Job and priority issue

Hi, some strange things are happening to my colony.
To be short, I have 2 dupes: farmer and courier.
They both are allowed to do supply works, but only farmer has an access to do farm works.
I set the priority of my storage compactors and planter boxes to 6, and the both dupes started to do nothing but deliver everything they can to the storage.
By this time my plants have grown up, but my farmer didn't even think about to harvest them and my colony started to starve.
Is it a bug, or I have done something wrong?
P.S. I know that I can set the priority of planter boxes to 7 and higher, but I still don't get why professional farmer prefer supply to harvest when they have the same priority

I also run into trouble with the new job system, so I tried to investigate on it.  At a first glance it seems like the dupes do whatever they want to do, but that's not true. The default priority of everything is 5.  All jobs, errants, etc run by default at this priority, with a specific internal sub priority like e.g. 5.1 for cleaning up or 5.9 for harvesting. That works almost similar on each priority level. If you set a priority lower then 5 dupes only do that stuff if they otherwise would be bored. If you set a priority higher than 5, dupes try to do that. Now as jobs come into the game it looks like that a preferred job has an internal priority of, lets say 5.99. The problem is that preferred jobs are always on priority level 5.x, resulting  in delivery and farming having level 6 or higher breaking the preferred job system.

For me the best result is having all duped being runners (delivery) for increased speed and carrying capacity. Switches and doors are always prio 7, fridge 8, everything else stays 5. If I set building or mining orders, I set them to prio 6.  Last but not least 9 is for emergency and slime containers.

There's no preference of job tasks to other tasks at the moment. It was introduced for a short while when the 1-5/* system was rolled back but then it was removed as well. At present, everything follows priority and proximity - a duplicant will do the highest priority task he has access to, and out of all tasks at that priority level he will pick the closest one. The idea here is to reduce amount of duplicants running around the colony.

If your planters are priority 6 and the sweep job is at priority 6 (or the compactor is at priority 6), your farmer will do whatever is closer to him. If you move him manually to the farm, he should start taking care of plants.

17 hours ago, Kasuha said:

a duplicant will do the highest priority task he has access to, and out of all tasks at that priority level he will pick the closest one. The idea here is to reduce amount of duplicants running around the colony.

True. Unfortunately this doesn't really help much to reduce travel time, because the next task is assigned at the moment a duplicant would become idle, and the it misses all tasks that will pop up in vicinity in a moment.

It seems that the duplicants do (sometimes?) pause for a bit after finishing a task, but one gets much better results if the scheduler looks forward to find a task instead of waiting.

1 hour ago, Master Miner said:

It seems that the duplicants do (sometimes?) pause for a bit after finishing a task

As far as I know, the wait is (partly?) because there's just one task finder shared by all duplicants, they queue for it.

1 hour ago, Master Miner said:

one gets much better results if the scheduler looks forward to find a task instead of waiting.

The used task scheduler (actually more of a "hopper") is very simple but making it better is actually very non-trivial problem.

It would help pretty much if the dupes would use the way from or to a job to carry sutff with them.  E.g. if a dupe has finished mining and is a on the way to its next job, why cant it use their hand to pick up some debris an bring it to the next store unit, or drop is at the nearest point to the next storage unit, if the is none on the way directly.

I just had both my farmers dragged into the farms with fully grown plants to harvest, and immediately run off to shower, since that was far more important than feeding themselves.  Suppliers also won't supply anything unless it's priority 9 or they're actively building it, so the oxygen production went down completely until I tagged all of the oxygen producers.20180215215435_1.thumb.jpg.f1d9d9487a73e1dd7309803d9f48eb5a.jpg

Archived