One of these days I'll make it to winter...

Day 18 and the birch trees were losing their leaves. I was hungry, but a little prepared. Three farms, three dragon fruits ready to pick. Bird in a birdcage. I knew where there were pigs, and spiders. About all I was missing was beefalo wool, and rocks for a thermal stone. So I headed to beefalo territory... and forgot my pick, go figure. Nevertheless, I shaved about a dozen beefalo, and then since I wanted that sweet beefalo horn, decided to do something stupid. My reflexes are so terrible, the beefalo hit me like three times before I managed to remember how to "run to the left," but I had a log suit so I didn't die. Outran them all, but one wouldn't stop chasing me, oh no! Wait a sec, that's exactly what I wanted. Hooray!

Turns out individual beefalo are really easy to kite. Sadly, I had to murder two of my beloved meat shields, before I got the horn, but I got it, and tons of beefalo wool from shaving EVERY ONE OF THEM. In addition to that bounty, the day before the night where I made every beefalo a sad beefalo, I harvested nothing but grass from the grasslands. I had like four stacks. But on the way back to base, I realized two of those stacks were in my backpack... and I still had my log suit on. No problem, says I! I'll just go back and find my backpack again, on my way out to get some rocks tomorrow, for a thermal stone! I had about 8 meats from the beefalo, and 1 morsel from a rabbit in which I showed those fools back at the institution, who claimed you couldn't chase down a rabbit. They laughed at my ideas! Laughed! Well this morsel and about half a day of chasing the damn thing proved them all wrong!

Oddly I hadn't found a single clockwork. But... I'll worry about spoilage after I fix the problem of freezing to death. In fact, with these two stacks of grass I did have, I went and converted the whole batch into rope and combined them with my little arson project a few days past, to make eight drying racks. So even if the meat began to spoil, whoops it's fresh dried meat instead!

Unfortunately, with

• the day of hunting beefalo,
  • walking the ridiculous distance everything always is from everything else in any world I generate, 
  • not being Winona when constructing all those drying racks,

the evening was getting late. But that's okay it's—wait, do I hear hounds?

That's okay, says I! I can return to my lost backpack, where the beefalo will destroy any hounds that I can't annihilate with my 50% log suit and 8% spear! Brilliant plan! Sure it was an interminable distance from the pig king to the beefalo (and from the beefalo to the swamp, and from the swamp to the rocky biome... this worldgen was terrible) but I'm not afraid to run at night with only a torch, and I'd made the trip enough to know I had a clear shot all the way to the beefalo, where the hounds couldn't catch me if I didn't stop running.

So... a quarter of the way there, night fell on day 19, whereupon it occurred to me that my torch was in my backpack, I used all my grass on drying racks, and the hounds were coming.

And THIS is precisely why I always, _always_ save some grass.

Seriously I just assume I'll get caught out in the middle of nowhere, since I often DO, so...

That said, being caught out by hounds/leaving important items in my backpack _that is now three biomes away_ is one of my main causes of death, too.  :\

...Notorious

On 4/6/2018 at 12:35 AM, CaptainChaotica said:

And THIS is precisely why I always, _always_ save some grass.

It's good advice! Advice which I already knew. And one thing I specifically intended to do. Basically, I have no excuse. :D

The funniest thing is I had exactly enough grass for 8 drying racks. It must've been a stack of 40, then a stack of 32. If I'd collected just two more grass tufts, I'd have had enough still in my inventory to craft a torch.

Yikes.  I know that feeling of dying because you can't craft a torch.  The most frustrating death of them all.

I also remember not being able to make it to Winter and not being able to survive it.  It was such a long time ago...

Archived