Potential improvements on oil boiler design?

3 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

One thing I'm curious about is what if you are extremely unlucky and don't get a volcano, or get an extremely bad one.  Can you build something like this with the glass forge as your heat source instead of magma?  Or use the glass forge to supplement your magma boiler?  It comes out hot enough, but it has a bad heat capacity, so it can't boil very much per use of the glass forge.  I would try to build it myself, but I tragically don't have time to play ONI this week.

I reckon you'd need a heck of a lot of glass blowers :p

25kg of glass per hit doesnt seem like a lot of bang for your buck.

3 hours ago, JonnyMonroe said:

You melt regolith with magma. Magma has a heat capacity of 1, regolith 0.2. Regolith turns into magma when it melts. Therefor melting regolith into magma massively increases the available thermal energy.

Edit: link where I was discussing this a few days back;

Ahh, that's pretty clever.  Definitely potential there to go even more efficient, but it'd also add additional complexity that I'm not sure is worth it.  I've already improved it enough that an average volcano should be able to boil more than anyone could need.

15 minutes ago, JonnyMonroe said:

In theory you could but glass forges give a very, very low amount of thermal energy. You could potentially pump the output of a glass forge to a smelter and loop it on itself and effectively use the smelter as your heat source. If you have enough ranching to keep it going then steel is technically in infinite recipe on a smelter.

I actually didn't think of using steel like that.  I had dismissed using the refinery earlier due to the limits on ore.

hnnnnngh was looking elsewhere in alt+z :p This is why we use debug folks...

Spoiler

tum te tum, tinkering with doors, tum te tum... nice and chill

image.thumb.png.5ce7d90ebf3ad41af744048e6be75501.png

Awwwwww WTF!? piss on it ! :D 

image.thumb.png.f7153362087661fcb37d38c70129abff.png

Seems I had a door failure somewhere :p

*Edit, scratch that - just watched it happen again, 25 tons of igneous re-melted into an explosion of magma...

May need to rethink getting this stuff out of the build quickly.

14 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

hnnnnngh was looking elsewhere in alt+z :p This is why we use debug folks...

Hide contents

tum te tum, tinkering with doors, tum te tum... nice and chill

image.thumb.png.5ce7d90ebf3ad41af744048e6be75501.png

Awwwwww WTF!? piss on it ! :D 

image.thumb.png.f7153362087661fcb37d38c70129abff.png

Seems I had a door failure somewhere :p

rofl.

Back to the drawing board.

Edit to your edit:

Did your output line back up? That caused issues once with mine. You have 2 conveyor loaders there, which maxes you out at 40kg/s. Of course, 40kg/s of igneous rock at 1410 Celsius is still far more heat than anyone would ever need.

Archived