Tunnel bore or Drill rig?

So I've been playing ONI for a while now and with the recent addition of "conveyors" I had an idea. what if we had a drill rig of sorts, say a tunnel bore that can be built in a 3-4x4-5 space and digs a 3-4 tall tunnel 10 blocks long and stores the resources it digs in an internal storage to be taken away by the conveyor system? or a docking station for a drilling vehicle that clears a 3-4 tall layer of the map and deposits its resources periodically at the dock where the conveyor system can take them away? the vehicle could act like an exo-suit and be "worn" by a duplicant with a high level mining job and as the duplicant follows a set path it removes and stores the resources it encounters and it could also periodically need to be refueled with petroleum. looking forward to any feedback you guys might have.

I had a similar idea but it was more like an oil/water drill, the point would be to punch into liquid or gas pockets and drain them without actually entering them directly.

Drill rig is a structure that must be operated by most advanced miners (finally a reason), You must feed it refined metal for pipe for every tile drilled.  The drilled material is ejected at the building so interactions with dangerous materials like slime can't be avoided.  The drill head can be directed by the player with rules similar to tubes (90 degree turns need a gap between them), you queue each segment with choices of strait, 90 clockwise, 90 counterclockwise and advance the drill like a game of snakes&apples.  The Drill head is a gas/liquid port and the base station can then disassembled to leave a 'well head' that has ports in it that can be connected to pipes.  The drill has no distance or turns limit but it dose not reveal any of the darkness, though you can see the drill shaft itself.  You can observe the drilled material to figure out what your drilling in, if any part of the drill shaft between the head and the base is damaged the drill stops working, the pipe can only be retrieved by deconstructing it.

Archived