Cooling a "cool" steam vent

6 hours ago, Christophlette said:

I've finished doing a better setup base on suggestion :

setup.thumb.png.26e3aea41f0ae86746c59ee9c473753a.png

The two gas pumps are there to create vacuum. And I'm still using wheezeworts to see if it can work in a optimal setup. The only thing I could improve are the metal tiles. They are made of iron instead of tungsten or gold but well... I couldn't afford that much refined metal.

The vent is not yet out of his dormancy cycle. So fingers crossed ! :D

Very good! It is already improving a lot.
I suggest it is that the tem
mpshifts really touch the water that is going to condense down. That is a very important point, to keep the temperature of the room "homogeneous".
I also suggest you leave some access for your dupes. Sometimes it is necessary to enter for anything and it is better not to have to go around deconstructing everything.
And finally, 5-6 
wheezeworts would be enough to cool the vent. Later in another vent you will need more of them and they will not be enough.
Go ahead!

3 hours ago, psusi said:

That's why it is better to let the wheezewarts cool the water to bank the cold during dormancy, then the water can cool the steam.

A bit of hydrogen in the room to facilitate temperature exchange and some thermal mass like the temp shift plates while positioning the cooling element above is still preferable. Because there is a very strong bias to move cold down and heat up. Remember, also, you're using that water. And in the case of a coolant scheme under the water, you're particularly using the coldest water first, closest to the cooling element, furthest from the steam geyser, whenever you're pumping water for your base.

7 minutes ago, Whispershade said:

A bit of hydrogen in the room to facilitate temperature exchange and some thermal mass like the temp shift plates while positioning the cooling element above is still preferable. Because there is a very strong bias to move cold down and heat up. Remember, also, you're using that water. And in the case of a coolant scheme under the water, you're particularly using the coldest water first, closest to the cooling element, furthest from the steam geyser, whenever you're pumping water for your base.

Ahh true... those temp shift plates do have a good bit of thermal mass.  In my last game I just let the steam condense in the natural cave the vent was in, then open a door to let it drop down into a secondary holding tank I made and didn't bother trying to cool it.

Archived