Fighting the compulsion to acquire more stuff

I'm becoming a slave to accumulating gems and thulecite.    Every 20 or so days it is time to kill Fuelweaver and then raid the ruins once more.   It's weird but at this point I'm not doing it just to get more, it's because I feel for some strange reason that if I miss an opportunity I'm not doing my duty.    The only reason to keep going is to get a few more Houndius Shootius for the caves, hopefully after that I can stop because it is a drain on time and other DST projects in my world.   Projects like building a network of roads both above and below for instance.

Start burning some thulecite then. Build some walls. Use the pick/axe. Make lots of lazy foragers and watch their durability drain extremely quick while you farm trees. Exclusively use thulecite armor and crowns (even against spiders).

Or you could maybe, you know, stop once you've gotten about a chest full of thulecite. But that's not as fun as needlessly wasting it.

I was going to copy paste a definition of OCD but all the ones I could find are written by people who don't have it and thus don't know what they're talking about.

But yeah what you describe is obsessive compulsion, you feel the need to do it because if you don't then things feel wrong and it's extremely discomforting. It's probably localized to thulecite and gems because those are the most valuable things in the game which the player can acquire at any time if they choose, so it is a choice to gather them or not at any time. Either that or it's just morbid avarice. 

3 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Start burning some thulecite then. Build some walls. Use the pick/axe. Make lots of lazy foragers and watch their durability drain extremely quick while you farm trees. Exclusively use thulecite armor and crowns (even against spiders).

Or you could maybe, you know, stop once you've gotten about a chest full of thulecite. But that's not as fun as needlessly wasting it.

Oh I wish I could do that

Archived