Animals Should Have More Survivability In The Wild

I can't tell you how many times I somehow accidentally killed a puft or hatch by accident. Sometimes I don't even know what happened, the puft I knew was in a certain area just isn't there anymore. So I'd like to propose there is no way they can die unless they are directly attacked.

Pufts in particular can even be buried in building blocks without us even knowing.They should be a little more elusive than that.

3 hours ago, strawberrygirl said:

So I'd like to propose there is no way they can die unless they are directly attacked.

Oh please not. This game is still much to casual/easy now. Complications for new players come from missing documentation / bugs, but the game is not hard.
For now you can respawn critters in debug, when you failed, taking care of them. ^^
You can breed fresh ones. Bodytemp/Liquid..

2 hours ago, Oozinator said:

Oh please not. This game is still much to casual/easy now. Complications for new players come from missing documentation / bugs, but the game is not hard.
For now you can respawn critters in debug, when you failed, taking care of them. ^^
You can breed fresh ones. Bodytemp/Liquid..

What is the point of them dying or getting entombed (invisible) if you had no part in doing so? It's not really game play at all. There is no strat around it/them other than don't build near or around them at all.

Just now, strawberrygirl said:

What is the point of them dying or getting entombed (invisible) if you had no part in doing so? It's not really game play at all. There is no strat around it/them other than don't build near or around them at all.

In real life humans are not able to protect animals well, even when they do it with soldiers.

For me it's superrealistic, how ONI is handling that, but you are right, the direct influence is missing, caused by dupes.
Perhaps dupes DNA is based on virus too, like humans and critters are smart enough, to know what is coming, when player spawns in..
Who knows, perhaps Klei programmed a superrealistic AI.
One Critter in ONI is enough to breed more..

They should at least go away from tiles under construction. A wild animal does not stay still while he is getting entombed in the middle of a construction site.

I wish they would somewhat come in small herds and be able to reproduce in the wild, at a very slow rate and never exceeding a certain population level. There is nothing sadder than finding a lonely critter alone in a remote dark corner of the asteroid. Poor thing. :( 

14 hours ago, Oozinator said:

Critters committing suicide out of their own stupidity is not proper difficulty. Same for critters being generated in an environment that will kill them in seconds.

It's just RNG being RNG. And sometimes obscure, unintuitive logic - like when hatches jump through stuff or pufts manage to drown themselves in 10g puddles stacked on each other.

There is no real player skill involved in preventing those suicides.

Archived