I did a lights out winter world and used WX because of gears/hp.    For some reason caves seem to be very appealing in that kind of world, you have an endless food supply with mushrooms/planters and less hassles to deal with.  I only come up to kill giants for the most part.   Survival?  Not an issue but it does get depressing being in the dark all the time.    I've also played in a lights out world open to the public and grass is so hard to find because players burn their way around the map to see and stay warm.   

Ironically willow and woodie have a headstart in light out worlds, where willow has a decent starting light and woodie can position himself better exploring the map without any light and not eating for a while (Beaver). I'm not saying that they are the best, but they do have a headstart.

The most I survived was with Wigfrid since I was able to recover hp all the time, just fighting my way around against shadows. Also as wigfrid I avoided all the hussle of burning and extinguishing the pig houses to make the pigs come out and renew pigskins, battle helmet were far easier to make. I mostly ate meatballs out of spider monster-meat and mushrooms, or lichen. Also as @Mencken said caves are convenient to stay most of the time, just the constant need of lightbulbs is reason enough to my point of view. 

The game got very boring and depressing to me after one ingame year though, never played lights out more than that....

About the death and revival, torch stone is not a reliable way to revive at lights out. I suggest you make a life giving amulet (Don't put them in the pack) or make a meat effigy near the mush tree (not a lightbulb or your base) and always keep the lantern. These ways can help you keep away from Charlie after you revive.

Archived