at the same time and what not. One can learn a lot in debug mode. Long time I believed it would break the game immersion for me, the opposite has happened. The big advantage of the debug mode is that big changes can be performed very fast and the FPS change or whatever else one wants to test... Debug mode can skip dozens, hundred or a thousand game day cycles of time consuming work and doing those major changes +watching the end result outcome in a minute or 10. As end results can happen as fast as a finger snip, the prompt result in the game can lead to an "Aha!" learning effect. 

Game on :)

Archived