Oil in abyssalite pipes heats up 0.1C/sec in a cold biome!

44 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

because of the clamping in case of just a small difference in thermal energy there will be no heat transfer at all.

According to the decryption thread, that clamping isn't used in Building-cell, so the pipe-cell case is out of the question - you can only do it for pipe-content (or cell/cell, which doesn't concern us for now).

So can you show us a non-isolated example of this occurrence? By non-isolated I mean out in the open, not just 2 things interacting. The idea is, even if you make it in isolation, it should still hold when you remove that isolation layer and some heat transfer with the environment occurs. Otherwise it's useless in survival mode and will just happen for a small amount of time.

Here is a cooked example of this (again from the decryption thread):

If you're wondering about that "thermal energy delta" rule, consider the following case:
Cell 1 is 1kg of hydrogen at 320K, cell 2 is 800kg of gold amalgalm at 6.4K (not a naturally found temperature, but you'll understand the choice)
Here, Q1 = 2.4 * 1 * 320 = 768, and Q2 = 0.15 * 800 * 6.4 = 768
This causes ΔQ' to be capped at |Q2 - Q1| / 8 = 0: no transfer is done despite the huge temperature difference and the relatively good conductivities. Making sense to you? Yeah, neither to me :p

I just tested it with a bit different numbers - 2kg Hydrogen at 320K(45.9°) next to 64kg Gold ore at 160K(-113.2°) - indeed - no transfer.(since 2*320*2.4 = 64*160*0.15)

However, let's perturb(change by a small amount) 1 of the temperatures, by, let's say 1°(that's the minimum I can change, since I can't work with fractional temperature or mass - I can only set a temperature to whole degree values), so let's have instead 2k Hydrogen at 319K(44.9°) vs 64kg Gold ore at 160K(-113.2°). The result - almost instant heat transfer and reaching same temperatures.

Do you see see the problem? In a survival scenario, even the small change in mass/temperature of 1 of the 2 sides will cause difference in thermal energies => instant thermal transfer.

The reason? Compare 64kg Gold ore(-95.6°) vs 2kg Hydrogen(-95.6°) - this is the thermal equilibrium situation. Now Q1=64kg*0.15kJ/kg/K*369K = 3542kJ, Q2 = 2kg*2.4kJ/kg/K*369K=1771.2kJ. The thermal energies are vastly different! However, the two materials are in equilibrium and don't exchange heat. So what actually happens is we start with ~5300kJ equally distributed between the 2 (so 2650 vs 2650), then we take even 1J away => Heat transfer begins. Now at this point, the heat transfer doesn't try to equalize the 2 energies - on the contrary - it tries to break the balance of energies even more! This is why I wouldn't depend on this effect in my game - the smallest change will break your thermal energy balance and cause a massive heat transfer.

1 hour ago, Lilalaunekuh said:
  Hide contents

How to heat insulated abyssalite tiles:

2.thumb.jpg.aba5ecf0af25acf12738a04e11d9afb6.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.ab84721861e25ba744bf2c72ae25d5db.jpg

(Look at the clock to see how fast it exchanges temperature^^)

This is a nice example to test insulated abyssalite tile limits. Can you tell us what the surrounding temperature/materials are? Also what the tempshift plates are made of? I imagine you're using diamond/lava?

Also notice the pipe's temperature remains unchanged, although the tile is 700+°C !

That's definitely +1 for insulated tiles :) I'm curious if the effect will be the same if you have another material for the tile instead of abyssalite.

1. My test results for non-insulated abyssalite pipes changed when I run my test yesterday. (They heat up)

=> So not sure what have changed, but the development log would suggest nothing has changed ...7

7 hours ago, martosss said:

This is a nice example to test insulated abyssalite tile limits. Can you tell us what the surrounding temperature/materials are? Also what the tempshift plates are made of? I imagine you're using diamond/lava?

To increase the temperature difference the test was done using a hot insulated abyssalite tile and some normal water with diamond temp shift plates. (The upper right tempshift plates shows you that my atmosphere is a vacuume)

7 hours ago, martosss said:

Also notice the pipe's temperature remains unchanged, although the tile is 700+°C !

Not sure if we can use these as proof that the pipe will not change temperature.

(The constant flow of cold water would keep the temperature in check and this test was not even 10 seconds long)

Archived