IQ drop?

Did duplicants get really stupid with the Expressive Update? I'm having trouble getting more than 25 cycles in before someone paints himself into a corner and suffocates or pees in my water for no reason.

I just had four duplicants simultaneously entomb their heads in sandstone floor tile. They were my only four duplicants. It's been like this all day.

I hate to break it to you, but the dupes have already increased their survival skills in comparison to the past. Klei is obviously trying to resolve the issue, but i'd imagine the cases are becoming harder to track down now.

My favorite: Build a room without a door. Dupe steps into the room to build the floor/ceiling, then finishes the side-walls. Trapped.

That being said, your case might as well be an "excavation accident". If you dig through sand (or snow, or regolith), any sand with no non-sand tile below it, will fall down. This can create path blockers that seal of your dupes. This happens frequently when buildings ladders. I am torn on whether dupes should be able to avoid this or whether it needs player action. Currently i am inclined to say the later. So maybe it is something you need to be more careful about.

37 minutes ago, blash365 said:

This happens frequently when buildings ladders. I am torn on whether dupes should be able to avoid this or whether it needs player action. Currently i am inclined to say the later. So maybe it is something you need to be more careful about.

To quote a general problem from Dwarf Fortress, there's a reason all dwarves are assumed to be permanently drunk.  The amount of times they'll cross over an intersection to get behind the wall they just cask of Amontillado'd themselves into is astounding.

I am perfectly okay if a team of people want to fix a bad AI decision tree that one coder alone can't catch up on.  It's only funny the first 20 times...

44 minutes ago, blash365 said:

I hate to break it to you, but the dupes have already increased their survival skills in comparison to the past. Klei is obviously trying to resolve the issue, but i'd imagine the cases are becoming harder to track down now.

My favorite: Build a room without a door. Dupe steps into the room to build the floor/ceiling, then finishes the side-walls. Trapped.

That being said, your case might as well be an "excavation accident". If you dig through sand (or snow, or regolith), any sand with no non-sand tile below it, will fall down. This can create path blockers that seal of your dupes. This happens frequently when buildings ladders. I am torn on whether dupes should be able to avoid this or whether it needs player action. Currently i am inclined to say the later. So maybe it is something you need to be more careful about.

I was regularly getting 85 cycles in with very little micro-management. Something's different for me the last two days. Suddenly, there's something I "need to be more careful about".

That's close to my situation with the four that paved themselves over. The lower row was already part of a void from when the map generated.

I continued my latest game and I got a message about a morale update that required me to choose to convert my game or go on without the update. I started a new game and now everything feels normal. Before, I kept having one duplicant go into a downward spiral of stress early in the game. That's back to normal now, too.

Archived