[suggestion] caves and mines

hello again, this time i bring you

"Caves of Darkness"

✂---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

READ THIS:

people have probably suggested this many times before me,but this is my version,so there might be a few differences.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as we all know, stone is renewable,but it takes a long time for them to "regrow".

if you've played noth's minicraft game you've probably seen the stairs leading down into caves and such,if not let me explain.

caves can be found troughout the map,but they are sealed with planks as if somebody had mined there before you and closed the mine because of unknown reasons... the caves can be opened with the hammer, once you're inside you really want to bring up a torch or a mininghelm,if not you'll go insane and the nightmonster will kill you.

the caves are filled with stone,some stones are different in appearance and contain a few goodies. be beware of the rock golems, they're like wood guardians,they will spawn when you've mined enough stoneblocks,but instead of popping out when you mine, they act like traps waiting for a player to activate them...

but wait, theres more!

the caves sometimes contain 1-2 birdcages alongside with random pickaxes(with low durability) and spidernests!

Edited by mr.Hazard

Hello. Before making a suggestion, please refer to this thread.

The developers are not keen on working on this at the moment. For a good reason. It is hard to integrate what is essentially a 3D aspect into a 2.5D game. The cave has a roof and walls and our current world doesn't. See the problem? Not to say it might not happen on day just- dont hold your horses just yet on this.

ah,sorry my bad, anyway, even if its a 2,5D game, its still possible to make it like notch did it with minicaftminicraft was like dont starve,but it didnt have the starvation,sanity and nightmonster stuff, instead it was all about gathering some supplies and finding the boss,but you could explore caves(many layers of caves) and make some basic stuff like furnaces,a craftingbench and some lanterns.caves in dont starve shouldnt be hard,just use the current world design, change the ocean into a lavalake,add a lot of rocks, add some signs of mining activity(like birdcages and pickaxes),new enemies and a few more misc terrainfeatures.anyway,im not a dev,so i dont really know if its really hard to implement or not.

ah,sorry my bad, anyway, even if its a 2,5D game, its still possible to make it like notch did it with minicaftminicraft was like dont starve,but it didnt have the starvation,sanity and nightmonster stuff, instead it was all about gathering some supplies and finding the boss,but you could explore caves(many layers of caves) and make some basic stuff like furnaces,a craftingbench and some lanterns.caves in dont starve shouldnt be hard,just use the current world design, change the ocean into a lavalake,add a lot of rocks, add some signs of mining activity(like birdcages and pickaxes),new enemies and a few more misc terrainfeatures.anyway,im not a dev,so i dont really know if its really hard to implement or not.

Well, the best they could probably do would be a hole in the ground similar to a worm hole, but make it look like the opening to a cave.

Hmm I like this idea, I think the best way around the cave thing would probably generating a new cave-like map once the entrance is clicked rather than going 3D but I like your unique ideas on how the inside of caves should look, e.g. the Cave Golem, and bird cages and maybe the randomly scattered almost broken pickaxes are good ideas and I can imagine them! Of course this would only apply if caves were going to be added.

people have probably suggested this many times before me,but this is my version,so there might be a few differences.

It has, but no worries, the Devs and I would still like to hear your ideas. :)

as we all know, stone is renewable,but it takes a long time for them to "regrow".

Yes. This has always been a concern for players.

if you've played noth's minicraft game you've probably seen the stairs leading down into caves and such,if not let me explain.

Notch made a wonderful game, and yes, I do play Minecraft. ;)

caves can be found troughout the map,but they are sealed with planks as if somebody had mined there before you and closed the mine because of unknown reasons... the caves can be opened with the hammer, once you're inside you really want to bring up a torch or a mininghelm,if not you'll go insane and the nightmonster will kill you.

As Aoredon pointed out creating caves is a messy business, in particular because we have no mountains or hills to place a mine or cave entrance into. That being said however, this topic has been discussed at length and there were more suggestions meant to resolve this matter. In particular, we focused on the caves being underground caverns (biome) and rather than a cave/mine entrance I suggested a crevice in the ground (i.e. a large hole) that players would need to select with rope in order to "climb down". Of course there wouldn't actually be any climbing, as the game lacks elevation (3D terrain), rather it would be a simple map transition, similar to loading a new dungeon level. Whenever you returned to the surface it would re-load the island map and vice-versa.

the caves are filled with stone,some stones are different in appearance and contain a few goodies. be beware of the rock golems, they're like wood guardians,they will spawn when you've mined enough stoneblocks,but instead of popping out when you mine, they act like traps waiting for a player to activate them...

Yes, one of the primary reasons or the underground biome was as a place where players could locate more boulders, and hence, more stone and flint, but there was more to it than just that. In past suggestions for underground caverns the following ideas were made: new minerals (i.e. iron ore), new fuels (i.e. coal), gemstones (i.e. diamond, ruby), crystals (i.e. quartz), mushrooms (various effects when eaten, some good others bad, but the effects would be randomized with every new game to prevent "knowing" which mushroom does what), and blind albino cave dish (in pools).Not to mention when this idea was first suggested we wanted to remove stone bridges that connected the "islands" in the game (i.e. circles of land) and using crevices on different islands would allow the undergroudn to connect them. Now of course we have wormholes for that function, but I still think it would be a good idea should the Devs include multiple islands again.As for stone golems... that's a bit too obvious for me. I would prefer more original creatures, maybe ones based off of giant worms or whatnot.

Hmmm? That thread? I remember it... but that's not official. I have asked the Devs to verify it, but they haven't done so yet... and thatw as some time ago. I would just state that adding a new type of biome, like caverns with walls everywhere, would be very different from the way the game currently works. As such, I could see it being a lot of work and the Devs might not have the time for it. Still, it doesn't hurt to talk about it.

caves in dont starve shouldnt be hard,just use the current world design, change the ocean into a lavalake,add a lot of rocks, add some signs of mining activity(like birdcages and pickaxes),new enemies and a few more misc terrainfeatures.

Well that's if it's a mine, then yes. I'm not sure I would want to locate a pre-existing mine on the island however, as that would indicate someone was here before me. And so far there hasn't been any indications of that in the game yet. Of course I'm not saying I would be completely against the idea, just that I prefer the caves to be natural.

Hmm I like this idea, I think the best way around the cave thing would probably generating a new cave-like map once the entrance is clicked rather than going 3D

Exactly.

I was thinking underground lair it seems more fitting to the game anyway. That way all you have to do id give the landscape a darker feel to it.

I personally would want cavern walls, which is the tricky part as people have argued it would block the camera's line of sight whenever the player got too close to the bottom-most wall, ect. Personally I countered by saying any wall the player approaches should just become transparent.As for darkness... yes, the caverns would be pitch black 24/7, except for the cavern chamber with the crevice as sunlight would illuminate it (well, until nightfall). This would give players a chance to ready light sources and whatnot before venturing into the darkness of the caverns beyond.Still, we all have suggestions and we'll have to see which ones the Devs prefer.