Potential improvements on oil boiler design?

So I've created this oil to natural gas boiler, and am interested in getting some external thoughts on ways it could be improved.

I'll give some basic info on it, screenshots, and then mention my thoughts.

Produces:

• 2 kg natural gas / s at around 200-225 C
  • 1.6 kg igneous rock / s at around 270 C
  • Small amount of steam power (uptime around 25%)

Consumes:

• 2 kg oil / s at 125 C or lower.
  • 1.6 kg magma / s at 1796 C
  • 1 kW energy
  • Small amount of cooling

Overview.thumb.png.200bcf09e2bedd0fbfa5257ac014cf77.png

The general concept is pretty simple, but execution always gets more complicated...the magma chamber is a simulated volcano.

Magma is dropped in small quantities such that it only solidifies into items.  This heat is transferred into the boiler.  When more magma is needed, the igneous rock is dropped below, where it is shipped through the boiler room, and then the steam turbine.  The left shipping chamber is setup so that igneous rock is only shipped out if everything is backed up, thus maximizing the time it can spend exchanging heat.

Oil is pumped in at a constant 2000 g/s.  Radiant pipes before and through the steam turbine preheat up to about 275 C - the oil is then dripped onto a metal tile heat exchanger in the main boiling chamber.  The resulting natural gas exits, is cooled by the steam turbine, and is cooled down to 120 C by exiting natural gas, and the incoming oil.  The gas pump cooling is a safeguard that rarely runs.

Spoiler

Automation.thumb.png.2242d045414ca87fba02472a510874e2.pngPlumbing.thumb.png.f40f3e587de847f3198955f9857a9287.pngShipping.thumb.png.aa4ed44228b7d4ccd0b35cbc7cb29101.pngVentilation.thumb.png.86080591edc144c42692ea5213919d05.png

So I'm pretty proud of this, but I know there are obviously things that could be improved upon.  Cleaning up automation (if possible...), plumbing, and power lines are the easy steps.  At some point I'll also likely reduce the size of the volcano 'tap' since it has a lot of dead space right now.  But reducing the amount of magma consumed seems difficult, and I'm not sure where I might look to improve that.

I'd love to answer any questions and here any thoughts, thanks.

Built on vacuum on survival, 40 cycles to build.

I dont try to collect the igneous, but we can still boil oil with 650 degrees hot Stone.

The magma to oil ratio is about 1kg : 5.5kg gas on my tests.

If your Steam generator is connected to your heatsource, that deletes heat.

My system collects heat 1) diamond tempshift on falling liquid between 300-540 C. 2) between 76-300 radiant pipes.

If gas overheats, a third room boils pW to neutralise it. Its more needed with higher throughput.

Oh, and you can use your outgoing 5kg gas, to selfpower it, but needs 3 coal gens for startup. Worked for 40 cycles now, biggest issue is co2 management.

10 minutes ago, Carnis said:

The magma to oil ratio is about 1kg : 5.5kg gas on my tests.

Wow.  Looking at your design then, that blows mine out of the water.

Edit: Ok, I might have to rework my setup.  I think a single thermally buffered door pump might be the difference...

1 hour ago, AzeTheGreat said:

Wow.  Looking at your design then, that blows mine out of the water.

Edit: Ok, I might have to rework my setup.  I think a single thermally buffered door pump might be the difference...

Thermo insulation is one thing.

Your design is very nice & compact. Mine is messy.

Your design uses Steam generator, and that takes >300 degree gas and deletes massive heat.

If you want more efficiency, you will need to recapture heat between The whole 76-540 range. I cycle my piped oil back to my reservoir, whenever the boiling process does not need more oil, this way I store heat and cool My output gas without deleting heat.

1 hour ago, Oni Noob said:

This is a good design in creative mode but hard to recreate in real game

I would say its rather easy to build? Just build from left to right. Use ladders etc, build the pipes etc first and then build the rest, let the pumps create a vacuum etc. I would just leave the volcano room with gas in it since the small amount of heat loss will be negligible. I think the difficulty would be kickstarting it unless you let it run for a bit without oil and then started the oil flow once the systems temperature has primed.

1 hour ago, Oni Noob said:

This is a good design in creative mode but hard to recreate in real game

Liquidlock, vacuum, Manu cycles/dupes... Can build anything from creative mode without issues.

On 7/1/2018 at 11:40 PM, Carnis said:

Thermo insulation is one thing.

Your design is very nice & compact. Mine is messy.

Your design uses Steam generator, and that takes >300 degree gas and deletes massive heat.

If you want more efficiency, you will need to recapture heat between The whole 76-540 range. I cycle my piped oil back to my reservoir, whenever the boiling process does not need more oil, this way I store heat and cool My output gas without deleting heat.

Heating oil into natural gas creates energy, so we have to bleed some of it off.  As long as the oil is absorbing as much energy as it can, then there's no waste from steaming the rest of it.  Now, achieving that equilibrium in practice is a bit harder.

Yes.

Maybe, If you use a setup of:

540-400

400-250 * Minor heat deletion / Steam turbine

250-76

You can maybe make a system that does not excessively waste heat. But for me heating income oil first, then deleting heat was something that I could make work.

When a low input is needed I setup my heat transfer to a 200s buffer, and I use this 200s to cycle 2nd chamber, lowering heat from 200-300 to between 100-160. Then my water boiler doesnt run, as The gas is cooler than the hot pW.

2 hours ago, Carnis said:

You can maybe make a system that does not excessively waste heat. But for me heating income oil first, then deleting heat was something that I could make work.

But as you say in your post - you don't always have a volcano, so magma efficiency is arguably the only real variable that matters.

Pointless having a 10kg/s throughput if you piss through all your magma in 100 cycles :p 

@AzeTheGreat it is really a great design. I also agree that there is no point recycling more of the heat if the oil is absorbing as much energy as it can, That being said, IF you did not have a volcano you might need to make the design able to use as much of the heat as possible as Lifegrow mentioned it will increase the longevity of the system.

Although, If you can covert 100T of oil into Natural Gas, I don't think it would really matter if the system ran for 10 cycles or 1000 cycles because thats enough natural gas to sit happy forever.

6 minutes ago, Carnis said:

100T gas is only 75T water. I go thru that in 20 cycles.

But there are numerous ways of generating water, there aren't that many ways to efficiently cook oil.

You're using one of the (currently) most finite resources in the game to provide arguably one of the more trivial - being water.

28 minutes ago, Carnis said:

100T gas is only 75T water. I go thru that in 20 cycles.

100T of oil boiled into Natural gas, I also only used the number as an example, but what I was getting as is whether you make a lot quickly or a small amount over time it will still be a hell of a lot of power.

But 100T is 5000 tiles of 20kg Natural Gas. assuming my math hasn't just died. I mean my storage tank alone for Natural Gas is 96 tiles, which means I have enough to run my two gens for roughly 16 cycles non stop. if i had 100T thats still something like 800+ Cycles of non stop power XD

25 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

But there are numerous ways of generating water, there aren't that many ways to efficiently cook oil.

You're using one of the (currently) most finite resources in the game to provide arguably one of the more trivial - being water.

Water is the most finite resource in accept all. Trivial with 5 dupes. Impossible with 500 dupes.

Sandbox game so you set your own challenge.

5 minutes ago, Carnis said:

Water is the most finite resource in accept all. Trivial with 5 dupes. Impossible with 500 dupes.

Sandbox game so you set your own challenge.

I'm not saying you can't, i'm saying you probably shouldn't - in terms of whats more valuable.

Water is incredibly renewable, extreme temperatures not so much. Even with a volcano, if you piss through your outputs inefficiently then you're going to fail.

The game isn't sandbox fyi, that's why a sandbox mode was incorporated ;) Every asteroid is somewhat balanced in terms of biome spawn/poi's etc.

Lets not argue, but what would you suggest as a watersource after 3x coolsteam is used, no water geyser, no slush/pW, but 2 volcanoes & huge free magma.

Ice biome melting?

My pool cools about 0.1degrees per opening.

Theres only oil, which comes from co2 and is abundant.

8 minutes ago, Carnis said:

Lets not argue, but what would you suggest as a watersource after 3x coolsteam is used, no water geyser, no slush/pW, but 2 volcanoes & huge free magma.

Ice biome melting?

Share me your world seed.

18 minutes ago, Carnis said:

Ice biome melting?

How many dupes are you supporting out of curiosity? What are your geysers outputs? Not the mathematical one, just the numbers one.

Hmmm 77 dupes, I know I could support the oxygen and power with my set-up. For me the biggest trouble would be food I think.

Although with 77 dupes I would go for mass hatch and slickster farms. Get as many omelettes on the go as possible. 

Then again it just depends on how good your steam vents are, I am currently only using one. Have not found the other and I am not sure if I am gonna get any others.

Food has Been shrooms.

When smog clears, I got 88 slickster bbq makers coming.

Some seeds can support ovet 100 with O2. Even then slickster meat + infinite gas is ultimate endgame. My seed maybe O2 for 45.

Archived