How Do You Move Pufts?

How do you Wrangle Pufts? I was expecting Wranglers to do it with the help of a Lure, but they are limited to only getting ground based critters and the Traps don't currently work because they are step triggered. The reason I want to move them is that I built a Puft Slime Factory.

20180325185757_1.thumb.jpg.9a4c57fcdece96aa2ca51fa47970636e.jpg

As you can see the design is pretty simple. Get Pufts in 2x2 tile pens and when they release Slime it falls to the bottom to be automatically picked up and placed into Storage. To create PO all I did was make a floor covered in PW and fill Storage with material the releases PO. The Morb that's in there was just placed in it, so he did no work to get the room filled with 2000Kg per tile of PO. I'm expecting the Pufts to go crazy pooping out Slime. If it works as expected I'll update it with a conveyor system to deliver it to an Ore Scrubber.

Just a few things to think of when making a puft farm

First, the slime they drop is small and will evaporate into PO quickly so best to get it into an environment with ether +1800g air pressure or under water (they will evaporate while inside containers)  

second, morbs only produce 200g/s PO and it takes about 2 to support 1 puft, if you are depending on the PO emitting from the PW you don't have enough

third, I would set up a stable to tame pufts first, they will produce slime more often

fourth, If you are planing to use the slime for an algae distiller it will take 24 pufts to run one distiller

As for your question on how to move them use critter lures, you will have to construct 2 at a time and "leap frog" your way to the farm you wish to place them  

2 hours ago, Darkpony said:

Build a room around one then just hatch the eggs it produces where you need the pufts.

I've tried that. Eggs seem to produce rot piles if incubated in a room with polluted oxygen. Which is kind of stupid as it is Puft's preferred atmosphere...

15 hours ago, Neotuck said:

fourth, If you are planning to use the slime for an algae distiller it will take 24 pufts to run one distiller

:shock:  There goes my late-game plan! Damn, I've had like 4 pufts holed up in caves for ages thinking "oh-ho, when I get autosweepers my algae will never run out!". That'll take an age of ranching!

On the plus side, those pufts have been pooping for like 200 cycles, so there should be tons of slime in those caves now. Right. Right?

8 minutes ago, Jigsawn said:

:shock:  There goes my late-game plan! Damn, I've had like 4 pufts holed up in caves for ages thinking "oh-ho, when I get autosweepers my algae will never run out!". That'll take an age of ranching!

On the plus side, those pufts have been pooping for like 200 cycles, so there should be tons of slime in those caves now. Right. Right?

Nope, with conversion rate at 2 PO to 1 slime and they evaporate fast I doubt you'll find any

I didn't realise that their slime evaporates completely so it's quite possible that they're just in a loop of poop (badum tish!) and there isn't as much as I was hoping.

But then again I have slime tiles in those caves, so maybe that's helping to support a healthy non poop loop.

When I make a band, it's gonna be called poop loop. 

22 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

I'm not sure but I don't think wild critters eat anymore.  Ether that or I just never seen them eat

they eat, but very slow. at least hatches I saw eating.

There is a recent post, in which R9MX4 posted the calories they can store and burn while being wild.

20 hours ago, Neotuck said:

fourth, If you are planing to use the slime for an algae distiller it will take 24 pufts to run one distiller

I plan to use Pufts to maintain my Mushroom crops. It shouldn't take more than 6-8 Pufts for 40-50 Mushrooms.

10 minutes ago, vonVile said:

I plan to use Pufts to maintain my Mushroom crops. It shouldn't take more than 6-8 Pufts for 40-50 Mushrooms.

4 pufts in a single stable room (96 tiles) kept happy should provide enough slime for 60 mushrooms or more.  Try to also get 8 morbs in there to keep em fed

here's a picture of mine you can use as an example20180326193849_1.thumb.jpg.208ae47608bf5e9e8c913df37b73ae79.jpg

5 hours ago, Neotuck said:

4 pufts in a single stable room (96 tiles) kept happy should provide enough slime for 60 mushrooms or more.  Try to also get 8 morbs in there to keep em fed

here's a picture of mine you can use as an example20180326193849_1.thumb.jpg.208ae47608bf5e9e8c913df37b73ae79.jpg

Improvement suggestion -- keep the Conveyor Rail behind the Tiles to prevent the Slime from offgasing.  It will do so on Rails in open space, but not on Rails that are inside Tiles.

I've been doing some improvements on my Slime Cube. The first pic I posted was the super deluxe version that was double the size of my original design, which I've gone back to after observing Puft behavior. The 2x2 cages were not needed.

20180328111729_1.thumb.jpg.c5f0d542ce2edd0c0e93e8c6441f3f76.jpg

This is not even close to complete. I only have 2 Morbs at the moment (1 is hidden behind a Puft) and I was forced to make a PO farm that is just below it to pump it into the room while the pump inside the cube removes all the O2 that was trapped inside when I built it. I haven't played with Conveyors yet, but I could place to under the Grooming Station. I could even make the design 1 level lower without the Storage needed, but I like the cube design.

Archived