Are there any interesting uses for broken clockworks (allied chess pieces)?

Are there any ways to make broken clockworks useful beyond:

• Spicing up the scenery, since ruins are pretty barren otherwise.
  • Hammering for loot.
  • Ally as many clockworks as you need/can afford, and storm some boss. 

I was experimenting with the allied monsters, and now consider them nigh useless:

• You die? No longer allied.
  • You leave and re-join the server? No longer allied.
  • You leave caves? No longer allied. And they don't follow you to the surface.
  • You roll back? No longer allied.

So I thought "OK, what can I do with hostile clockworks"? After all, a bishop is basically a cheaper, mobile Houndius Shootius, and a set of them would make a decent bunny puff farm. Turns out that NOPE, when they turn hostile, they prioritise returning to spawn location (ie. where you repaired them), and won't attack unless attacked first (ie. they're neutral).

The best I can see, given the above constraints:

1. Build a bunny farm in an area with lots of clockworks around.
  2. Plant trees/marble bushes around a rook, then use it as an in-cave bearger.

But these are hardly different from just using regular, worldgen-spawned clockworks.

Any better ideas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNrIkSFQRwk&ab_channel=DonGianiGuides

In this video (5:10) dude explain how to relocate correctly bishops for the use you intend to make of them.

On 4/28/2018 at 3:55 PM, myxal said:

So I thought "OK, what can I do with hostile clockworks"? After all, a bishop is basically a cheaper, mobile Houndius Shootius, and a set of them would make a decent bunny puff farm. Turns out that NOPE, when they turn hostile, they prioritise returning to spawn location (ie. where you repaired them), and won't attack unless attacked first (ie. they're neutral).

6 hours ago, csc_unit said:

In this video (5:10) dude explain how to relocate correctly bishops for the use you intend to make of them.

In that he explains that you cannot relocate bishops ever, under any circumstances. Broken clockworks don't seem to be any exception. A horrid waste of valuable gears to repair them IMO.

4 hours ago, kertinker said:

A horrid waste of valuable gears to repair them IMO.

Well, one's waste is another one's opulence... :wilson_smile: I have an old worldgen map (pre-antlion, ie. both deserts have tumbleweed spawners) which supplies all the gears I need.

@csc_unit - Thanks, I actually saw that video some time ago but didn't pay close attention as it was done with a regular bishop, on the surface, with a telestaff. Didn't know about the server restart trick - will try it tonight. :wilson_goodjob: 

The server restart trick totally works (no need to leave the shard, IMHO, though I will point out I'm trying this on a dedicated server, so I can make the pieces hostile just by disconnecting). Must work out some kinks (number of bishops, outer enclosure size), as the farm is about as "safe" as your typical tentacle farm, and is pretty much impossible to rebuild after the pieces turn hostile.

Prototype:
5ae7485f471d5_ScreenShot2018-04-30at18_15.56copy.thumb.png.1fdce0aadb9ad24efc04bbb715bd4f5b.png

The # of bishops here (10 I think) was complete overkill. 4-6 should be plenty. Assuming RNG doesn't turn against me and I can find enough type 3 piles, 4-6 bishops are going to cost about 14-21 gears. Not bad at all, I might actually build 2 such farms.

Prototype 2:
5ae76eae6817d_ScreenShot2018-04-30at21_16_43.thumb.png.afefa3faab7a5f38d111a559b47e0294.png5ae76ea7b1b8f_ScreenShot2018-04-30at21_19_37.thumb.png.43b04a55c57c18009bf0299ee97bf5ce.png

Hmm.. Better, definitely less scary with distance to bishops + road, though when all the bunnies respawn simultaneously, they'll keep running out of range, avoiding death... Will have to get some cave-in boulders to get them stuck :D 

On 4/28/2018 at 9:55 PM, myxal said:

Plant trees/marble bushes around a rook, then use it as an in-cave bearger.

Farewell, friend; We shall meet again, but not as friends anymore... :wilson_cry:
5b262b2a1c8c3_ScreenShot2018-06-16at20_07_02.thumb.png.fcacf4386499f2a74a28046647c4903d.png

Good to see you're doing fine. I'll see you again in 13 days. (wait, will that be during winter? I did not think this through... :oops:)
5b262dbda569d_ScreenShot2018-06-16at20_32_12.thumb.png.a0052d3c820ae3484b1d76bfbc528378.png

Archived