Sources of Algae?

I've yet to reach the end-game but I am wondering if there are any other sources of algae in the game. So far, I've just found algae in the world to mine, and algae converted from slime using the Distiller.

I'm guessing that in the long term you have to eventually switch to electrolyzers for oxygen, because eventually you will mine out all algae and it's hard to get enough pufts to make slime to covert to algae. At least in the OP update, maybe the Rancher update will make Slime>to algae production supportable if you can breed enough pufts?

44 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

So far in Rancher 4 tamed pufts (max for a single stable) can produce enough to run 1 algae distiller which in turn can run 1 deoxydizer 

Doesn't it take 3 algae distillers to run 1 deoxydizer?

4 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

As far as I am aware yes, 200g from a distiller and 550g for a deoxydizer as far as i remember

Yeah, but what I really meant is I want to know if the 4 tamed puft in the new update can run 1 algae distiller (1/3 of an electrolyser) or 1 electrolyser (3 algae distillers) or if something was changed because I can't figure it out based on what is posted and I cant verify it right now :D 

24 minutes ago, Mariilyn said:

Yeah, but what I really meant is I want to know if the 4 tamed puft in the new update can run 1 algae distiller (1/3 of an electrolyser) or 1 electrolyser (3 algae distillers) or if something was changed because I can't figure it out based on what is posted and I cant verify it right now :D 

I get about 350kg per cycle with 4 tamed pufts.  350000 divide by 600 will give you 583 g/s slime and Distillers need 600 g/s slime so it's pretty close

So to run one deoxydizer you will need 12 tamed pufts in 3 stables

FYI a single tamed puft can support 22 dust caps

7 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

So to run one deoxydizer you will need 12 tamed pufts in 3 stables

Thanks for the info... for a while I though 350kg/cycle was for a single puft and was actually hoping to be able to run a deoxydiser full time with only 4 pufts. Would have been too intense lol

Just now, Mariilyn said:

Thanks for the info... for a while I though 350kg/cycle was for a single puft and was actually hoping to be able to run a deoxydiser full time with only 4 pufts. Would have been too intense lol

no problem, sorry about my math earlier, I forgot you need 3 distillers to run 1 deoxydizer

If oxygen is your goal, would pushing the pWater into a sieve into electrolyzers not be a more exhaustive approach? As long as the setup is right, and my calculations which are totally disregarding how mysterious hydrogen is, it should generate far more spare power than the fertiliser route.

7 minutes ago, itsYiyas said:

and my calculations which are totally disregarding how mysterious hydrogen is, it should generate far more spare power than the fertiliser route.

care to share your calculations? I have a feeling you are way off as no one had been able to make a substantial power generation with hydrogen.  Most of the time it just covers the power needed to generate oxygen 

48 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

care to share your calculations? I have a feeling you are way off as no one had been able to make a substantial power generation with hydrogen.  Most of the time it just covers the power needed to generate oxygen 

On the preview build I got it working - i was hitting max pressure on the algae deoxidiser so I ended up with spare algae and less oxygen. Even with my calculations though, I'm generating an absurd amount of spare power - I theorised 121KJ/cycle but as you can see it is 181KJ.

EDIT: sorry, https://imgur.com/a/bnQrN

EDIT2: I think there's a bug in the reporting system the numbers did seem too true afterall -

image.png.a15a2d4b71030dcc3d3ba683b7a92fb8.png

The system actually seems to generate about 100KJ a day spare or about 160w

15 minutes ago, itsYiyas said:

On the preview build I got it working - i was hitting max pressure on the algae deoxidiser so I ended up with spare algae and less oxygen. Even with my calculations though, I'm generating an absurd amount of spare power - I theorised 121KJ/cycle but as you can see it is 181KJ.

EDIT: sorry, https://imgur.com/a/bnQrN

From your spreadsheet, it looks like you're piping water directly from distiller -> sieve -> electrolyzer, and not pumping oxygen out of the electrolyzer. Usually when people do the math on electrolyzers, they include the costs of a liquid pump to push water to it and gas pumps to distribute the oxygen, and possibly even a filter to separate H and O2.

But the bottom line is that it's very hard to do a direct comparison between any two buildings or sub-systems in this game since there are always externalities and differences of configuration from one situation to the next. For example, you didn't handle heat in your calculations, and electrolyzers put out O2 at 70C.

31 minutes ago, Supraluminal said:

From your spreadsheet, it looks like you're piping water directly from distiller -> sieve -> electrolyzer, and not pumping oxygen out of the electrolyzer. Usually when people do the math on electrolyzers, they include the costs of a liquid pump to push water to it and gas pumps to distribute the oxygen, and possibly even a filter to separate H and O2.

But the bottom line is that it's very hard to do a direct comparison between any two buildings or sub-systems in this game since there are always externalities and differences of configuration from one situation to the next. For example, you didn't handle heat in your calculations, and electrolyzers put out O2 at 70C.

You only need a liquid pump in the natural gas situation because it gets dropped onto the floor.

People have also solved the warming issues of electrolyzers in many ways, and having an electrolyzer that is running at 40% compared to 65-75% means even less cooling is required. The matter of fact is you are generating triple the oxygen for the same spare energy, which may even be enough to cool that oxygen down.

I did make a BIG mistake in my sheet by putting the water pump as 500g/s instead of 10kg/s - which ends up in the presumption that nGas loop makes 117KJ spare on paper and ingame it's come to around 95-105KJ which is the same as the electrolyzer system.

image.thumb.png.4399c9637ce8aee9b8e86c5e198c3203.png

Even my base doesn't run on 100% hydrogen and I live by the stuff

*Snorts some Hydrogen*

If I were to do something to get rid of all the oxygen so that they are on more then I could possibly reach 100% but my base is rather minimal on power, and the intermitency of power drain helps reduce it.

That's an interesting point - that you have too much oxygen. The excess oxygen created by pushing pWater into Oxygen enables space for more dupes, who are not only worth 400w but also pee some pWater every cycle as well.

I've gone over it a few times and I am fairly sure that (after taking slime into mushrooms) the 360kg/day of slime can entirely support 5 dupes when pushed into an electrolyzer vs 2 when pushed into fertilizers. As such, this leads to 1200w for "free" via hamster wheels, and is effectively 2x the power output of natural gas loop.

15 minutes ago, itsYiyas said:

That's an interesting point - that you have too much oxygen. The excess oxygen created by pushing pWater into Oxygen enables space for more dupes, who are not only worth 400w but also pee some pWater every cycle as well.

I've gone over it a few times and I am fairly sure that (after taking slime into mushrooms) the 360kg/day of slime can entirely support 5 dupes when pushed into an electrolyzer vs 2 when pushed into fertilizers. As such, this leads to 1200w for "free" via hamster wheels, and is effectively 2x the power output of natural gas loop.

a stable with 4 pufts can provide 350kg/cycle slime.  I'm assuming your talking about distilling it into algae and using deoxydizers not electrolyzers 

1 minute ago, Neotuck said:

a stable with 4 pufts can provide 350kg/cycle slime.  I'm assuming your talking about distilling it into algae and using deoxydizers not electrolyzers 

Through distilling you get 200g algae and 400g pWater, sieve that into 400g water and you can run an electrolyzer.

11 minutes ago, itsYiyas said:

Through distilling you get 200g algae and 400g pWater, sieve that into 400g water and you can run an electrolyzer.

and that will run 1/3rd a deoxydizer and 2/5th an electrolyzer.  If my math is right that will provide 520 O2 g/s which can support 5 dupes without diver lungs

that beats the 300 PO2 g/s it takes to feed 4 pufts if you chose to convert it to O2 with a deodorizer 

2 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

and that will run 1/3rd a deoxydizer and 2/5th an electrolyzer.  If my math is right that will provide 520 O2 g/s which can support 5 dupes without diver lungs

That's right, between the slime and recycling their lavatory water it's easy to maintain 5 dupes - it's not even that hard to cool the oxygen because the electrolyzer never runs at full power and if you don't use gas pumps then it can power itself entirely.

6 minutes ago, itsYiyas said:

That's right, between the slime and recycling their lavatory water it's easy to maintain 5 dupes - it's not even that hard to cool the oxygen because the electrolyzer never runs at full power and if you don't use gas pumps then it can power itself entirely.

they need to upgrade the dust cap as an ingredient.  the +1 for grilled mushrooms just isn't enough anymore 

Mushroom stew would be a good idea (dust cap + pincha peppernut)

Archived