Strained Wires

I find the game has a strange concept of "strained."  I generally don't worry about it unless my stuff is running out of power and turning off.  Just because the game thinks a circuit is strained (yellow in the power overlay) doesn't mean anything is wrong.

16 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

I find the game has a strange concept of "strained."  I generally don't worry about it unless my stuff is running out of power and turning off.  Just because the game thinks a circuit is strained means anything is wrong.

If you refeer to the power overlay saying a cable is "strained", that's wrong. 

The power overlay in it self is a bit sh*t, explanatory wise atleast. 

When cables goes yellow, it only means that there is being produced less power on that grid, then it uses. 

When it actually comes to cables being overburdened, and avoiding that very issue, there is only one way. Check the cables.

Max wattage says how much the cable in question can handle, status tells how much can potentially be used on the circuit and how much it currently uses.

If lines are being overburdened, either turn of equipment, put said equipment on automation so they can run "in turns", upgrade the lines, or just put up more power lines.

As SkunkMaster pointed out, wiring being "strained" merely refers to raw wattage produced vs wattage consumed.  If consumed is larger than produced, the wire will come up "strained".  The problem is the interaction with Transformers.  The typical setup is to have primary power generation setup on Heavy-Watt Wire, connected to a Battery Farm.  This is the Producer portion of the grid.  Then, you connect a Transformer, which will isolate a separate section of the grid, usually on lower wattage wire.  This protects that lower wattage wire from the raw wattage produced from the generators and stored in the batteries.

But it also creates this odd scenario where you have multiple sections of wire with wattage to spare, but they keep getting highlighted yellow for being "strained".  It's because the sections behind the Transformer have a 0 W of production, but consumption is reaching up towards, most often, 960 W.  The Wiring Overlay is not able to adequately process that the generators on the Producer portion of the grid are still connected to the isolated circuits behind the Transformers.

The easiest way to demonstrate this is to build a Coal Generator connected a Transformer.  Connect a standing lamp (5 W consumption) to that Transformer.  The circuit will show as "strained", despite the generation capacity of the Coal Generator being, what, 600 W?  For only 5 W of consumption.  You could run 120 standing lamps with that, and even more could be connected to the circuit before causing an overload.

Archived