Fancy "priority 10"

So I was thinking. I keep running into issues where dupes will just completely ignore important priority 9 (it seems this is more often with the preview). Now you might say "just red alert it". This doesn't work because, same reason they don't do it in the first place, I believe the errands are more "position based" than before. For instance, let's say a dupe is on the right side of the colony, and a new errand is at the left. Before, they would do it, but now I think they just ignore it. Anyyyyyways. Back to the point, what if there was a priority 10, where it would be like red alert, but more focused on one spot?

Errands do seem to be proximity based which is nice, but the problem is, even if you label something at priority 9, the job priority is higher, so if you want something to be done by a dupe, and they have a job priority, they will not touch the priority 9 unless A, it is there job priority, or B, they have nothing left to do on their job priority.

A priority which exceeds all others would be great though

2 hours ago, BlueLance said:

Errands do seem to be proximity based which is nice, but the problem is, even if you label something at priority 9, the job priority is higher, so if you want something to be done by a dupe, and they have a job priority, they will not touch the priority 9 unless A, it is there job priority, or B, they have nothing left to do on their job priority.

A priority which exceeds all others would be great though

yeah. I've lost 3-4 colonies in the preview due to algae being on the other side of the map and all the algae deoxidisers running out (it was early game).

After assigning a priority 9 to a dupe who is already busy, click the dupe and opt to manually move him. After moving him a block or 10 (doesn't matter) they should go do the task, so long as nothing else is obstructing them from doing so such as building without supplies being delivered first. I use this as an example because many beginners don't realize this and wonder why something isn't being built. Now with the latest Beta, you can assign another priority to certain task so its generally better to set your build dupe to build (very high) and supply (high) that way its possible they'll do both simultaneously.

19 hours ago, WiDOWZ said:

After assigning a priority 9 to a dupe who is already busy, click the dupe and opt to manually move him. After moving him a block or 10 (doesn't matter) they should go do the task, so long as nothing else is obstructing them from doing so such as building without supplies being delivered first. I use this as an example because many beginners don't realize this and wonder why something isn't being built. Now with the latest Beta, you can assign another priority to certain task so its generally better to set your build dupe to build (very high) and supply (high) that way its possible they'll do both simultaneously.

Thing is, that takes loads of micromanaging, AND I've already done that, they just run back; the priorities are simply broken. 

I like the idea of a priority 10. Make it cost something though like if you set it they will ignore their basic needs (like red alert) it will keep us from abusing it. That way too you are not alerting the whole colony just a few dupes because a task is extremely urgent.

Or let us choose the default priority. I try to keep my default priority at 3, because it gives me more wiggle room to prioritize my builds. However this requires a lot of messing with priorities since it keeps trying to go back to default 5, and with the new set up in Ranching it seems to not work at all because the hidden priority for tasks seems to be higher than the default I prefer.

Or if we are forced to just deal with all the micromanaging. How about just a button like the "move" button that says "do now" or "focus"  that you can click in the dupe box and then click on the task you want them to do immediately and as long as the task isn't unreachable they will do it (including delivering the materials)

The priorities and urgency and job tasks need some tweaking. I see where they are going but they are not quite there.

I agree there needs to be a priority level that causes the dupes to ignored their assigned jobs, and priority arrows, and simply do the jobs listed based on the normal left to right without exception. There is too much potential for an emergency where you need someone rescued by building/digging/destroying to then not have n architect yet to go do it right away. There should be a catch all priority that its all hands on deck. I'm not a fan of priority 10 being the way to do that since the buttons are probably sized for single digits, and the idea of putting a 0 after the 9 would be confusing. I think the priority 9 should be altered to function this way, that it ignores all other jobs/priority settings to accomplish a level 9 task.  

Well its debatable. I think this practice will encourage a lot of bad habits that one may not necessarily be aware of at the moment. Current priority 9 does supersede all others, the only difference is that like the rest it doesn't stop a dupe from completing its current task (task dependent). While I don't mind the way it functions currently, adding one such priority has its own cost/risk associated that aren't immediately apparent more so to newer players. Believe me when I say, this is far from the first or last time someone suggests this feature.

Archived