new cooling system

i found a cold CO2 fumarole, and we know liquid CO2 are very cold so maybe if we could isolate it encase in a insulated room with pump and run it through abyss pipe for cooling something, will that work? 

and also what are the types of fumarole that you found?

i found this:
1 leaky oil
1 liquid CO2
3 natural gas
3 steam
1 hot water

Could it be possible that the trick cooling the volcanoes is by using steam turbines?  Because steam turbines destroy heat and produce electricity.  Maybe we should just set up a bunch of steam turbines?  I don't think it can compete though.

12 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Could it be possible that the trick cooling the volcanoes is by using steam turbines?  Because steam turbines destroy heat and produce electricity.  Maybe we should just set up a bunch of steam turbines?  I don't think it can compete though.

can be tricky, from what I seen so far magma and molten metal cool and solidify real fast depending on the air and ground temperature around the volcano. 

Might be easier to use the hot steam fumaroles but I haven't tested it yet

8 minutes ago, Lutzkhie said:

volcanoes are added so that we can use power station since now we have infinite source of refined metals
also probably to use steam turbines

what would you make use of cool steam furmaroles

cool steam fumaroles is pretty much the same as hot water geysers except a little warmer and you get less water

Sand is definitely easy now. 

I am very concerned about the map becoming an oven.  I have an idea involving building deletion:

1. Build a natural gas generator
  2. Cool the natural gas generator to extremely low temperatures (so that the CO2 comes out solid)
  3. Make the room a vacuum
  4. Pump natural gas around until it is >1000C.  Careful not to melt the pipes.
  5. Through insulted abyssalite pipes, run the hot natural gas to the natural gas generators
  6. Contents of buildings do not effect the temperature of the building if the building it in a vacuum (as of occupational update).  The extreme heat of the natural gas is thus destroyed without ever being
  7. After a while, cut off the natural gas heading for the generator.  Once the generator is off (monitored by a smart battery), it is hotter.  Go to step 2.

You can have multiple natural gas generators and multiple sets of natural gas generators

You can do something similar with hydrogen ad hydrogen generators (which has a higher specific heat capacity, so it might be better.

Does this sound exploity?

8 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Sand is definitely easy now. 

I am very concerned about the map becoming an oven.  I have an idea involving building deletion:

1. Build a natural gas generator
  2. Cool the natural gas generator to extremely low temperatures (so that the CO2 comes out solid)
  3. Make the room a vacuum
  4. Pump natural gas around until it is >1000C.  Careful not to melt the pipes.
  5. Through insulted abyssalite pipes, run the hot natural gas to the natural gas generators
  6. Contents of buildings do not effect the temperature of the building if the building it in a vacuum (as of occupational update).  The extreme heat of the natural gas is thus destroyed without ever being
  7. After a while, cut off the natural gas heading for the generator.  Once the generator is off (monitored by a smart battery), it is hotter.  Go to step 2.

You can have multiple natural gas generators and multiple sets of natural gas generators

You can do something similar with hydrogen ad hydrogen generators (which has a higher specific heat capacity, so it might be better.

Does this sound exploity?

you didn't explain how you cool the generators and if the CO2 came out solid (or even liquid) it would break the pipes instantly 

also a vacuum wouldn't work ether as the PW is emitted from the generators it will fill the room with PO

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

you didn't explain how you cool the generators and if the CO2 came out solid (or even liquid) it would break the pipes instantly 

also a vacuum wouldn't work ether as the PW is emitted from the generators it will fill the room with PO

It doesn't matter how you cool it as long as you can make it a vacuum after.  The CO2 will break out of the pipes, but I don't care.

The polluted water will come out frozen so it shouldn't evaporate.  Also, I thought polluted water didn't bubble in a vacuum unless it was bottles.  Unless they changed something or I am misremembering.

1 minute ago, Zarquan said:

It doesn't matter how you cool it as long as you can make it a vacuum after.  The CO2 will break out of the pipes, but I don't care.

The polluted water will come out frozen so it shouldn't evaporate.  Also, I thought polluted water didn't bubble in a vacuum unless it was bottles.  Unless they changed something or I am misremembering.

How do you maintain a vacuum if CO2 is leaking out of the pipes? 

perhaps one of us should test this out?

3 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

How do you maintain a vacuum if CO2 is leaking out of the pipes? 

perhaps one of us should test this out?

The CO2 comes out of the pipe solid so it just falls to the floor.  The only issue is that the natural gas generator will heat up due to its operation (the +20 W segment).  If it ever gets to the point where the CO2 isn't solid, the whole thing could blow up very quickly.

5 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

the CO2 comes out of the pipe solid so it just falls to the floor.  The only issue is that the natural gas generator will heat up due to its operation (the +20 W segment).  If it ever gets to the point where the CO2 isn't solid, the whole thing could blow up very quickly.

In theory it could work, just have to find a cooling system to counter the +20 W

don't pipes become "blocked" once it breaks completely? a damaged pipe does leak but a broken pipe can't be used like a vent 

26 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

In theory it could work, just have to find a cooling system to counter the +20 W

You can't use a cooling system while the hot natural gas is in the generator.  The moment a gas or liquid is in the room, the natural gas generator will start overheating and break.  You will instead have to turn off the natural gas flow with a shutoff valve, wait for it to empty, then cool it down.  This can probably be done with automation.

28 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

don't pipes become "blocked" once it breaks completely? a damaged pipe does leak but a broken pipe can't be used like a vent 

Broken pipes currently act just like regular pipes, which is silly.  They only indicate that something broke in the pipe.

I built the system in debug mode.  I took 20 C natural gas, pumped it in to a pipe, then piped it through molten iron, then in to the natural gas generator.  At this point, the natural gas generator was at -250 C and the natural gas was at around 450 C.  The outputs froze instantly.  I have been running it for a bit and everything seems ok.  Unless I let the room be bigger than the natural gas generator.   When it is larger, the side of the room has a small quantity of gaseous CO2, which is a problem and indicates a small error with the system.  Here's a picture:

image.thumb.png.f82e58dd4cf629889dbb7b8c38dc4107.png

52 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Either I misremembered or something changed, but polluted water does (in the occupation update) evaporate in a vacuum.  It was probably a bug.  Either way, I do not see any oxygen in the room, solid liquid or gas.

I stopped paying attention to it and did some other experiment and within 4 cycles it stopped working due to the heat.  I would say try to cool it every other cycle maybe?  I haven't figured out the specifics yet,

4 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

I stopped paying attention to it and did some other experiment and within 4 cycles it stopped working due to the heat.  I would say try to cool it every other cycle maybe?  I haven't figured out the specifics yet,

sorry I forgot, why were we trying to freeze CO2 with a nat gas gen?

1 minute ago, Neotuck said:

sorry I forgot, why were we trying to freeze CO2 with a nat gas gen?

That wasn't the end goal.  The goal was to dispose of a superheated gas in a way the game provides.  I proposed putting it in an extremely cold natural gas generator.  It would have to be cold enough for the CO2 to be solid to work though because if the CO2 were gas, it would be in thermal contact with the hot natural gas in the natural gas generator, which would overheat the natural gas generator. 

This all works because, for some reason, contents of a building are not in direct thermal contact with the building.  They exchange heat through the gas or liquid around the building.  That way, we can have hot natural gas in a cold generator.  The natural gas, and all the heat transferred to it is destroyed.  You could also do this with hydrogen generators or maybe the anti entropy machine.  Anything that takes a gas and destroys it.

Archived