Xbox servers are down?

My friends and I who are in the same country a few states away with all of us having open NAT are unable to connect to each other. It says that we have been disconnected and that we are are unable to join. We have tried this with different host, different wifi's (5G vs 2G) and everything under the sun but NONE OF US are able to join and play. I just spent $15 again to get a new copy for the 5 of us can play but now we can't. Maybe the servers are down and the service status is not updated? Please help and/or let me know what is going on.

It is friday (3 days) and I have contacted support with no reply, contacted the reddit with no reply and I have posted in every relevant forum on here with still no reply. I see other posts with replies in 1-2 days and its gotten ridiculous with even a support ticket I still haven't even got a reply. Can I please get help for the love of god?

• Developer

We're not having any server issues that we're aware of. Do you have any other details you can share about your setup that might help us to figure out what's keeping you from playing?

We are all running Xbox one's with 30mbps wifi with about 40mbps when using Ethernet cord (Their average internet speeds), tried turning down or setting like spawn rates and what not but the only thing we can do that makes multiplayer work is to turn off the spawn rate of everything possible and than it lets others join. No other apps are running on our xbox's and on average our households have 3-4 devices connected (Phone, xbox, laptop significant other's phone) and every game runs smoothly except this game.

To clarify my speeds so that is not in question here is my speed test results also my NAT is in fact open:
My internet ping, download and upload speeds.

• Developer

I'm afraid I don't have a good idea what could be causing this problem for you at this time. The console guys are all busy getting the gorge out the door, but if anyone else is experiencing this issue we'd definitely like to hear from you! And @Cantownmayor_ any detail you can give us to help us reproduce the problem on our end would be greatly appreciated.

11 hours ago, nome said:

I'm afraid I don't have a good idea what could be causing this problem for you at this time. The console guys are all busy getting the forge out the door, but if anyone else is experiencing this issue we'd definitely like to hear from you! And @Cantownmayor_ any detail you can give us to help us reproduce the problem on our end would be greatly appreciated.

"We'd definitely like to hear from you"......

That made me laugh.

You guys don't even take the time to fix the issues from the people that have already reached out to you. Getting a reply from a dev that actually has ANY form of resolution to the actual issue is a fantasy. Ya'll are good at getting your redirects on, going mute when the problem gets tricky, and even leaving messages marked as unread for months on end. A quick scroll through xbox bug tracker forum will prove this.

Maybe your paying customers should just be patient and assume you guys know what you're doing when they can't even get a simple reply acknowledging the issues? I'm just saying... do you guys stop functioning after you have "heard from us" because as your paying customers.... WE'D DEFINITELY LIKE OUR ISSUES ADDRESSED.

Maybe on the next update this can be adjusted to say "We'd definitely like you to waste your time describing an issue we will do absolutely nothing about".

Here's the thing. I've spent almost as much time trying to figure out workarounds to this game.... just so I can play this stupid game without it being laggy..... as I have spent actually playing this thing.  Myself and a few others have gone online and searched for information as well as attempted to lay out specifically the issues we're facing. Only to have it completely ignored.

If you guys are not capable of fixing a game that lags so bad it's unplayable for some while also releasing new stuff like the Gorge..... maybe you shouldn't be trying to do both. It would be nice if you would actually focus on the current issues instead of compounding the problem by releasing new stuff as it just comes across as a money grab and a way to pull in more players by offering new content while leaving the lag issue unaddressed. I wonder how many people have complained about the lag on here for this game only to be redirected somewhere else, or were told it's a problem with their network, hardware, or operating system.

@DidUReboot Can you make your own post about this and not flame this thread please? 

@nome The issue seems to be mainly with the spawnings of hostile mobs probably being to large? Reducing the spawn rates significantly has a very rare chance for friends to join but unless turning off the spawning of the majority of hostile mobs it will not let us join or play. I appreciate the updates like The Gorge but this has been an issues I have been having with the game since it's launch on console. We can run the game smoothly on PC though its a bit laggy (We dont have great computers) but on xbox it just falls apart. Again I appreciate your work.

1 hour ago, Cantownmayor_ said:

@DidUReboot Can you make your own post about this and not flame this thread please? 

@nome The issue seems to be mainly with the spawnings of hostile mobs probably being to large? Reducing the spawn rates significantly has a very rare chance for friends to join but unless turning off the spawning of the majority of hostile mobs it will not let us join or play. I appreciate the updates like The Gorge but this has been an issues I have been having with the game since it's launch on console. We can run the game smoothly on PC though its a bit laggy (We dont have great computers) but on xbox it just falls apart. Again I appreciate your work.

Click around first. There’s a few posts already out there created by me. Those have no dev responses so I can either assume they don’t see these posts and need them brought to their attention, or I can assume they’re lazy and cherry pick their responses. It honestly wouldn’t matter if I assumed they were all green ninjas that have been subliminally sending me brain messages on how to fix this problem the entire time, regardless of what I assume or do not assume and have watched already play out on other posts, it’s not going to fix either of our issues.  Like you I’m frustrated with their lack of replies dude. Look at your other post regarding the exact same problem. I didn’t post on that since it wasn’t related based on your description. I too have a friend whom I am trying to play their busted game with and I too am having similar issues as you described here. You’re suppose to comment on similar forums. As I have commented on multiple similar forums and as those multiple similar forums have been ignored, my replies have grown in “heat”. They didn’t start out this way. It isn’t personal but if I have a similar issue I’ll post where I want. I’m sorry but you can’t control that as much as I cannot control what you do.

Having said that, go play forum police with someone else. I paid for this product just like you, and like you I’ve purchased it multiple times. Also like you I expect a working product and not just a “meh close enough” on a publish to production from the devs.

But don’t worry. I’ll sit back and enjoy waiting for this to be resolved, as I’m sure it won’t be.

• Developer
21 hours ago, Cantownmayor_ said:

@Cantownmayor_ could you post any specific worldgen options you are using that don't work vs. ones that do? I'd like to see if I can reproduce the issue, and knowing what doesn't work for you vs. what does might help me. Obviously there's a lot of combinations but any leads you notice might help. And what specifically happens when it won't let you play? Is the host affected in any way? Does it give you specific error messages when it fails to join? How many players (+ split screen?) players are playing with and is it all or none that are affected? Thanks!

@justinliew What we have tested so far. and the error we receive is "Disconnected: You have been disconnected. We're not sure why... Sorry!"

World testing (World size will be the same setting as cave size and the over world settings were applied to the cave as well):

World size Small (Default/no world changes) | Not Working

World Size Medium (Default) | Not Working

World Size Large (Default) | Not working

World Small + No forest monsters | Not Working

World Small + No animals / creatures | Not Working

World Small  + No Creatures or Resources | Not Working

World Small with every possible setting turned off | Not working

New Developments: 

Multiplayer No Longer works no matter the changes

When trying to join the player joining will receive "Disconnected: You have been disconnected We're not sure why... Sorry!" and remain at the title screen HOWEVER when the world is closed by the host they will receive the error code again even though they are not in the same world

Side Not: This testing of spawn rates is new vs the original one we did. All the spawn rates were tested individually and no noticeable lag was seen in game as the host. Each setting for spawn rates was tested individually by me and one other friend and were put into categories since they all had the same result. We are unable to test with all friends and players as one friend refunded the game, another 2 friends are in the military and does not have the time to test this with us. So the test was done with 2 people each trying to host.

Its ok, I hope you feel better! Thank you for helping! I have tested it again with another friend and the only time we could get the game to co-operate between us was setting the world and caves to small with the reduction of all mobs to minimal or off.

• Developer

Just to check, did you ever see this message?

"Connection Failed - Something went awry while connecting. Please try again."

I'm having trouble reproducing your error even with the minimum network requirements, but am able to repro the one above occasionally. This one above has nothing to do with world size, game density, save file size, network quality, which leads me to believe it's not related to your issue, but just wanted to double check before ruling it out for you.

6 hours ago, justinliew said:

Just to check, did you ever see this message?

"Connection Failed - Something went awry while connecting. Please try again."

I'm having trouble reproducing your error even with the minimum network requirements, but am able to repro the one above occasionally. This one above has nothing to do with world size, game density, save file size, network quality, which leads me to believe it's not related to your issue, but just wanted to double check before ruling it out for you.

The majority of the time I tested this I did receive the "Disconnected" error though after awhile I stopped reading it so it might be the issue we are having? It seems I'm the only one with no issues connecting to open servers. My other friends receive an error but I will have to wait until they got off work to ask them what the error said. If they are sharing their game via Xbox Home method could that be the issue?

• Developer
16 hours ago, Cantownmayor_ said:

The majority of the time I tested this I did receive the "Disconnected" error though after awhile I stopped reading it so it might be the issue we are having? It seems I'm the only one with no issues connecting to open servers. My other friends receive an error but I will have to wait until they got off work to ask them what the error said. If they are sharing their game via Xbox Home method could that be the issue?

Hmm, in theory 2 people can Game Share and still play with each other. For each of you, can you list:

- do you own the game, or are you game sharing, and with whom? (don't need names, but maybe User1, User2, User3, etc)

- can you connect to an open server?

- if not, what error message are you receiving?

That'll help us narrow it down. I'm not super familiar with the rules for game sharing but will look into it. I'm pretty sure there aren't restrictions around playing with someone who has a shared copy, but the above info might help us figure something out for this specific situation.

Me: Owns it (Game sharing with user1)

User1: Game Sharing with me

User2: Owns it, is game sharing but other user does not play the game

User3: Owns it, not game sharing

TESTS 

User1: Able to join some public servers | Error received is the "Disconnected" error when joining my world or me joining theirs 

User2: Everything is working fine today | No errors can join lobby 

User3: Can join a few open lobbies rarely | Can't join my lobby due to "Discconected" error and "Connection Failed - Something went awry while connecting. Please try again." (Random at which one occurs)

Me: Can Join almost any public lobby | Can't join user1 and user2. Error received is the "Disconnected" error.

• Developer

Hmm, I can't see any obvious pattern. It feels like some inconsistent network issues at play. Is there any chance you could try running a wired connection and see if that helps? At this point I'm unable to reproduce locally, even with Microsoft's tools set to their minimum network requirement, so unless we can discern some kind of pattern, I'm running out of ideas.

Also, we will be running The Gorge event soon, which will be running on our own servers. I'm curious what your experience will be on those since they'll be running on our servers. Hopefully you'll get a chance to try this!

The router is in a place where I can not hook it up to my console for a wired connection. Even if we cant play as a big group I would like to be able to play with User1 atleast though it seems no matter the method they are unable to connect to me even though both of our NAT's are open. Is there a way to get a more detailed error message? I've been hoping to play The Gorge on console so hopefully it works! 

• Developer
5 hours ago, Cantownmayor_ said:

The router is in a place where I can not hook it up to my console for a wired connection. Even if we cant play as a big group I would like to be able to play with User1 atleast though it seems no matter the method they are unable to connect to me even though both of our NAT's are open. Is there a way to get a more detailed error message? I've been hoping to play The Gorge on console so hopefully it works! 

Have you tried any other multiplayer titles with User1? If so, do you know if they're using dedicated servers or peer to peer (Xbox to Xbox) and do you have any issues with them?

I've contacted Microsoft to see if there's anything more we can do to troubleshoot.

Worst case once The Gorge releases we can give that a try and see, as it should perform better since it's running on our servers.

Archived