Rear wall decorative tile

ONI uses a 2D side view perspective like Terraria and Craft the World.  Both of these games allow the player to build a decorative back wall in any unoccupied space, generally of the same types of material/patterns as foreground walls/floors.  These game need these rear walls particularly to block out the sky when one is building above ground (as it would just look dumb to see the sky inside a house) but ONI being entirely underground doesn't face this issues.  I propose these rear walls be added primarily for decor purposes with modest +1 or +2 decor at a small radius per tile.

In ONI we already have the Thermo plate which exists in a similar 'layer' in the background.  It would just be relatively simple to add new options for stone/metal decorative equivalents, I would call them 'panels' and provide them in a few stylized forms to give us some artistic options in the base.

Just now, ImpalerWrG said:

..decor purposes with modest +1 or +2 decor at a small radius per tile...

For decor yes, but i wouldn't give them any positive decor bonus. So far only zones with heavy wire are hard to decorate high enough (green).

I'd rather have it automatically appear for rooms: The engine is able to detect rooms by criterias. If a room has been detected the background should change depending on the detected room.

And we already know the rooms may give different buffs for dupes.

1 hour ago, Ricordis said:

I'd rather have it automatically appear for rooms: The engine is able to detect rooms by criterias. If a room has been detected the background should change depending on the detected room.

This sounds like it would add a lot of life to the way the colony looks. to flesh out that theme I'd love to see the addition of a hallway room, perhaps with a small movespeed bonus.

3 hours ago, Ricordis said:

Thats a pretty good idea!

I really like this idea, I guess the only problem is that a change in background could make gases harder to distinguish visually (although it takes quite a while for them to build up to levels where you can see them). Also I guess visual clutter could be an issue as there's already wires and 2 layers of pipes to display.Thermo plates right now look completely horrendous if not tiled. I like that idea of rooms being made of background tiles by default.

Someone else mentioned anywhere decorations could also change their appereance depending on the room they are built in. This would fit with my room-wallpaper idea. Something like these:

Farm:
Sculpting Block => Scarecrow
Canvas => Some Pictures of Vegetables and Farming Equipment

Power Plant:
SB => Locker
C => Electrical warning signs

Mess Hall:
SB => Vending Machine/Water Dispenser
C => The current ones

Med Bay:
SB => Dupe Model Skeleton
C => Medical Diagrams

and so on...you get the idea.

1 hour ago, Ricordis said:

Someone else mentioned anywhere decorations could also change their appereance depending on the room they are built in. This would fit with my room-wallpaper idea. Something like these:

Farm:
Sculpting Block => Scarecrow
Canvas => Some Pictures of Vegetables and Farming Equipment

Power Plant:
SB => Locker
C => Electrical warning signs

Mess Hall:
SB => Vending Machine/Water Dispenser
C => The current ones

Med Bay:
SB => Dupe Model Skeleton
C => Medical Diagrams

and so on...you get the idea.

Love this idea.

Would love to see a crypt room that the requirement is at least one memorial is present. There could be a debuff here as opposed to a benefit for morale. The SB here could be an angel dupe (Meep with wings?).

Archived