shinebug extinction?

In my newest map seed shinebugs went quickly  extinct. I don't know the mechanism completely - I think only 2 spawned to begin with, and I saw a couple nymphs early on but now they are all missing.

I don't believe they drowned

I didn't cook any omelettes until I had plenty of hatch eggs (but maybe they cooked off a wild nymph egg by chance?)

Maybe I let some polluted O2 into the wrong space and some eggs spoiled?

I'm not entirely certain and it doesn't seem like a "bug" just a very punishing aspect of game design.

(do shinebugs have utility other than light in this new version?)

1 hour ago, avc15 said:

(do shinebugs have utility other than light in this new version?)

Some of them have some pretty ridiculous Decor outputs.  And in general they seem to be the most time efficient for producing Eggs once you get Berry production up enough.

Its pretty easy to set up a berry farm before cycle 3 now that the berries are more tolerant.  Just research the farm tech and set the farm up where they roam.  They eat very little so they won't take away much from the berries on the ground.

5 hours ago, avc15 said:

In my newest map seed shinebugs went quickly  extinct. I don't know the mechanism completely - I think only 2 spawned to begin with, and I saw a couple nymphs early on but now they are all missing.

I don't believe they drowned

Check your Light tab, they like to be stuck behind walls, and if they are they cannot lay an egg and will still age.

Archived