Exploits ruin the game, they need to go

On 6/21/2018 at 6:41 AM, lurkinglurker said:

What a glorious example of shifting goalposts. What has (de)compilers into modern programming languages in modern OSs with modern utterly-godlike-in-comparison PC hardware have to do with those antique first-generation arcade boards at the time when they first came out and the programming tools used to code those?

Also, pretty much nobody besides malware-analysts uses decompilers, because it is just too hard. Code-optimization, on the other hand, is done pretty much the same as it was done back then, except that the level it is done on has shifted up a bit. Optimizing assembler code is rare these days. But optimizing C-code while understanding what the assembler-code will look like and how the hardware works is not. Also, algorithmic optimization has stayed pretty much the same. 

Thread is TL;DR. But TS, I so much agree with you. I like Sci-fi a lot: well thought-out and logical Sci-fi gives so much joy. And I also like Fantasy (to a lesser extent though) with magic and stuff. And quirks in ONI make it fall into an in-between space: it becomes less of a Sci-fi and still it's not Fantasy. That's why they kill joy for me.
However it's very hard to go without quirks at all - the game still has to have decent performance and fun gameplay. Can't build ideal game without ideal tools:)

Archived