How to pipe without huge temp loss

5 hours ago, BlueLance said:

All pipes like to transfer temperature with their surroundings

6 hours ago, BlueLance said:

I tested this by building pipes and dumping hot oil on them

Please be more specific, how you tested it. (I know enough cases where (normal) abysalite pipes are 100% insulated).

(How much liquid and which temperature)

Just some small additions:

- You can heat up insulated abysalite pipes ! (By piping through metal tiles or while pumping magma^^)

- Never run non-insulated pipes through anything except air if you want to minimize the heat transfer.

(Buildings multiply their conductivity in the heat transfer formula)

6 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

Please be more specific, how you tested it. (I know enough cases where (normal) abysalite pipes are 100% insulated).

(How much liquid and which temperature)

- Never run non-insulated pipes through anything except air if you want to minimize the heat transfer.

For the liquid I used 800kg of Oil at 500K.

This instantly began heating the pipes up to 500k except for the insulated abyssalite pipes.

I ran 30 segments of pipe through oil and all tests used the same amount of piping, using hydrogen at 100 or 150K (I am not at my home computer so I do not remember which one)

All tests with the pipes in a vacuum showed that all pipes (Except Insulated abyssalite) tried to become the same temperature as their contents.

This also confirms that piping through a vacuum gives the least amount of energy lost until the pipes become the temperature of the contents where there should be no energy loss. The more dense the material outside the pipe becomes the more it will affect the pipes contents.

I ran another test with a smaller portion of oil (10kg) at 500k and the oil began to cool, whilst the temperature of the hydrogen in the pipes began to rise.

I think if the pipes went through a tile which is immune to temperatures such as an abyssalite tile then this might stop the pipe changing temperature, but I never checked for this.

Finally, it was maybe water from a sieve, which stores 5Kg of water inside of it. Water's temperature got down inside the sieve while not being used. Not 100% sure, but it might just be this. But I do have notice abyssalite pipes exchange heat with the surronding : my base temperature jump from 22 to 26 in few cycles after using 343Kelvin from a geyser I had not used for a while. It's easy to see the temps exchange if you put your abyssalite pipes in something like 1000mg of gaz and with the test you made it's quite obvious result.

39 minutes ago, leoroy said:

Finally, it was maybe water from a sieve, which stores 5Kg of water inside of it. Water's temperature got down inside the sieve while not being used. Not 100% sure, but it might just be this

Had the same with my refinery and solved it with some automation behind my building (in-pipe sensor to detect an overflow some pipe segements away, so my building always sends everyhing out right away)

39 minutes ago, leoroy said:

It's easy to see the temps exchange if you put your abyssalite pipes in something like 1000mg of gaz and with the test you made it's quite obvious result.

I made 2 test chambers: 100mg of 1300K oxygen inside one tile with one debug build a) an abysalite liquid pipe segment or b) an abysalite gas pipe segment (Buildings at 293,15K)

=> even after 10 cycles no heat energy was exchanged

But if i run my test with 100mg of hydrogen at 5000k there is some heat traveling inside the abysalite

(If you run abysalite pipes inside a normal base (oxygen and liveable temperature) geyser water doesn´t heat up your base at all, but you need to avoid any buildings or bodies of fluid or you will heat up your base quite significantly)

Ok i did some more testing and even 100mg oxygen at 3000k don´t heat up abysalite pipes (gas and liquid), but 100mg hydrogen at 400K (vs 293,15K pipes) do exchange heat

Archived