Super simple Woodie buff idea.


Recommended Posts

I already posted this on the Steam Community forums and the one response I've gotten so far was positive, so I'm posting it here so that it will more easily be seen by the devs. For this idea, I'm literally just adding one new mechanic, all stats of both Woodie and the Werebeaver stay the same number-wise. However, when in Werebeaver form, regardless of your actual Sanity level, you will not suffer any of the actual EFFECTS of insanity until you transform back to human. This way, all of the established non-combat perks of the Werebeaver become more relevant since you're not constantly forced into a combat situation. If this is too much of a buff, just remove the sanity gain from Woodie planting pinecones(thus making sanity harder to restore once you change back to human, which would've likely put you at 0 sanity if you'd been a Werebeaver for any significant amount of time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, scaarfito said:

I think the big woodie-problem is the Maxwell-is-Better one and I am not sure if this help but I don't say it's a bad buff, it sounds good 

No, the biggest problem is that the werebeaver is almost entirely a con, even though that's pretty much all he's got going for him. In DST it's highly discouraged due to his sanity dropping like a rock, and the werebeaver's poor combat abilities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

No, the biggest problem is that the werebeaver is almost entirely a con, even though that's pretty much all he's got going for him. In DST it's highly discouraged due to his sanity dropping like a rock, and the werebeaver's poor combat abilities.

Yeah after thinking it also make being in beaver form viable so the log consuming gets reduced and woodie is then faster and more effective than Maxwell also , so I take back what I said

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, scaarfito said:

Yeah after thinking it also make being in beaver form viable so the log consuming gets reduced and woodie is then faster and more effective than Maxwell also , so I take back what I said

Well, it's not just about efficiency. It would be the whole Wolfgang vs. Wigfrid thing again, except with Max and Woodie. One might be better in a numbers standpoint, but the other is still going to have their appeal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Well, it's not just about efficiency. It would be the whole Wolfgang vs. Wigfrid thing again, except with Max and Woodie. One might be better in a numbers standpoint, but the other is still going to have their appeal. 

Yeah I would like to see that because I really like woodie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This buff is designed to make the beaver less of a hassle and more of an actual perk, without outright removing any of the weaknesses that it already has in place. You'd still lose the sanity, it's just that the effects would not apply as long as you remain a beaver. You'd still be a crap fighter as a beaver, just that thanks to the insanity penalty not applying you wouldn't be chased by shadows and forced into fights all the time. (Thus making it more practical to use the non-combat perks of beaver mode.) Maxwell might still arguably be the better gatherer, but it'd be more like the Wolf/Wig situation rather than this colossal imbalance we have ATM. And as someone who likes playing Woodie, that would make me very happy as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, as a non-biased Woodie Main, I'd absolutely love this. The current downsides of Woodie will still be in effect, but Werebeaver actually becomes usable for it's intended purpose.

However, imo, i'd make it so Woodie doesn't technically go insane at all until he reverts back to human (ie, his Sanity doesn't drop over time during Werebeaver, but he takes an instant hit after), to prevent easy nightmare fuel farming for other characters.

(Btw, Im the author of the guide OP commented on, thanks for for bringing this to my attention.) (My Guide: "Werebeaver is Viable! [Strong Woodie Strat]")

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm fine with the sanity drain, I personally would rather see the werebeaver get the ability to view the map (without using the minimap mod), wear hats or receive the ability to heal. Buffs to damage and armour would be nice too, but I think that being able to view the map is more important. As it stands, if a player dies as a werebeaver, likely due to a combination of the shadows and not being able to see properly thanks to the screen tint, they cannot view the map as a ghost and must wander blindly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ressayez said:

I'm fine with the sanity drain, I personally would rather see the werebeaver get the ability to view the map (without using the minimap mod), wear hats or receive the ability to heal. Buffs to damage and armour would be nice too, but I think that being able to view the map is more important. As it stands, if a player dies as a werebeaver, likely due to a combination of the shadows and not being able to see properly thanks to the screen tint, they cannot view the map as a ghost and must wander blindly.

Honestly, I've considered other changes to the beaver's stats, but Klei obviously wants the beaver to be a terrible fighter in DST. You're supposed to fight as Woodie, the beaver is for gathering only. The reason is because Woodie would be a worse troll in PvP than Wigfrid if they gave beaver form its fighting stats back. However, I will say one thing, and that's that the beaver not being able to look at the map even while dead is a real problem, and one I've faced many times. They obviously meant for the beaver to not be able to look at the map though, and it's more of a viable downside when you're alive because you can simply change back to view it. Here's a compromise: In addition to the changes to sanity I proposed, dead beavers(not living ones, only dead) should be able to access the map same as any other ghost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/11/2018 at 3:46 PM, KingEdward9830 said:

This buff is designed to make the beaver less of a hassle and more of an actual perk, without outright removing any of the weaknesses that it already has in place. You'd still lose the sanity, it's just that the effects would not apply as long as you remain a beaver. You'd still be a crap fighter as a beaver, just that thanks to the insanity penalty not applying you wouldn't be chased by shadows and forced into fights all the time. (Thus making it more practical to use the non-combat perks of beaver mode.) Maxwell might still arguably be the better gatherer, but it'd be more like the Wolf/Wig situation rather than this colossal imbalance we have ATM. And as someone who likes playing Woodie, that would make me very happy as well.

The ignores insanity is compensating for a con thats that outweighs any benefit to Woodie in Beaver form. The Tree planting sanity regen was already suppose to be the counter balance in my gameplay experience. Anything that compensates for the sanity loss is just accretion and doesn't really solve anything. Lowering the sanity lost per minute would just drag out the problem too. We should all just focus on the real problem. Nobody likes an insanity aura in every other situation in the game when confronted by an insanity aura we kill the source or avoid it. We shouldn't be the insanity source because we can't kill ourselves, we can only avoid the form which ruins the a majority of Woodie.

Sidenote: PvP is such a niche game mode that the main mode survival should not be sacrificed. So what if Werebeaver hits hard it can't hold a more powerful weapon or use armor and in a long drawn out battle it struggles to use healing items. Plus you'll have to fight all those shadow creatures.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.