Old lighting/shadow system

I think lighting should have more practical uses like increasing run speed or the speed with which dupes do certain tasks like research. It makes sense they do it faster when they see what they are doing. The bonus would apply if they are in a "well lit" area.

Lights in freshly mined corridors with a wire dangling above dupes heads would give it a nice feeling of being in a mine.

8 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

I think lighting should have more practical uses like increasing run speed or the speed with which dupes do certain tasks like research. It makes sense they do it faster when they see what they are doing. The bonus would apply if they are in a "well lit" area.

Lights in freshly mined corridors with a wire dangling above dupes heads would give it a nice feeling of being in a mine.

That is actually a very good idea! It wouldn't bother those who like the game as is and still offer incentive to light the base.

They could tie this in with animations to hint at the debuffs while in darkness - scientists would get mildly irritated at the research table, wheel operators could occasionally spin out of the machine, etc...

Right now the only real reason, apart from decor, to have lights is:

a) bristle berries illumination requirement

b) terrarium illumination bonus

c) generating power

There's room for improvement and they should imho expand on the idea more.

+1

Archived