Cosmic Suggestions

I've a decent amount of suggestions just from toying around on cosmic. Most are related to ranching or the surface, as you'd expect.

• I want a light sensor. Automation like all the other sensors, if the light is above X or below X then it will be on/off. This would actually be useful, since there's solar panels now (which run and generate a ton of heat, even if there's no light out)
  • Which leads me to the next point - shouldn't a solar panel's heat generation be based on how much light it's actually taking in? I don't understand why a solar panel I put underground generates 45W of heat when there's no light hitting it.
  • Meteor storms are pretty often. When I was experimenting, It made me seriously consider if solar panels on the surface are really worth it, or if I should just put up bunker tiles and call it a day.
  • Can incubators get a 'copy settings' like planters have?
  • Egg hatching is atrocious now. It was bad before, but it COULD be automated with a good deal of work. Now I don't think it's even possible. I'm pretty sure I have to do something myself once per egg hatching cycle. Allow me to elaborate.
    • Eggs can hatch in one of two places. On the ground or in an incubator. On the ground is fine, but not if you're running a farm. Realistically, you either have 8 critters in your room (in which case, eggs can't stay because the room gets overcapacity) or you have 4 critters and 4 eggs, in which case eggs can stay IF you can get them out of range of your dupes/sweepers, which means they need moved.
    • Eggs cannot be placed on the floor without player interaction. Players have to destroy or change settings on something holding the eggs to drop them to the ground.
    • Incubators can work with automation or dupe effort, but when the critter is done hatching the player must release the baby critter [Turns out once they become an adult they leave on their own], and they must reset the incubator.
    • My suggested change (if you want critter farming to be extremely difficult and painstaking): allow incubators to be set like farming tiles (when something is done, ask for another, like a farming tile does with seeds - do the same with eggs. If you're concerned that players won't want that, maybe make it a checkbox?).
    • My suggested change (if you don't want critter farming to be painstaking): Make the suggested to change incubators anyways (as it's irritating), and 1x1 item called a nest. Eggs can get placed in it and will hatch at their normal speed. While not as easy as a container working again, it still is easy enough to make a farm with those.
    • Worth noting: the above isn't really an issue for critters that can be wrangled, as all you do is set the room to have a certain count, let the eggs fall into a room below yours (automated clearing system with doors), and if you need them your dupes will wrangle and release. The problem is not all critters can be wrangled, and it's those ones that farming because a painstaking process for.
  • When the meteors start falling, I end up with Neutronium.I can't do anything with it. It can't be stored, used, etc. etc. - At the very least can we be given a way to get rid of it?
  • Can Regolith have some kind of terrible conversion ratio to sand (or flatout be a sand substitute in some cases, where more of it is required?)
  • The meteor shower scanner should have a tooltip that says it gets disrupted by other tech within 13 tiles, rather than just saying 'nearby'.
  • Now that doors have different open times based on power, can they have tooltips updated with how long it takes to open/close while powered/not powered?
  • Hatches should be able to eat Regolith (logically speaking), though I understand that may be a bit too much.
  • I've never seen a want or need for fancier shine bugs than regular, as decor has never been an issue with metal tiles and paintings etc. - Could the others produce more light? This would help if you wanted to use them for solar panels.
  • Related to the above: fun fact - shine bugs work for solar panels. it takes about 28 to fully power one. I'm hoping that's intended, because it's hilarious (and totally probably not worth it).

• Light sensor is probably already in development I AM FEELING IT!!!:)))
  • Solar pannels generating heat without light is probably a bug
  • Meteor storms and all this stuff is undergoing balance changes. I don't want them to make solar pannels easy to set up though, so they need to be really carefull about this not to make it too easy when it's not necessarily. I hope you thought out your planning well, tried it and failed before making this post or otherwise you may just turn solar pannels towards casuality route.
  • I think they have something planned for regolith. It's a new material and it will get implemented into other systems. I think we should not worry about that. I wish they add some new cirtter or plant that eat that. Or some other fancy stuff to do with it. After all developers is a great team with potentially much better ideas than me.
  • Ye, shine bugs potential is still to be discovered : )
  • I love it that shine bugs power solar pannels! 

The regolith you've mentioned just reminded me of something.

He3 - helium 3, a helium isotope, mostly common in regolith, could be used to generate energy. Either way I think we'll get helium soon. This would make sense in my mind since clearing debris off the blastdoors could be used for further energy generation because solar is quite underpowered in comparison to the power demand of the bunkerdoors 

5 hours ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

The regolith you've mentioned just reminded me of something.

He3 - helium 3, a helium isotope, mostly common in regolith, could be used to generate energy. Either way I think we'll get helium soon. This would make sense in my mind since clearing debris off the blastdoors could be used for further energy generation because solar is quite underpowered in comparison to the power demand of the bunkerdoors 

Regolith have also good fertilization properties if i remenber

21 hours ago, Fenixix said:

"I don't want them to make solar pannels easy to set up though, so they need to be really carefull about this not to make it too easy when it's not necessarily. I hope you thought out your planning well, tried it and failed before making this post or otherwise you may just turn solar pannels towards casuality route."

I agree. The thing is, I'm not concerned about how hard they are to set up infrastructure, cooling, or automation (blast doors) wise. I'm concerned about their actual viability as a power source. As it stands, meteor storms are too common, in that even with max blast shield viability, I can't justify being able to gather solar power 30% of the time. (30% may be low, say 50%). I'd need to cover the entire width of the map for that to be a decent amount of energy, and quite frankly that seems a little insane since I already don't have power issues. If I'm going to go through all this effort for power, I'd just kind of like it to be used slightly more. If meteor storms even just didn't last as long, it would have a good effect on it. Still requires the same setup, but the power generation per cycle would be in general higher.

Archived