Is 30C actually cold.

I just had a dupe get a cold air debuff in 30oC hydrogen. We assume 30oC is pretty hot actually but it`s still lower than the natural body temperature for human or dupe in this instance. This means heat is transferring away from the body. It`s not much of a problem in oxygen but hydrogen has much higher thermal conductivity. I realised i was never surrounded by hydrogen at this temperature so i got no idea how it would feel. Would it actually be cold? Is this something that can happen IRL?

Think of a pool which has even higher thermal conductivity than air.  Do you get cold when swimming in 30C water?

Same thing happens in the game at the start location.  The temp is around 25C which is comfortable for dupes except when they get wet

So the answer is yes the higher the thermal conductivity the smaller the range of comfortable tempature a dupe can endure.  It's the same in real life

51 minutes ago, FutureJohny said:

For human 30C is just fine for extended swimming. However we unlike dupes have active thermoregulation. They are essentialy cold blooded and 30C water drains their body temperature.

They regulate their temp to some extent so they are not cold blooded. But not as much as a hydrogen 30C atmosphere draws on their thermal energy. 

30c is WARM water! That's warmer than any pool setting I'm aware of, maybe not hot shower, but still. The problem with the dupe thermal modelling in your case is that they should be generating enough ehat (digestion, and just warm blooded, right?) that 30c water would act more as an insulator than a heat sink depending on whether there is a current or not (by moving through it or flow). If the dupe is relatively still in the water it should insulate, if he's moving around it would slightly cool them, but good lord, all the food they eat should be doing SOME thermal increase on their little bodies!

2 hours ago, dearmad said:

30c is WARM water!

I never did say it was cold, only you will eventually get cold if you stay in it long enough.  Granted this will take a long time as warm blooded mammals we will burn calories to keep our core temperature up so this is unlikely to happen

As for the insulating you are not entirely correct, what is happening is the water is warming up past 30C and getting closer to 37C(human body temperature)  As you mentioned this depends on whether there is a current or not.  For water to insulate there needs to be a thermal barrier like a wet suit

Archived