Oil to Petro without machines?

Cant seem to figure it out, but there's an area where ive been digging to for starting my plastic making.

Not sure why this is happening, is it possible to setup an area that does this on purpose?

in that room with lots of natural gas and the slicksters with some oil in there, you can see a bit of petro puddled up.

Not sure whats cause the oil to refine on its own, if its temp, or pressure, or natural gas on the oil, slicksters breathing in NG?

petro.jpg

2 minutes ago, MythN7 said:

Cant seem to figure it out, but there's an area where ive been digging to for starting my plastic making.

Not sure why this is happening, is it possible to setup an area that does this on purpose?

in that room with lots of natural gas and the slicksters with some oil in there, you can see a bit of petro puddled up.

Not sure whats cause the oil to refine on its own, if its temp, or pressure, or natural gas on the oil, slicksters breathing in NG?

petro.jpg

you get petrol and natural gas by cooking the crude oil. Usually done with a valve and a open spot of magma.

Just now, Kabrute said:

magma biome bled into your oil biome, to do it in reverse dig out the abysalite

so magma hitting oil turns it to petro?

The oil in the NG cave thing is 145+C temp. many blocks more than 150C 145 is coldest one i could see in that pool of oil.

1 minute ago, Kabrute said:

yes because its hot

the magma becomes igneous rock the petro comes from the oil, just so we are clear

ok, so the answer to my orig post is just if you can make the oil really hot in a standing pool, it will convert on its own to petro?

What temp does this happen at exactly in the game?

since the oil biome is mostly igneous rock its basically impossible to notice extra blocks of igneous laying around but all the petro and nat gas are the clue to extra heat, and the only source of that is the magma

look at the evaporation point of oil, thats the petro creation point, I think its 338c, you have to go atleast 3c over whatever number it says.  Then you have to get the petro to 540c+ for nat gas I forget the exact values but if you click the fluids and look at the window that pops up look for evaporation temp

since the oil biome is mostly igneous rock its basically impossible to notice extra blocks of igneous laying around but all the petro and nat gas are the clue to extra heat, and the only source of that is the magma

when i get exo suits built up, right now just using a cool jacket on my one master digger hehe.

I will go down there and dig out all the non abys.

Then put the build up obsidian blocker between magma and the oil, and see if it turns at a useable rate from that kinda heat transfer.

been playing around down there, put a cool vest on my dups with the exo suit. they can hang out, they complain with the fire icon bubble, but seem to be fine.

From what I can tell, the lava turns to rock when it cools to much, and the oil is turning to petro when it vaporizes at 400 deg.

Heh, for some reason I thought it was like the mine craft mechanics, where when the 2 elements touched they formed new. like how lava and water in that game forms obsidian.

cant tell what temp it is, cause its ranging from 150 - 700 in the areas the slicksters are traveling, but they are starting to make a yelp sound and are imploding into nothing heh.

4 minutes ago, Kabrute said:

in this game it forms igneous rock and steam.... which if you think about it is more complex than what minecraft does....

ya i know, i just meant i thought the magma was turning into solid when it hit other fluids.

Which is not the case, is all i mean.

Just now, Kabrute said:

ah right, yeah its not about material interaction but heat transfer :p major difference in systems :)

the one thing i dont get is in the bio of the oil it says vapor at 400C.

But is it happening so fast you cant really pause to click?

Like is it turning into crude gas and then turning into petro?

no, it jumps to petro from oil, then from petro to nat gas

oil has no "gas" form

must be a typo in the oils bio then, says vaporization point 400 which seems to be when it turns to petro.

Why i was confused about how to turn it to petro and started this thread.

Just now, MythN7 said:

the one thing i dont get is in the bio of the oil it says vapor at 400C.

But is it happening so fast you cant really pause to click?

Like is it turning into crude gas and then turning into petro?

That's just a thingy with the descriptions. I'm not completely sure (just shut down the game) but polluted dirt also says something like 'vaporisation', while in reality it turns to (normal) dirt.

yes

but if you liquefy natural gas it becomes methane.....

heh, wow, so complex, cause much of my NG in this pit im playing in is very close to that vapor value.  and i seem to be having less petro than i used to, and also less oil, meaning i think its going from oil to petro to gas.

2 minutes ago, MythN7 said:

heh, wow, so complex, cause much of my NG in this pit im playing in is very close to that vapor value.  and i seem to be having less petro than i used to, and also less oil, meaning i think its going from oil to petro to gas.

That might actually be a really useful conversion: there is much more energy in natural gas than there is in petroleum and crude oil.

at the to of the ladder there, i made a 2 tile thick abys roof with only 1 slot open for the ladder access.

those temp shift plates are diamond, heh.

when built this the oil was full up to the ceiling, why i have the temp plates there, was trying to heat the oil they were in.

Just now, onlineous said:

That might actually be a really useful conversion: there is much more energy in natural gas than there is in petroleum and crude oil.

well im trying to get lots of petro for plastics. i wanna build lots of tubes and ladders heh.

Archived